A fan translation+PC port of Higurashi Sui is apparently in the works

WinterfuryZX

2 hours ago, WinterfuryZX said:

That's a completely different project, man.

Not really, it's still part of the mod that aims to turn MangaGamer Higurashi into Sui, see what they say:

This patch aims to eventually port all the arcs from the PS3 version of Higurashi to Mangagamer's Steam release of Higurashi.

2 hours ago, Nier said:

Not really, it's still part of the mod that aims to turn MangaGamer Higurashi into Sui, see what they say:

The old project is different, they are only porting Suit base arcs' Cg/Voice/backgrounds etc to the MG release.

this is a complete port and english fantranslation of all sui extra arcs, a completely different thing.

I'm... interested, although I've heard Voko say many of these arcs are pretty shitty lol. 

I just hope this won't delay their PS3 asset/VA patches for the official retranslation.

Edit: For the record, I'm following MangaGamer's retranslation for my first Higurashi experience and I always wait for the Higutweak patch to get released before I play it. And I love the first four chapters, they're incredible. That's why I care so much that they won't delay the newest patch once Meakashi comes out.

Edited by Funyarinpa

Yeah, if you are going through Higurashi for the first time, just read the original 8 arcs as they come out re-translated/with the ported assets, and don't wait for the extra stuff in the middle. It is not worth it. Believe me, I spent around 330 hours reading Sui to completion - it wasn't worth it.

The extra arcs range from pretty good additions (the so-called 'advanced story arcs,' dealing with the darker side of Higurashi's plot through an entirely new set of characters and locations), decent, but meaningless filler (anything involving the original cast and keeping the serious mood, all the way to barely readable trash (joke arcs) and downright insulting dreck that will actively ruin the Higurashi canon and make you regret you ever laid eyes on such an abomination (this is mainly just a single arc, but it is enough to make you lose all hope).

In other words there's no stuff that'd be worth waiting for on the expense of the original, and there's also stuff that's just not worth waiting for under any circumstances ever. Still, pretty interesting for a project this ambitious to exist. I hope it goes well for the guys, but with something as ludicrously long as Sui is, they will need inane amounts of time and dedication. If 330 hours doesn't sound like too much to you, just remember that the original Higurashi has 8 arcs - Sui has 19.

If they do finish this, I'd recommend everyone who likes Higurashi enough to read the advanced story arcs (anything involving Natsumi and Tomoe), but whatever you do, do not, and I repeat, do not read the Kotohogushi arc. Save yourself the despair and suffering and just pretend it doesn't exist.

On 3/8/2017 at 2:07 PM, Vokoca said:

Yeah, if you are going through Higurashi for the first time, just read the original 8 arcs as they come out re-translated/with the ported assets, and don't wait for the extra stuff in the middle. It is not worth it. Believe me, I spent around 330 hours reading Sui to completion - it wasn't worth it.

The extra arcs range from pretty good additions (the so-called 'advanced story arcs,' dealing with the darker side of Higurashi's plot through an entirely new set of characters and locations), decent, but meaningless filler (anything involving the original cast and keeping the serious mood, all the way to barely readable trash (joke arcs) and downright insulting dreck that will actively ruin the Higurashi canon and make you regret you ever laid eyes on such an abomination (this is mainly just a single arc, but it is enough to make you lose all hope).

In other words there's no stuff that'd be worth waiting for on the expense of the original, and there's also stuff that's just not worth waiting for under any circumstances ever. Still, pretty interesting for a project this ambitious to exist. I hope it goes well for the guys, but with something as ludicrously long as Sui is, they will need inane amounts of time and dedication. If 330 hours doesn't sound like too much to you, just remember that the original Higurashi has 8 arcs - Sui has 19.

If they do finish this, I'd recommend everyone who likes Higurashi enough to read the advanced story arcs (anything involving Natsumi and Tomoe), but whatever you do, do not, and I repeat, do not read the Kotohogushi arc. Save yourself the despair and suffering and just pretend it doesn't exist.

What category do the extra Hou arcs MangaGamer will be bringing over fall into?

9 minutes ago, Decay said:

What category do the extra Hou arcs MangaGamer will be bringing over fall into?

As far as I know, Higurashi Hou should include the original eight arcs, the fandisc (Higurashi Rei) and some new Hou exclusive content.

The Higurashi Rei arcs were included in Sui, so I can comment on these. There is Saikoroshi-hen (Dice-killing arc), which is one you definitely do want to read. It still contains the spirit of the original Higurashi, and it kind of serves like an introduction to Umineko, if more for Ryukishi himself than the actual story - a fun read. Then there is Hirukowashi-hen (Day-breaking arc), which falls into the barely readable trash category. A pointless joke arc that has nothing going for it but Ryu's average at best SoL. I've also read something about Batsukoishi-hen (Penalty-loving arc) which is equally trash if the anime adaptation is anything to go by, but I'm not sure if it is even actually included... it's not listed in regular Rei for some reason, and it wasn't in Sui either. It's probably for the best.

As for the Hou exclusive arcs, I haven't read any of these as they came out after Sui, but they're probably nothing great either. The supposed Higurashi prototype/draft (Higurashi Bus Stop) does sound kind of interesting, but the rest is just a written version of the (really bad) Higurashi Outbreak movie, and Kamikanshi-hen (God-violating arc), which is a continuation of the Outbreak plot, apparently. No idea if anything that far removed from what Higurashi even was in the first place can be any good, but I'll leave that for you guys to find out, I feel like I read enough Higurashi to last me a lifetime already, haha.

On 09/03/2017 at 7:16 PM, Vokoca said:

As far as I know, Higurashi Hou should include the original eight arcs, the fandisc (Higurashi Rei) and some new Hou exclusive content.

The Higurashi Rei arcs were included in Sui, so I can comment on these. There is Saikoroshi-hen (Dice-killing arc), which is one you definitely do want to read. It still contains the spirit of the original Higurashi, and it kind of serves like an introduction to Umineko, if more for Ryukishi himself than the actual story - a fun read. Then there is Hirukowashi-hen (Day-breaking arc), which falls into the barely readable trash category. A pointless joke arc that has nothing going for it but Ryu's average at best SoL. I've also read something about Batsukoishi-hen (Penalty-loving arc) which is equally trash if the anime adaptation is anything to go by, but I'm not sure if it is even actually included... it's not listed in regular Rei for some reason, and it wasn't in Sui either. It's probably for the best.

As for the Hou exclusive arcs, I haven't read any of these as they came out after Sui, but they're probably nothing great either. The supposed Higurashi prototype/draft (Higurashi Bus Stop) does sound kind of interesting, but the rest is just a written version of the (really bad) Higurashi Outbreak movie, and Kamikanshi-hen (God-violating arc), which is a continuation of the Outbreak plot, apparently. No idea if anything that far removed from what Higurashi even was in the first place can be any good, but I'll leave that for you guys to find out, I feel like I read enough Higurashi to last me a lifetime already, haha.

Higurashi Rei here is the same as the anime? If so, is it as small or does it have more content? I ask that because I loved the arc and Rika's despair in it.

Edited by Silvz

5 hours ago, Silvz said:

Higurashi Rei here is the same as the anime? If so, is it as small or does it have more content? I ask that because I loved the arc and Rika's despair in it.

I was a long time ago since I've seen it, but if I remember correctly the content is more or less the same. The Dice-killing arc is good, but it's also pretty short.

On 11/3/2017 at 11:09 PM, Silvz said:

As for Rei, it's mostly the same just like Vokoca said. Although if there's difference, it would be one of Rei VN arc was adapted to first episode of Kira (Batsukoishi). So DEEN was only adapted two out of three arc for Rei adaptation. Although if I may said it's not major loss though, because at least the main portion of Rei (Saikoroshi) was still adapted.