ICYMI: Crunchyroll reduces their video quality to cut costs

Down

Glad I never gave them a cent.  I'd be more willing to pay for anime if CR and Co. gave a crap about translation and video quality, but they don't, so fansubs ahoy.

My sister was actually talking about subbing to CR so she could watch anime on a bigger screen, and I managed to talk her out of it using this as an example of why they suck.  I hope more people unsub when they notice that it's practically the same quality as shitty piracy sites.

1 minute ago, Zenophilious said:

Glad I never gave them a cent.  I'd be more willing to pay for anime if CR and Co. gave a crap about translation and video quality, but they don't, so fansubs ahoy.

My sister was actually talking about subbing to CR so she could watch anime on a bigger screen, and I managed to talk her out of it using this as an example of why they suck.  I hope more people unsub when they notice that it's practically the same quality as shitty piracy sites.

Honestly, I am not even sure if that article is real. 

2 minutes ago, xGreyHound said:

Honestly, I am not even sure if that article is real. 

Why wouldn't it be?  Their PR guys seem to be in full spin doctor mode, which makes me think it's completely true.  One of them tried to say that direct rips from Crunchyroll were poor quality because they were illegal, and weren't representative of the product they're providing.  Direct rips.  Seriously.

That's not even mentioning all the screenshots that have been going around recently.  It's very real.

10 minutes ago, Kiriririri said:

It is.

Edit: You can see it in video size.

C6p0LZGWgAAhUK6.jpg

Rip Crunchyroll

3 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

Why wouldn't it be?  Their PR guys seem to be in full spin doctor mode, which makes me think it's completely true.  One of them tried to say that direct rips from Crunchyroll were poor quality because they were illegal, and weren't representative of the product they're providing.  Direct rips.  Seriously.

That's not even mentioning all the screenshots that have been going around recently.  It's very real.

Yeah they're fucked

36 minutes ago, xGreyHound said:

Then they're about to be skullfucked by people on the internet.

Twitter and message board outrage isn't ever as powerful or impactful as people like to imagine it is. I wonder what this will actually do to their bottom line, and if the money saved from the bitrate downgrade wouldn't offset it. I can easily picture them shrugging off the backlash for this and continuing to be successful. 

10 minutes ago, Decay said:

Twitter and message board outrage isn't ever as powerful or impactful as people like to imagine it is. I wonder what this will actually do to their bottom line, and if the money saved from the bitrate downgrade wouldn't offset it. I can easily picture them shrugging off the backlash for this and continuing to be successful. 

There's hardly any media coverage of it either.

1 hour ago, Dergonu said:

I have paying for Crunchyroll for quite some time, and I honestly couldn't care less. In fact, I was watching some episodes just last night and saw absolutely no difference. Even if it is true, it isn't even noticable. So yeah, who cares?

Uhh yeah
Old vs. New http://diff.pics/Tb0D8sX0IXXX/2
What it could be if they cared actually http://diff.pics/lJV9wcuIEbZf/2

1 hour ago, Kiriririri said:

Uhh yeah
Old vs. New http://diff.pics/Tb0D8sX0IXXX/2
What it could be if they cared actually http://diff.pics/lJV9wcuIEbZf/2

I was watching several episodes of various shows yesterday and nothing was wrong. I cant speak for other people, but it doesn't even seem to be happening for me, or it isn't even noticable outside screenshots, idk. /shrug