Tayutama 2 Translation Project

SirHigginsXIX

*I initially posted this in the translation project archive by accident. Can somebody remove it for me? Thanks!

Hello,

We have recently started working on an English translation patch for Tayutama 2. We'd like to create this thread to introduce ourselves and to explain things while we continue to work on this patch. You can visit us at our website to learn more and discuss this project with us, or ask us here.

Here are our members:

SirHigginsXIX - That's myself; I am the script editor as well as the spokesman for Abyss Translations.

@Aki96 - Translator, script editor and founder of the group.

BerryChanX - Translator

@Huang Ling Yin - CG/Graphics editor

Potential Questions:

But isn't this visual novel already being translated?

You can see from this posting on Fuwanovel that we began working on a fan translation for Tayutama 2 shortly before the official English translation was announced. Unfortunately as you have noticed, the translation quality from Hikari Field looks shoddy. It's not just because the title been messed up by someone who thought that Tayutais and elves are the same thing. Having read the character bios, a few grammar errors are also present, and there is even one sentence which I could not understand. Although usually you are supposed to stop fansubbing works when they are officially licensed, we are in a difficult position right now where a great galgame could be jeopardized by substandard work. As fans, we don't want to see a disaster happen.

What is your release schedule?

We are planning to release a short partial patch for demonstration purposes. Based on the feedback we receive, we will decide whether or not we will release a complete patch.

What made you decide to translate Tayutama 2?

We like visual novels involving a lot of kemonomimi/cute characters that you can have a meaningful romantic relationship with, and we feel that there aren't enough of those that have been fully translated into English yet.

Edited by SirHigginsXIX
One of our members wants to use his name, and to add links to our profiles.

Actually we've noticed a day ago that Hikari Field's website had mysteriously closed down.

We've also sent them an email a few days ago that mentioned we were working on translating it and that we would be open to helping them since they seemed to be struggling with translating it into English. We did not receive a reply.

I'm beginning to think that one of the possibilities is that they've recently closed down. I'm also aware that no response does not mean it's okay release a fan translation. I guess only time will tell.

Edited by SirHigginsXIX
Fixed a typo

26 minutes ago, SirHigginsXIX said:

Actually we've noticed a day ago that Hikari Field's website had mysteriously closed down.

We've also sent them an email a few days ago that mentioned we were working on translating it and that we would be open to helping them since they seemed to be struggling with translating it into English. We did not receive a reply.

I'm beginning to think that one of the possibilities is that they've recently closed down. I'm also aware that no response does not mean it's okay release a fan translation. I guess only time will tell.

Their domain name expired, LOL. They probably didn't close down, they probably just forgot to renew their domain name.

Just now, Decay said:

Their domain name expired, LOL. They probably didn't close down, they probably just forgot to renew their domain name.

From my experience the web host is supposed to remind you that your domain is about to expire. That's kind of why I imagined that they shut down their business. I don't know though, we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by SirHigginsXIX
Fixed a typo

They just renewed it, so it will probably be back soon.

Domain Name: HIKARIFIELD.COM
Registrar: PDR LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 303
Whois Server: whois.PublicDomainRegistry.com
Referral URL: http://www.publicdomainregistry.com
Name Server: DNS10.PARKPAGE.FOUNDATIONAPI.COM
Name Server: DNS11.PARKPAGE.FOUNDATIONAPI.COM
Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Updated Date: 05-mar-2017
Creation Date: 04-mar-2015
Expiration Date: 04-mar-2018

Still though, letting their domain getting expired like this, pretty professional, huh...

7 hours ago, SirHigginsXIX said:

You can watch the Tayutama 1 anime before reading Tayutama 2 if you'd like.

The anime's ending has only the vaguest, most distant relation to the canon (Mashiro) ending.Ā 

Edit: Most of those who have played the Tayutama VN say 'there is no Tayutama anime'... and with good reason.

Edited by Clephas

• 3 weeks later...

So it looks like some time has passed since I've started this thread.

What has happened since then was that HIKARI FIELD changed the English title back to Tayutama 2, and they pledged to improve the translation for the game. They have also reached out to us for some assistance, and we are happy to help. Considering that they are taking the English release seriously, we will not continue with developing an unofficial patch for the Japanese version.

It hasn't been decided yet whether or not we will work with them, however with our discussions so far, this will likely be the case.

Edited by SirHigginsXIX
minor correction

27 minutes ago, VonKlaus said:

wil be only all age or 18+

Hello VonKlaus,Ā 

For now Hikari Field is working only on the all aged version. We've discussed this topic with them and their reply was: "18+ patch does not concern our work." This is all the information we got from them regarding this thing. We worked on the 18+ version unofficially, but since we started an official cooperation we had to stop. If there is any plan for 18+ patch it might be announced after the release of the all aged version, but it also might be not.Ā It strongly depends on the game's sales itself.

Hope this info helps. If there is any suggestion for the game, or questions, feel free to ask. However we might be not able to answer everything due to the confidentiality considering.

Have a nice day,

Aki

25 minutes ago, Aki96 said:

Hello VonKlaus,Ā 

For now Hikari Field is working only on the all aged version. We've discussed this topic with them and their reply was: "18+ patch does not concern our work." This is all the information we got from them regarding this thing. We worked on the 18+ version unofficially, but since we started an official cooperation we had to stop. If there is any plan for 18+ patch it might be announced after the release of the all aged version, but it also might be not.Ā It strongly depends on the game's sales itself.

Hope this info helps. If there is any suggestion for the game, or questions, feel free to ask. However we might be not able to answer everything due to the confidentiality considering.

Have a nice day,

Aki

But Hikari Field did release 18+ patch for the Chinese Steam version?

13 minutes ago, Kiriririri said:

But Hikari Field did release 18+ patch for the Chinese Steam version?

Ā 

They did for the Chinese version but as I said we don't know what are their plans, it depends on the contract between Hikari and LoS. Yes we DO cooperate with Hikari, but our job is polishing their translation, promoting the game and collect fans's feedback. We will try to open this topic again with them Ā but we do not guarantee any clear answer. Stay tuned, we will soon come with more info (I hope).

Aki

1 hour ago, Aki96 said:

Ā 

They did for the Chinese version but as I said we don't know what are their plans, it depends on the contract between Hikari and LoS. Yes we DO cooperate with Hikari, but our job is polishing their translation, promoting the game and collect fans's feedback. We will try to open this topic again with them Ā but we do not guarantee any clear answer. Stay tuned, we will soon come with more info (I hope).

Aki

I dunno if you said that seriously:Ā I don't know what was the deal with Hikari, but it seems like they see you as nothing more than tool.Ā Trust me,Ā they don't care about yours or fan's feedback, you're just wasting your time if you plan to bring back this topic with them. If you really worked with them so far, it should be obvious for you.

5 hours ago, Kirashi said:

I dunno if you said that seriously:Ā I don't know what was the deal with Hikari, but it seems like they see you as nothing more than tool.Ā Trust me,Ā they don't care about yours or fan's feedback, you're just wasting your time if you plan to bring back this topic with them. If you really worked with them so far, it should be obvious for you.

I don't know how can you call it a "waste of time".You never got in touch with them, we are in direct contact with the head of the Tayutama project in Hikari Field.Ā We are doing this to improve the translation as much as possible, we are doing it for the English (western) community and you really write something such demotivating like this? I hope you didn't mean it seriously. We volunteered to them and they accepted out help. WeĀ areĀ not doing this for money. WeĀ areĀ doing this for fun, for improving our languages skills (except Higgins, he is an American) Ā and also for obtaining some experience in this. And if they were really ignoring us they wouldn't update the English website which Higgins correctedĀ forĀ them,Ā they would never allowed us to post in their behalf here and also they would never kept in touch with us in the 1st place.Ā What is between Hikari and LoS DOES NOT concern us. We just care about making the translation as best as possible.Ā Regarding the 18+ patch: It WAS NOT Hikari who released the 18+ patch in China, but a different company did (I apologize for the wrong information earlier). That might be the reason for them to tell us that it's not their concern, because it wasn't their concern even in China, 18+ patch is something different than just a translation project.

So, no... We are NOT being used and the cooperation is profitable for both sides. For them it's maybe money, but for us it's experience and possibility to became an official translation group.

If there is something else you want to know or suggest, just feel free to comment further.

Thank you,

Aki

8 hours ago, Aki96 said:

I don't know how can you call it a "waste of time".You never got in touch with them, we are in direct contact with the head of the Tayutama project in Hikari Field.Ā We are doing this to improve the translation as much as possible, we are doing it for the English (western) community and you really write something such demotivating like this? I hope you didn't mean it seriously. We volunteered to them and they accepted out help. WeĀ areĀ not doing this for money. WeĀ areĀ doing this for fun, for improving our languages skills (except Higgins, he is an American) Ā and also for obtaining some experience in this. And if they were really ignoring us they wouldn't update the English website which Higgins correctedĀ forĀ them,Ā they would never allowed us to post in their behalf here and also they would never kept in touch with us in the 1st place.Ā What is between Hikari and LoS DOES NOT concern us. We just care about making the translation as best as possible.Ā Regarding the 18+ patch: It WAS NOT Hikari who released the 18+ patch in China, but a different company did (I apologize for the wrong information earlier). That might be the reason for them to tell us that it's not their concern, because it wasn't their concern even in China, 18+ patch is something different than just a translation project.

So, no... We are NOT being used and the cooperation is profitable for both sides. For them it's maybe money, but for us it's experience and possibility to became an official translation group.

If there is something else you want to know or suggest, just feel free to comment further.

Thank you,

Aki

You are a bit out of subjet here, I trust you when you say that you do it for the sake of improvement, for fun and everything.Ā Maybe I wasn't clear enough, what I was calling a "waste of time" was to "bring back this topic with them". When they say that 18+ doesn't concernĀ their work, no matter how you look at it, it seems most likely a lost cause. But if think you can change theirĀ mind go ahead.

Just now, Kirashi said:

You are a bit out of subjet here, I trust you when you say that you do it for the sake of improvement, for fun and everything.Ā Maybe I wasn't clear enough, what I was calling a "waste of time" was to "bring back this topic with them". When they say that 18+ doesn't concernĀ their work, no matter how you look at it, it seems most likely a lost cause. But if think you can change theirĀ mind go ahead.

I apologize for such an unclear answer. I proofread your post again and noticed you talk only about the 18+ patch. Well, it's not like we can't ask them again for better info. Communication with Hikari is on a good way and they might send us a better answer. But it strongly depends on theĀ confidentiality considering, they might also tell us that this is something that they/we can't announce yet. We will include this question in our weekly summary for them, so we just have to wait for the answer.

I hope this answer does better, once more I apologize,

Aki

23 minutes ago, Kiriririri said:

Most likely it is hard to get Lump of Sugar to say anything.

We are not sure what is LoS planning. As I said, our cooperation is only with Hikari Field and our main target is to make the translation as best as possible (basically preventing Engrish, that's why is Higgins as an American in our group). But I am personally sure that LoS will come out with the English 18+ patch. The only thing we can do at the moment is to wait for the announcement. Our group will now fully focus on polishing the current translation as much as possible.Ā 

Also as I mentioned before, Hikari Field (at least one member from there) said, they are open to fan's suggestions, feedback. So if you want to suggest something, or tell them something, feel free to do so here, we will send it to them directly.

Aki

4 hours ago, Aki96 said:

I apologize for such an unclear answer. I proofread your post again and noticed you talk only about the 18+ patch. Well, it's not like we can't ask them again for better info. Communication with Hikari is on a good way and they might send us a better answer. But it strongly depends on theĀ confidentiality considering, they might also tell us that this is something that they/we can't announce yet. We will include this question in our weekly summary for them, so we just have to wait for the answer.

I hope this answer does better, once more I apologize,

Aki

Don't sweat it, it was just a misunderstanding.