Help me pick my next backlog title!

Martic

Hello,

I just recently finished Da Capo 1 and am ready to start on my next VN. I will be reading Innocent Finale and Da Capo 2 in the near future, but first I would like to read something else to cleanse my palate so to speak.

The titles I am considering from my backlog are:

11 Eyes - I haven't read a good Chuuni in awhile and this looks pretty intriguing to me.

Bazooka Cafe - I'm aware this is a nukige title, but for some reason I find it almost to be an icon of Vns. Probably because it was one of the first I read about when I discovered visual novels.

Demon Master Chris/Desire Dungeon - Awhile ago I got really into Bunny Black and spent a lot of time working on a guide for it. I'm finally ready for another dungeon crawler, but can't decide between these 2.

Kara no Shoujo - I absolutely adore the setting, style, and script for this VN. It might have become my favorite visual novel except that I stupidly stumbled into a spoiler on who the killer is and haven't been able to really get into it again since then. According to my saves I've started a new playthrough in November of every year for 3 years now... So I really should finish this so I can enjoy it and be able to advance to kara no Shoujo 2 spoiler free.

Princess Evangile - I've heard pretty good things about this and I was interested enough to get it, but I've yet to actually start it.

Hinatabokko - I've hardly heard anything about this VN, and the few things I have heard aren't particularly good. Still, it's been on my PC since I first got into VNs and I would like to finish it eventually. 

If anyone has any input on any of these titles I would greatly appreciate it!

I haven't read 11 Eyes and Demon Master Chris (and barely touched Bazooka Cafe absolute ages ago). Out of the remaining ones, Kara no Shoujo would be my pick. Evangile and Hinatabokko are both frankly shit, but at least Hinatabokko was drawn by my favorite artist.

34 minutes ago, Shioxus said:

I will be reading Innocent Finale

Why would you do that to yourself?

11eyes ive heard only good things about. princess evangile was probably my favorite vn the year it came out. demon master chris is meh. has some fun moments but just alright. play on normal mode first though. i did easy first and missed out on something and didnt care enough to give the game a second playthrough. hinatabokko is okay. nothing too special about it. bazooka cafe, just a simple nukige. its a real damn shame about kns as i wouldve recommended it right away.

so, vns i highly recommend to not really are in this order. Princess evangile, 11eyes, demon master chris, bazooka cafe, and hinatanokko. id say wait with kns since thats a major spoiler. maybe youll forget about it with time.

8 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

11eyes ive heard only good things about.

Then you obviously didn't read my review. Long story short: couple good characters, a couple forgettable ones, and a few so annoying I absolutely loathed them. Plot is absolutely solid. Art is fine. Route structure is garbage, and at a micro scale, the writing is terrible and basically ruined the game for me.

Bottom line, I strongly advise against 11eyes. I didn't like Princess Evangile when I read it, either, but even that was a less annoying experience than 11eyes was for me.

18 hours ago, Ariurotl said:

Why would you do that to yourself?

Well, if it makes a difference I actually meant the Kotori XP thing or whatever it's called. Idk Kotori's was the only decent route in Da Capo, so I figured I would give the revamp of it a read.

18 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

11eyes ive heard only good things about. princess evangile was probably my favorite vn the year it came out. demon master chris is meh. has some fun moments but just alright. play on normal mode first though. i did easy first and missed out on something and didnt care enough to give the game a second playthrough. hinatabokko is okay. nothing too special about it. bazooka cafe, just a simple nukige. its a real damn shame about kns as i wouldve recommended it right away.

so, vns i highly recommend to not really are in this order. Princess evangile, 11eyes, demon master chris, bazooka cafe, and hinatanokko. id say wait with kns since thats a major spoiler. maybe youll forget about it with time.

I think it's pretty much between Princess Evangile and Kara no Shoujo at this point. I've tried to forget that spoiler for 3 years, it just isn't happening :( 

10 hours ago, Light Darkx said:

Go for Kara no Shojo... Believe me it's awesome.

I started it cuz I was bored but then after a few hours I got hooked into it so much that I started learning Japanese for it's third edition.

9 hours ago, Benji Price said:

You won't regret any second you spend with Kara no Shoujo. And you will also want to start Cartagra and Kara no Shoujo 2 after you finish it.

You can also try G-Senjou no Maou is one of the best titles I've ever read, if you like the mistery/mafia context.

Yeah, I think Kara no Shoujo is my next pick. The spoiler is unfortunate, but I do really want to move onto Kara no Shoujo 2 and 3 so I'm going to try for the 4th time to get through it lol

Thanks for all the help everyone! After Kara no Shoujo and Kotori XP I'll give Princess Evangile a read since it got the 2nd most votes! 

Happy reading folks.

1 hour ago, Kawasumi said:

stop calling the tl the general writing ffs. the tl looks atrocious but stop calling the initial writing bad when you havent read it

Does the distinction matter? It's not like I (or the original poster considering reading it) can read it in Japanese, or like we'll benefit from it potentially being better-written than the translation (which I can't imagine it's not, though I wouldn't actually know). I can't judge the original in this case, but I can still say whatever the fuck I want about the release I played, especially when it's true and I have mountains of screenshots to prove it. The writing is terrible.

Just now, Fred the Barber said:

Does the distinction matter? It's not like I (or the original poster considering reading it) can read it in Japanese, or like we'll benefit from it potentially being better-written than the translation (which I can't imagine it's not, though I wouldn't actually know). I can't judge the original in this case, but I can still say whatever the fuck I want about the release I played, especially when it's true and I have mountains of screenshots to prove it. The writing is terrible.

ofc it does, youre blaming the wrong person for a shitty tl.

7 minutes ago, Kawasumi said:

ofc it does, youre blaming the wrong person for a shitty tl.

Sorry if it's coming off that way. This is why I usually go out of my way to say that I enjoyed the plot and a couple of the characters, to make it clear that I'm talking about the micro-level writing, not the bigger picture. Moreover, I don't usually bother trying to explain that I'm talking about the writing in the translation since it's usually irrelevant — I figure anybody who's going to potentially listen to my opinion on a VN is almost certainly not someone who can read Japanese in the first place. That said, you've got a totally fair point, and I should be more precise.

If you can read 11eyes in Japanese, the writing is probably fine, though my caveats about route structure and some of the characters would certainly still stand. But unfortunately the English TL reads terribly.

54 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Sorry if it's coming off that way. This is why I usually go out of my way to say that I enjoyed the plot and a couple of the characters, to make it clear that I'm talking about the micro-level writing, not the bigger picture. Moreover, I don't usually bother trying to explain that I'm talking about the writing in the translation since it's usually irrelevant — I figure anybody who's going to potentially listen to my opinion on a VN is almost certainly not someone who can read Japanese in the first place. That said, you've got a totally fair point, and I should be more precise.

If you can read 11eyes in Japanese, the writing is probably fine, though my caveats about route structure and some of the characters would certainly still stand. But unfortunately the English TL reads terribly.

yeah I guess I was lashing out at you a little bit too much, but when a translation comes out with shitty 2016 memes in a 2008 chuuni vn thats where I fucking draw the line lol