eplipswich

Aiyoku no Eustia Translation Project (Partial Patch is Out!)

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

In this instance, they have presented evidence and concrete problems in the lines (I do not know Japanese, but those with cursory understanding of it could perhaps understand the evidence). This takes work and effort. It is most definitely not one of those instances you are referencing, where they claim the translation is bad and put no further effort into the criticism. This is constructive.

As for whether the fact that the translation may have issues affects the experience of an English player, that is a different beast entirely, and not in question here.

Not one word about the way it was posted .You don't post evidence and follow up with stuff like "You guys suck, fucking learn japanese or stop translating" And say it was a constructive post. That was an exaggeration to prove my point, but not far from what was said.  You'd have to lack some serious social skills to think this is acceptable behavior, or to post it in the first place. If someone wants to be constructive, pm the one who needs it and don't try to publicly humiliate the ones working on it unless you post it in a proper manner without being insulting. This shouldn't have to be explained now should it?

I can't say anything other than groups should stop doing patches like this. Counter productive when they get disrespectful feedback such as this. 

Just now, Stormwolf said:

Not one word about the way it was posted .You don't post evidence and follow up with stuff like "You guys suck, fucking learn japanese or stop translating" And say it was a constructive post. That was an exaggeration to prove my point, but not far from what was said.  You'd have to lack some serious social skills to think this is acceptable behavior, or to post it in the first place. If someone wants to be constructive, pm the one who needs it and don't try to publicly humiliate the ones working on it unless you post it in a proper manner without being insulting. This shouldn't have to be explained now should it?

Oh, the post was absolutely disrespectful. But as you say, I was not addressing that, and neither was Ange.
That said, asking the patchmakers about their grasp on Japanese because what you've seen has cast it in doubt is a fair thing to do.

If the makers and thread owners say they don't want this sort of comment publicly is one thing, but until their stance is known, let's not discuss the validity of the post over it being a bit disrespectful towards the work that was regardless put into making the patch.

39 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

That was an exaggeration to prove my point, but not far from what was said.  You'd have to lack some serious social skills to think this is acceptable behavior, or to post it in the first place. If someone wants to be constructive, pm the one who needs it and don't try to publicly humiliate the ones working on it

If your translation can be publicly humiliated beyond shit like honorifics you shouldn't be translating in the first place.

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Oh, the post was absolutely disrespectful. But as you say, I was not addressing that, and neither was Ange.
That said, asking the patchmakers about their grasp on Japanese because what you've seen has cast it in doubt is a fair thing to do.

If the makers and thread owners say they don't want this sort of comment publicly is one thing, but until their stance is known, let's not discuss the validity of the post over it being a bit disrespectful towards the work that was regardless put into making the patch.

As it often is, it's not about what you say but how you say it.

About that picture, I am well aware of it and it is indeed good constructive feedback, so it's all good. Also note that all the lines in that picture are in Eris' chapter only and not the other chapters. The truth is, Eris' chapter was translated by another translator, and while I did TLC of it, it seems I didn't do a thorough enough TLC (I didn't think it would be that serious), so no excuses there. Hence, I'm currently relooking into Eris' chapter (now that I'm done translating Licia's chapter) and ironing out the spotty translation mistakes in there.

That said, I might release another partial patch which will not only feature the fixes in Eris' chapter, but also adds Saint Irene's chapter (Chapter 3). We'll see how things go :)

More importantly though, it would be great if I can get feedback on the prologue and Fione's chapter, because those 2 chapters are translated by me, and there hasn't been any major feedback on those 2 chapters.

Eris' chapter is also the reason why I'm translating this VN solo now btw.

Edited by eplipswich

On 18/05/2019 at 6:05 AM, eplipswich said:

Eris' chapter is also the reason why I'm translating this VN solo now btw.

And Eris chapter is why I'm playing this VN :P

Tho about the online excel file, are you gonna change the stats for Eris' route translation to your "re"-translation progress ? (And I hope that the first translation doesn't contain too many errors for the correction to take too long...)

On 5/19/2019 at 8:19 PM, Kazami Yuiji said:

And Eris chapter is why I'm playing this VN :P

Tho about the online excel file, are you gonna change the stats for Eris' route translation to your "re"-translation progress ? (And I hope that the first translation doesn't contain too many errors for the correction to take too long...)

I might not change the stats since I might not take too long for the correction. Maybe a month at most. We'll see how things go. If it's going to take too long, I'll be adding the stats and I'll let you know :)

As a casual english player, reading the Eris route was smooth and coherent. I wouldn't have noticed the inconsistencies in the translating if someone more fluent in Japanese didn't point it out in that image posted earlier in this thread. My knowledge of Japanese is pretty basic and I originally read the novel with my meager weaboo skills and a text translator, so my input may not be very helpful. It does seem to me that a lot of effort was put into the translation though, and for that I am grateful 

Looking forward to Saint Irene's chapter, no pressure with that though :) 

On 6/9/2019 at 2:00 PM, glupak said:

I hope you manage to 'fix' Eris' route because im probably gonna play her route first :D.

the translation is readable, you probably won't notice the errors unless you look for them. the patch didn't work until I started a new game though lol

Edited by Skyspades