Any interest in reviving the Fuwa VN Reading Club for April?

Fred the Barber

Would you be interested in joining the VN Reading Club in April?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in joining the VN Reading Club in April?

This poll is closed to new votes

Lately, I've felt like I'm probably falling too much into the trap of reading only stuff that happens to catch my eye, either because it's new and shiny or because it's in my niche. I always enjoyed the reading club when it was around both since it forced me to get out of those set patterns and since it gave me people with whom to chat about what we were reading. So, I figured I'd gauge interest and maybe try to revive it yet again, at least for a one-month trial stint. Questions I'm trying to answer:

• Would we get a fair turnout, both to vote and to read?
  • What should we use for a "theme"?
  • Is anybody interested in offering nominations for the poll, once we have a theme decided?

And a couple of simple ground rules I had in mind, if we do this:

1. Nominations have to be, at the longest, a "medium" length VN on VNDB, so that we all have time to read it in the given month. The last club's dying gasp was a "Very Long" gameplay VN, which I think exactly one person read, and I'd like to avoid that mistake this time around.
  2. Since it just seems to frustrate people, no attempt at setting rules on when people can start discussing, though all discussion should of course annotate spoilers appropriately.

I'm tentatively aiming to start the poll in late March to select a VN for April, so if any of the above tickles your fancy, don't hesitate to chime in.

I only have been reading Japanese VNs lately and haven't read any of the latest(6 months) English releases, so I'm up for it. 

I think a theme isn't really needed. Especially for the first time in a long while. just exclude the theme from the chosen VN in the next 2/3 months. 

and I have some games in my mind that I want to read and discuss with others. 

Totally! The previous reading clubs had some really cool discussions (while it lasted) and were tons of fun. It also happens that I'm not going to be as unreasonably busy anymore and I've been kind of itching to get back to reading VNs, so this is good chance as any.
If needed I would gladly help brainstorming and coming up with themes or ideas.

That's a not small number of votes already, so what the heck, let's do this. if you've got theme ideas, start tossing em out there, and maybe I'll start a private message chat among the more enthusiastic people to pick a theme and then nominees for the final poll, which will be public again?

I know we've done this one before, but I'll toss my theme suggestion into the ring: music

(no Symphonic Rain allowed this time, since the club read it the last time we did music, about a year and a half ago)

33 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Would gladly participate, cause I don't have anything for 'must read' in the near future. Just hope that nominations/theme will be interesting.

You're aware that this could mean that you might have to read an actual moege, right?! You know, those not exactly story rich time-wasters about not particularly bright but cute girls doing nothing useful the whole time.

Just be prepared! :lol:

Edited by ChaosRaven

8 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Music as a theme sounds good. (Well, anything not sf sounds good.) I never get to read kirakira or....erm.... Yeah, right. What else is there?

Deardrops, Quartett!, surely some more that I'm unaware of.

Edit: Ar nosurge is on VNDB, just saying.

Edit2: Oh and we can't forget this gem. I bet Vorathiel would be all over it.

Edited by Fred the Barber

7 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Isnt deardrops a vague sequel to kirakira?

My understanding is they share characters but that Deardrops isn't really a sequel even vaguely, so it's probably fine to read them in either order. Also supposed to be surprisingly different experiences, aside from the obvious musical link.

Deardrops and Kira Kira are set in the same world.  There are 4 games:  Kira Kira and its fandisc (Kira Kira Curtain Call), and then Deardrops, and finally a crossover fandisc where the casts of Kira Kira and Deardrops put on a show together (d2b VS Deardrops -Cross the Future-).  All 4 have been released by MangaGamer.  My understanding is that Kira Kira and Deardrops are completely seperate, other than maybe a cameo or two.  Apparently d2b VS Deardrops ties off the whole continuity or something; but I've never played any of the games.  They're all on my list.

Sure, why not? It'll be interesting experience to me here, although keep in mind that I'll be not following though if it's Kira Kira because I'd already finished it years ago (My first serious VN and all). Of course I'll still give my comment here though if the April VN of the Month would be Kira Kira.

I will be sending invites to interested parties if there is anyone who wants to be a lead organizer for a renewed visual novel club. 

Requirements: You need to have played a good number of visual novels. I'm going to pick people based on a combination of interest and their vndb page so keep it updated and let me know if you have an interest in organizing. You also need to be able to post regularly and have the time to read the visual novel you choose so you can participate in the discussion. This may include creating a post every few months explaining the potential options we vote on (without spoilers) to get people interested in voting. Members take turns with picking themes and creating a post for said theme. 

5 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

So music theme it is, right?

So far nominated are:
- KiraKira
- Deardrops
- LoveKami
- Brass Restoration
- Quartet!
...and not much left in 'musical themes' on vndb.

You are also missing Symphonic Rain and a case could be made to include G-Senjou no Maou, and if I remember correctly Ef

10 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

(no Symphonic Rain allowed this time, since the club read it the last time we did music, about a year and a half ago)

An argument could be made for G-Sen, but it's a weak argument that will be made only by the uninformed and people who want to read g-sen rather than follow the spirit of the theme. I read a bit of ef and it doesn't seem to have any music theme much, but it's possible that this changes further on.

"ef" did cross my mind, and I'd +1 that nomination. IMO, the themes are more to help people think of ideas than to be really strict guidelines about a topic. Would also +1 G-Senjou no Maou on those grounds, but I definitely won't be voting for that since I already read it and didn't think it was all that great :P