Help with Non Translated VN

Benji Price

Hello!

First of all, sorry if this topic doesn't belong here. Just didn't know where else to put it.

Now the main issue... I really want to read "Da Capo II Plus Communication" for the extra routes and story but since it doesn't have an english patch (and doesn't seem MangaGamer is ever going to release one), I need to now what kind of tools are avaible to at least try to play it. I've read of a VN reader or so but don't know specifically where to look for it, or if there's a better method.

Thanks!

Text-hooking engines that I use.

ITH

ITHVNR

VNR (this one is clunky and takes up a lot of computer resources... a lot more than it really should need for what it does)

AGTH (an ancient text-hooker that is mostly used for older games... comes attached with TA)

Translation Aggregator- As the name indicates, it is a translation aide... it receives the text hooked from the game by other engines (the ones above) and uses various translation engines (which you install is your choice) and the like to either translate the text or transform kanji to Hiragana, Katakana, and/or romaji (roman letters).  If you know Japanese to some extent, I suggest utilizing jparser.  I'll leave the translation engines to you.

I'll leave explaining Chiltrans to someone else, since I've never used it and don't really know what it can and can't do.

39 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Text-hooking engines that I use.

ITH

ITHVNR

VNR (this one is clunky and takes up a lot of computer resources... a lot more than it really should need for what it does)

AGTH (an ancient text-hooker that is mostly used for older games... comes attached with TA)

Translation Aggregator- As the name indicates, it is a translation aide... it receives the text hooked from the game by other engines (the ones above) and uses various translation engines (which you install is your choice) and the like to either translate the text or transform kanji to Hiragana, Katakana, and/or romaji (roman letters).  If you know Japanese to some extent, I suggest utilizing jparser.  I'll leave the translation engines to you.

I'll leave explaining Chiltrans to someone else, since I've never used it and don't really know what it can and can't do.

And Jparser would be a translation engine ?? or another Text-Hooking engine ?? 

27 minutes ago, Benji Price said:

And Jparser would be a translation engine ?? or another Text-Hooking engine ?? 

Jparser is an engine built into Translation Aggregator that can transform kanji to katakana, Hiragana, or romaji.  This lets you get around limited knowledge of kanji in order to read the text as a phonetic system rather than a symbolic system.  For most people with a knowledge of the language but lacking a knowledge of kanji, this is more than enough to let them play VNs untranslated.

There are other, machine translation engines that can be installed into TA, but I'll let someone else explain those, since I've never used anything but Jparser.

Chiltrans in layman's terms is another version of VNR or ITH/ITHVNR+Translation Aggregator (TA in short), but it can just be used in place of TA - personally I run ITH/ITHVNR + Chiitrans as for some reason Chiitrans seems to parse the some words better than TA. The stay on top feature works for some games in full screen.

TA should also be able do things such as google translate of a sentence or hook into Atlas (I've never gotten them to work/needed them to work) - that is if you are desperate to see what different translation engine translates the same text as.

The easier way to think of text hooking translators is

1. You first need something to extract the text from the game engine, once you have the text

2. With the japanese text you'll need to either:

2a. Throw it into a machine translator and see the Engrish output (eg/ google translate/Atlas) - very bad idea for most VNs as its generally gibberish.

2b. Display it on screen with dictionary lookup on each word. As Japanese is not similar to English where one word is a word (eg/ みな means something different to say みなと even though they start with the same characters), there needs to be something to split the sentence into dictionary understandable words - that's where parsers such as JParser comes in.

Voy a escribir en español porque tengo mucha paja

No uses chiitrans, vos queres traducir via programa lo que en la comunidad se llama "machine translation" y chiitrans mas que nada es para leer si sabes japones y ayudarte con la gramática, lo mejor que podes hacer es usar google translation que es casi igual que ATLAS bien configurado (configurar atlas es un parto)

Baja esto:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8zjhfxys78r0bfs/ITHVNR-3.5640.1-win32.zip <--------- con esto extraes el texto de las novelas visuales, nada mas.

Después baja esto:

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/filedata/fetch?id=5717434

Una vez abierto vas a ver que el programa tiene 2000 tipos de traductores, cerralos a todos y deja sólo el que dice google, con ITHVNR abierto y ya habiendo agarrado el texto dentro de la novela visual con ITHVNR, abrí el segundo programa y sólo va a traducir, la traducción varia entre "aceptable" hasta "no se entiende una garcha". Lo ideal seria tener al menos conocimientos básicos de japones y utilizar estos traductores como ayuda y nada mas pero eso lleva mucho tiempo y estudio y no creo que quieras hacer eso.

Si tenes problemas utilizando ITH mira mi tutorial en una parte explico como se utiliza, cualquier cosa consultame.