Grisaia: Phantom Trigger Kickstarter Campaign Launches on the 6th March 2017 at 6:00PM PST

Nier

That's really fucking weird, the kickstarter is, at most, starts a little less than three months before release? It could mean that they already have a good amount of the translation worked on (if so what the fuck is the point of the kickstarter)...... or it could mean that the "volumes" are pathetically short. 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

24 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

That's really fucking weird, the kickstarter is, at most, starts a little less than three months before release? It could mean that they already have a good amount of the translation worked on (if so what the fuck is the point of the kickstarter)...... or it could mean that the "volumes" are pathetically short. 

This thread is thoroughly lacking in information.

http://prefundia.com/projects/view/a-grand-entrance-for-new-vn-series-grisaia-phantom-trigger/12084/ (Prefundia)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frontwing/1654338080?token=48c3cfc4  (Kickstarter Draft)

As far as I can tell, and it isn't exactly clear, the purpose of this kickstarter isn't so much to fund the two volumes but to invest in physical rewards and future volumes. "Help us enhance the English release of our new visual novel series". In all likelihood, the two volumes will be released no matter what occurs in this kickstarter. Their objective seems to lie more in the localisation of the manga, physical rewards and amass money/tally the hype so they can prepare for future volumes.

On the topic of length, the estimates point to somewhere around 5-7 hours per volume. That's probably a bit longer than Corona Blossom was, for comparison. Or exactly the same, around 4.

Just now, Mr Poltroon said:

Their objective seems to lie more in the localisation of the manga, physical rewards and amass money/tally the hype so they can prepare for future volumes.

That is really presumptuous, at least with Chrono Clock you could do some research and find out more information about the title before you spent money on that kickstarter. 

This screams we know you fucking swine will buy up anything that that has the Grisaia name on it, so you can give us all your money before you have a chance to be informed about the product. I feel like they should have waited until the first volume was released before they shoved a kickstarter out. If they are going to release the first two games not matter what I can only see that helping their kickstarter. 

This whole project feels really weird and maybe I'm just a cynical distrustful bastard, but I think I'll wait until I see some reviews before I throw any money on this thing. 

I know nothing of this new series but my first reaction is Grisaia with a different cast? Money grab. Though I suppose you could argue that they're trying to do something different. But I'm no fan of reboots or lackluster attempts at cashing in on a name.

Time will tell I suppose, but as a general rule I don't do preorders.

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I played it, and I found it to be less. In addition, most reports on it/reviews seem to indicate around five hours or less.

Regardless, they'll probably be similar in length. It's hard to tell and speculate about.

Well I am sure it is less if you click click click through the whole thing while skipping voices, otherwise it is about 8 hours in auto-read mode.

Anyway most people on fuwa tend to shorten the length of VN, like that guy who claimed that Steins;Gate was 25 hours long...

Edited by Nier

I've still got Grisaia 2/3 + the "OVAs" to read, but long term I definitely plan to check this out. Gonna be hard to match up to the incredible cast of the original series, but hopefully they give it the old college try. It's especially difficult to see Juicy Yuuji being topped personality wise, but I do like this new guy's fabulous character design; generally a fan of guys with long hair. Though when I was scrolling through the thumbnails on their official site I was under the impression there was no male MC due to them all looking like girls.  :michiru:

57 minutes ago, EdwardWongHPTIV said:

1-2 Hours per heroine assuming they even have individual routes?

Wonder if it will have the humor or if this series is going to play it straight? Honestly what I like most about the original grisaia.

I'm entirely discounting the very idea of routes. The format just isn't fitting.
If they were to do it they'd have to use more specific route systems or dedicate specific volumes to romance specific heroines. You know the Fruit of Grisaia? Every volume could contain a wee bit of story and then diverge onto a heroine path.
What I'm betting will happen is something like what they pretended happened in Labyrinth. One long story about their life in the academy and their operations, which each volume focusing on one heroine but romancing no one: The website has been updated with the teaser information about the 2nd volume. Seemingly, it will focus on Rena's past with Haruto (Protagonist), and on an operation the team will be undertaking.

EDIT: As for humour, I see no reason they would do away with such a series staple. It is one of the best things about Grisaia.

Well, I did consider it somewhat unlikely considering the time estimates. If anything I was trying to point out that it's a little weird to have more Grisaia games where there isn't individual focus on each heroine and their backstory. But then I've only played the first game twice and just started playing the second. I realize Labyrinth focuses more on the MC's backstory but there are at least the afterstories for each girl. Not sure of the third game. Anyways, I guess it's more accurate to say I'm a fan of the first game since I can't really speak of the last two yet.

You may be right about the humor but I have my doubts due to the lack of time. In my mind they can't realistically advance the plot, have backstory, character development, and have humor laden slice of life all stuffed into 8 hour episodes containing 5+ characters. Going to have to sacrifice something so you can focus on things. Otherwise I'd think you'd get spread a bit thin. Unless of course it's going to be focused on the MC and everyone else is window dressing. Making the heroines literal archetypes/eye candy.

/shrug. Dunno why I'm bothering to speculate. Kickstarter is probably already started?

Kickstarter just launched, here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frontwing/a-grand-entrance-for-new-vn-series-grisaia-phantom

It received 12,561 USD only 5 minutes after it launched, which is 15% of it's 80,000 USD funding goal.

Update: The 85 USD Early Bird tier is going very quickly, there is only 63 spots left only 10 minutes after the campaign launch.

The funding is at 15,509 USD now.

Edited by Nier

8 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Holy crap, they're really milking the Grisaia franchise. How many Grisaia games does this make? 0.0

The Fruit of Grisaia

The Labyrinth of Grisaia

The Eden of Grisaia

Idol Magical Girl ChiruChiru Michiru

The Leisure of Grisaia

The Afterglow of Grisaia

The Melody of Grisaia

Grisaia: Phantom Trigger

Except for Phantom Trigger, they are all available as part of the Complete Box that was released in Japan back in January: https://vndb.org/r49197

Edited by Nier

7 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Holy crap, they're really milking the Grisaia franchise. How many Grisaia games does this make? 0.0

Seems like they are going to milk the series till the cow is dead than grinds it's marrow and mix it with water, there currently is no planned number of volumes in the Phantom Trigger series and everything points to Frontwing cranking these out until people stop buying them. 

Just now, Soulless Watcher said:

Seems like they are going to milk the series till the cow is dead than grinds it's marrow and mix it with water, there currently is no planned number of volumes in the Phantom Trigger series

It is currently planned as being a 3 volume series, there is also the manga adaptation.

Just now, Nier said:

It is currently planned as being a 3 volume series, there is also the manga adaptation.

Well you are sorely misinformed. The FAQ states the following. 

How many volumes will Phantom Trigger have? 

Phantom Trigger is an ongoing series, with each volume comprising of a largely self-contained story. Currently the first four volumes of the game are in development, but the total final number of entries in the series is yet to be decided.