Anyone good at story telling?

Naoe

I need to some tips. I can think visually how something would happen, but when I try to write it or explain what's happening it's difficult for me. Another thing that happens is how to begin one, but I'm sure most people have that problem.

Thanks in advance.

For me it is the opposite.  I have no trouble starting a story or thinking of things in text form.  I actually have to take the effort necessary to picture something visually, which is why I'll never be a visual artist. 

First, do you read?  Other than manga, LNs, and VNs, that is.  The first step to learning to visualize a story in text form is to read, in order to understand all the tools available to you.  If you can't think of a written scene that touches your heart or your mind from something you've read in text form, then you are out of the question as a story writer. 

Some people choose to write an outline first.  Others brainstorm settings and characters.  Yet others jump into the story with no preparation except a vague idea.  I've done all of them. 

My advice to you is that it is actually easier to write something if you can bring it up in your mind visually and understand how pictures can be represented in words.  I tend to think in terms of cause and effect, expanding from there.  However, there are some people who basically plop a character into the middle of a situation with no explanation and fill in details from there on whims.  Both can work.  It just depends on you, ultimately.

Also, comprehending basic literary terms and actual examples of how they work (metaphors, similes, allegory, allusions, repetition, foreshadowing, etc) is important even if you prefer to use a nearly purely informative tone when describing.  You don't need to be a poet to create beautiful prose, but understanding how a poet does his work definitely helps (please don't mistake this advice for saying you need to rhyme... I actually had someone do that to me once).

Edit: Incidentally, I suck at ending stories... I can put down a thousand pages of text, describing events and the like.  However, since I usually start from the setting and characters or a single scene or concept I want to use, the ending is the one part I usually have trouble with.

Edited by Clephas