Level of Difficulty

Norah_Crisis

Hey there

I'm looking forward to all the many releases of this year. 

Its nice seeing more and more great titles and even whole companies stepping foot into the English speaking world. 

Though there are still a lot of other great titles being left behind. 

Now, we simply have to read them with translation tools (or limited amount of reading skills ;P). 

Though I'm always wondering. 

Even if there is a title that I want to read, isn't there a way to determine the level of difficulty of Japanese?

It would sometimes be really helpful. 

I think you get what I mean^^. 

Norah~

Don't know... just have a go at the first sentences of a novel and then judge for yourself.

I can tell that translating without furigana of any kind (supposedly you can transcribe the kanji with a good parser) is madness. Your pace will be a crawl and you'll waste a lot of time you could employ playing already translated games. Plus lots of us like other genres aside from VNs and have to pay attention to those as well.

I have found that the level of difficulty of a visual novel is inversely proportional to the amount of female characters with breasts whose properties are analogous to those of a balloon. You can measure this by scrolling through the sample CGs on VNDB and determining the amount of near-perfect circles.

axcFxMX.png

I've yet to find any exceptions to this rule.

The great thing about this particular topic is that most VNs have trial editions that you can try out before buying the novel. That way you'll get a taste of what's to come. Relying on other people's opinions about reading difficulty can be a bit misleading at times, as everyone's knowledge will be different, and what is considered easy/ hard is subjective.

So my advice would be to just grab the trial and give it a try. 

1 hour ago, Fiddle said:

I have found that the level of difficulty of a visual novel is inversely proportional to the amount of female characters with breasts whose properties are analogous to those of a balloon. You can measure this by scrolling through the sample CGs on VNDB and determining the amount of near-perfect circles.

I've yet to find any exceptions to this rule.

I hereby dub this the oppai-r-squared rule!

Edited by Nandemonai