Worth going back and playing Da Capo 1 & 2?

voidpointer

I'm nearly done with Da Capo 3 R. It's been amazing so far. Is it worth it to go back and play versions 1 and 2? They're really old and the art looks almost as bad as Clannad's. I'm skeptical. Ratings on vndb for 1 and 2 are a bit lower than 3's as well. So far there doesn't seem to be any relevance to previous stories except for certain characters. By the way I'm assuming 1 and 2 have english translations. I didn't bother to check just yet.

Edited by voidpointer

Da Capo 1 was one of the first titles ever translated by MangaGamer.  Back in the bad old days when they had non-English-native translators.  I recommend staying the hell away from it.

Haven't gotten into Da Capo 2.  I hear it's much better.  My own experience with Da Capo 1 soured me on it pretty badly, badly enough I haven't actually tried DC2 yet.  Been meaing to.

From what little progress I've made on 3 (two routes), I'd say I prefer 2. It certainly has a better common route, if you don't mind the more generic setting. 1 is just an average to bad game all around. Real fans only.

In terms of story, if you're already far into three, there might not be any real point in going backwards... Or maybe there is, I wouldn't be sure.

with how others are saying how bad DCI is, I'd just watch the anime if you're truly interested. It also might get you to just go and play a certain heroine's route instead of the entire thing so it's less of a time-waster. I watched about 70% of it before I just decided to say screw it and go to DC3. I liked the characters better in that one than 1

So based on what most of you are saying: Finish up DC3 then play DC2. After that I was planning on watching all the anime (I always watch anime versions of VNs after I'm done with the VN first, even though most of the time I die a little inside after watching the Anime versions *cough*rewrite*cough*)

1 hour ago, voidpointer said:

So based on what most of you are saying: Finish up DC3 then play DC2. After that I was planning on watching all the anime (I always watch anime versions of VNs after I'm done with the VN first, even though most of the time I die a little inside after watching the Anime versions *cough*rewrite*cough*)

Then you'll sure die with DC III anime as well. :wahaha:

I suggest you finish DC II before watching the anime, you'll understand the end better after that.

43 minutes ago, Limerence_ said:

Off topic, but I've wanted to read the DC series quite a bit but not exactly sure where to start. Do I need to read DCs 1 and 2 to read 3? Is there a reccomended order?

Well, if I had to read it again I'd play Nemu's and Sakura's route from DC 1 (the main heroines), and then go for full DC II (if it's plus communication version even better) and DC III. And you can also watch the anime series if you like.

Edited by Benji Price

Yeah, the recommended order is, well, 1-2-3 (what a shocker)... but I agree that DC2 is much better than DC1. You do get some extra insight by reading DC1. Like, you'll get a better appreciation of the twist in Nanaka's "power" if you'd read her grandma Kotori's route in DC1, stuff like that. Is it worth it? Eh, it's your time.

But remember one important thing, young padawan:

DO

NOT

READ

DC IF

Edited by Ariurotl

I read 1 and 2 before i got 3, i actually posted the question here about how relevant the series is to each other here before starting my da capo journey haha. I only did sakura, nemu and kotori for 1 and did all the routes for 2.  It is relevant to each other due to that one character and since i did it back to back, i found it better to feel the depth of her situation far more. 

I didn't mind the routes i did in dc1, though i do agree that its fairly aged, the translation isn't the best and the story wasn't very consistent but i won't say more, less spoilers appear. It was okay-ish but i was just passing through to get to DC2 so i didn't mind it. DC2 was solid, all the routes were fairly enjoyable and the translation, story and art improved. Its not perfect, but its solid and i enjoyed it. 

I just entered the true route for DC3, i'm glad that I read it in that order back to back though, for me, it added quite a bit to the experience. Since you are going backwards from 3, DC2 is good on its own and since you liked DC3, personally I don't think you'll regret the read. Cheers :sachi:.

10 hours ago, Ariurotl said:

Yeah, the recommended order is, well, 1-2-3 (what a shocker)... but I agree that DC2 is much better than DC1. You do get some extra insight by reading DC1. Like, you'll get a better appreciation of the twist in Nanaka's "power" if you'd read her grandma Kotori's route in DC1, stuff like that. Is it worth it? Eh, it's your time.

But remember one important thing, young padawan:

DO

NOT

READ

DC IF

If what?

7 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Uh, it's not exactly a ringing endorsement that you can't remember the name of your favorite character from the game :makina:

Oh shut it lol. It's been years since i played it last and i couldn't be bothered looking up her name to save myself the embarrassment :reeee:

On 06/03/2017 at 10:55 AM, Limerence_ said:

Off topic, but I've wanted to read the DC series quite a bit but not exactly sure where to start. Do I need to read DCs 1 and 2 to read 3? Is there a reccomended order?

Okay, i'm half way through the true route of DC3, just dropped by to say that  you should read DC2. I won't say more, cause spoilers. Have fun with it, its a nice and decent VN. Cheers! 

On 09/03/2017 at 5:56 AM, DharmaFreedom said:

Okay, i'm half way through the true route of DC3, just dropped by to say that  you should read DC2. I won't say more, cause spoilers. Have fun with it, its a nice and decent VN. Cheers! 

Thanks you. I might be skipping DC1 though, due to the not-so-positive reviews and such.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2017 at 7:13 AM, Ariurotl said:

IF

What's so bad about IF? Looks like it got slightly above average on VNDB...

So that I have some context for DC2, is there any place I can read a plot summary for DC1? Basically, I want to read spoilers for DC1 so I get any plot references in DC2 that may appear.

57 minutes ago, voidpointer said:

What's so bad about IF? Looks like it got slightly above average on VNDB...

Without spoiling? It's supposed to be an alternative Kotori arc, presumably for Kotori fans. It's barely even that in reality. It reads like something written by a person who hates Kotori, thinks she's much worse than Nemu and does everything possible to saddle you with a guilt trip for the ages if you dare think otherwise.

By the way, since I have no intention of playing the first Da Capo, can someone completely spoil the core story of Da Capo 1 for me? I would like to know important plot points from the first Da Capo in case they are referenced from DC2. Not sure if there's a way to explain the plot of DC1 without spoiling DC2 though. Also if there is a wiki or review out there that already covers the DC1 story I'm happy to read that as well, provided someone gives me a link.

Thanks!

20 hours ago, voidpointer said:

By the way, since I have no intention of playing the first Da Capo, can someone completely spoil the core story of Da Capo 1 for me? I would like to know important plot points from the first Da Capo in case they are referenced from DC2. Not sure if there's a way to explain the plot of DC1 without spoiling DC2 though. Also if there is a wiki or review out there that already covers the DC1 story I'm happy to read that as well, provided someone gives me a link.

Thanks!

Uh, with a lot of shoddy memory and nonsensical plotpoints I never understood, the relevant bits from Da Capo I are as follows:

Spoiler

That island has a magical cherry blossom that blossoms perpetually. It, and the rest of the cherry blossoms, do so so long as they retain their magic, and their magic grants wishes wished upon it.

A lot of the routes have something to do with this magic, but what's relevant in Da Capo II and forward is Sakura's route.
Essentially, the lass made a wish to always remain as Jun'iichi remembered, before going on an overseas trip, so now she looks like a child when she comes back.
There's other details to it but honestly, I don't even remember them. Surely they're not important. If you grasp these basic concepts everything should be tickety-boo for the next game. Just know that the protagonist married Asakura Nemu in the canon for the next game.

Other relevant details is that the protagonist has the power to enter other peoples' dreams, and produce Japanese confectionery out of thin air.