Koiken Otome Revive TL Project

Dergonu

6 hours ago, Benji Price said:

Sorry for my ignorance but, how'd you translate the -kun, -san, -senpai expressions ??

Like Poltroon said, you wouldn't really translate these much at all.

Personally I would consider what the relationship between the characters are based on the honorific and try to insert some of the intent behind the honorific in the character's line, if at all possible. Beyond that, there isn't much you can do about the standard honorifics and titles like the ones mentioned in terms of translation.

4 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Like Poltroon said, you wouldn't really translate these much at all.

An argument that applies specifically to visual novels, and the reason for which I generally fall on the pro-honorific side in the translation of visual novels, is that characters sometimes have a line in which the only thing they say or nearly the only thing they say is the name of another character, and I feel like it would cause a reader to question his/her sanity upon explicitly hearing "Tanaka-san" but reading "Kyousuke." :sleep:

3 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Well, whichever goes I guess, although I slightly favor toward honorific though (But if you interested with no honorific go ahead though).

Same opinion here, I think honorifics help interpreting a couple things better that only with the name/last name wouldn't be so clear. And as Fiddle said, the difference between what you hear and what you read. But if your style is to adapt those expression too, then you should go on with it. In worst of cases, if the readers opinion after releasing a partial patch is not good then you can always change it back, it's no such big deal either.  

2 hours ago, Fiddle said:

An argument that applies specifically to visual novels, and the reason for which I generally fall on the pro-honorific side in the translation of visual novels, is that characters sometimes have a line in which the only thing they say or nearly the only thing they say is the name of another character, and I feel like it would cause a reader to question his/her sanity upon explicitly hearing "Tanaka-san" but reading "Kyousuke." :sleep:

Another fun one is when the writer makes a huge deal out of the honorifics in the script, like when characters change the honorific they use for each other, makes jokes using the honorifics and so on. Ah, the joys of translating.

I honestly don't get why people are so attached to honorifics.  If they're not important to the story or the scene, and they can be expressed through the tone and word choice in the sentence, I don't see a reason to keep them in the script.  Admittedly, I don't really like it when people leave untranslated Japanese words in a translation (leaving 波紋 as "hamon" in JoJo made me die a little inside), so I'm pretty biased, but it still seems pretty weird if the whole goal is to translate something into English.  I can see situations where it's much, much harder to remove them and reword sentences to properly convey the meaning the honorifics had, and then I'd understand leaving them in, but always leaving them in no matter what so that it's more "true" to the original is silly, IMO.  It kinda comes off as weeb pandering, at least to me.

More on topic, though, I think releasing two patches is probably the best thing you could do, Derg, if you don't mind the extra work.  Keeps everyone happy and all that jazz.  Kinda surprised you bothered with the poll, though.

Added bonus

I believe the best would be doing what you want to do, since you are doing us all a favor translating this by yourself.

There are some specific cases where the honorifics have a great impact in the relationship of characters, and removing them would simply remove the entire meaning of what the series was building (An adaptation of the honorifics could resolve this, though), but it's not the case with Koiken Otome as far as I remember, so removing them wouldn't hurt in any way the story or characters relationships, it's not important in any way so you should keep with what you believe is better suited with your translating style. :maple:

20 hours ago, Testarossa said:

I believe the best would be doing what you want to do, since you are doing us all a favor translating this by yourself.

There are some specific cases where the honorifics have a great impact in the relationship of characters, and removing them would simply remove the entire meaning of what the series was building (An adaptation of the honorifics could resolve this, though), but it's not the case with Koiken Otome as far as I remember, so removing them wouldn't hurt in any way the story or characters relationships, it's not important in any way so you should keep with what you believe is better suited with your translating style. :maple:

A small point of it was made early on when Yasukuni was trying to figure out how to refer to Seiichi casually, so I wouldn't put it past the authors to put it in again in Revive. Probably not a huge deal, but it could be awkward to work past if adapted out. 

20 hours ago, FenriRising said:

A small point of it was made early on when Yasukuni was trying to figure out how to refer to Seiichi casually, so I wouldn't put it past the authors to put it in again in Revive. Probably not a huge deal, but it could be awkward to work past if adapted out. 

True, you're right. It's been a while since I read Revive so I can be forgetting, but I think it's safe in this aspect for the most part, if any scene like this appears I'll believe in Dergonu's translation choice (If he ever decides to translate everything). It's a worst situation when the character is called by "senpai" or "sama", in this case things get a bit more delicated (There was one time I bought a manga where in the translation they made the MCs call a character like "Veteran *insert the name of the character*", it was really awkward in that context :wahaha:), but as far as I know it doesn't happen in Revive.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small bump to say that things are going well. I have done about 900 lines or so on Minato's route, which equals close to 20% on her route, and 3% overall.

My current TLing speed is slowed down a bit by university work. My classes ends in 2 weeks, so after that it should speed up.

You can always check out the progress here to keep up to date with the current %.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:49 PM, Dergonu said:

Just a small bump to say that things are going well. I have done about 900 lines or so on Minato's route, which equals close to 20% on her route, and 3% overall.

My current TLing speed is slowed down a bit by university work. My classes ends in 2 weeks, so after that it should speed up.

You can always check out the progress here to keep up to date with the current %.

Keep up the good work and thanks for translating the game

• 2 weeks later...

Started Koiken Otome 4 days ago, awesome to hear a veteran member is taking up the task of translating the fandisc!.

Voted pro-honorifics too!

As a non-english native, i am used to see and use foreign words everywhere and the honorifics are something that seemly even casual anime watchers "get" even with casual viewing.

My ex-girlfriend knew all the usual japanese honorifics and she wasnt even close to being a "weeb" or even into japanese entertaiment media. But one Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X + Sakura Card Captor later and she knew what -kun,-chan,-san, etc were.

But then again, brazil is (suprisingly) the place with most japanese people (and culture) outside japan itself. So my info might be bias :P

Edited by br4zil

Just a heads up that there won't be much TL progress this week at all. My final exam is next Tuesday, so I'm busy studying for that. :sachi: Once the exam is over, TL progress should speed up.

On a side note, I have found an editor for the project, and he will start editing sometime in the near future. So, that's neat.

• 3 weeks later...

Ehe, I was planning on getting a good chunk of TLing done this week, but then Chrono Box happened, and it ended up completely taking up all my free time. But, I have finished reading it now, so I'll get back on track with the TLing on Monday! Now that my exams are over, the % should move faster than before. Hopefully.

17 minutes ago, MFrost said:

Cool, how was Chrono Box anyways? it's on my queue but it looked good. I like the mysterious transfer student girl (I bet she kills the protag or something of the sort)

It was really good. It's a mystery/ horror type game. I don't want to say much about the plot/ setting, as it's a part of the experience to find that out yourself tbh. But yeah, it was fantastic. Really hit me in the feels.