Why is Kud so adored?

Okarin

You throw a stone and are bound to hit someone with a Kud avatar or nickname here.

I'm in dire need of a re-read of Little Busters, if they put it on Steam I'll go pay, but -even though Kud and Riki had very nice chemistry- her route wasn't that good in my opinion.

Thoughts, threats, insults?

She's nice, cute, has the Russian factor, has unique accent, most unique appearance.

Route quality doesn't necessary equal character quality. It's not like the route itself ruined her character necessarily for people as far as I know, it's just the storytelling may not have been the best. People are capable of separating those.

I am also confused by why she is so popular. I thought maybe her route was just really good, but after reading it, my impressions are that it was just weird and confusing (Maybe I just wasn't used to the storytelling style yet. I liked Mio's route much better even though it employed a similar pattern). I suppose she is cute with her "Wafuu!", but not as adorable as Rin anyway. 

Also, keep in mind that Key's works are mostly non-ero (even if ero is added later).  In the purest sense, Kud is a 'moe-loli', without the inherent sexual undertones that make people feel guilty for thinking such heroines are adorable.  I'm not a Kud fan... and I am frequently exasperated at the way the 'loli as main/true heroine' trend keeps coming back.  However, it is rather easy to understand why Kud is popular from an objective perspective.

My thoughts (route spoilers, obv)

Spoiler

I liked her cuteness - and the occasional shift to a more serious personality (ie, the skin painting while under the stars).

I hadn't read a ton of VNs yet when i went through it, so I was likely more forgiving/accepting of how things were written - but I found myself emotionally invested in her route, esp. in the later half. Tbh it required serious amount of suspension of disbelief - but I respect the general message behind the arc: War doesn't care if you cute and innocent. Her endurance, and the symbolism of being able to hang on, b/c she knew someone was waiting for her, really struck a cord in me - regardless of any writing flaws. (Actually shed some tears during it - and I don't consider myself a overly-emotional kind of guy normally)

EDIT: @Kiriririri I hear you :sachi: In Ayakashibito, Suzu was my favorite character, but sadly her route was kind of weak imo.

Edited by Suzu Fanatic

8 hours ago, Clephas said:

However, it is rather easy to understand why Kud is popular from an objective perspective.

'Course, but I just wanted to read people's opinions.

Spoiler

I'm afraid I didn't cry during her route, I found the whole "there was an aerospatial disaster on the island so let's crush the government" pretty silly. What about the Challenger then? Oh, I know there was some kind of friction between the locals and the government (was there?), but come on.

Suzu Fanatic and others mostly got it right.

Little Busters characters are pretty good, and create a likable cast, but most of the routes don't hold up.

8 hours ago, Okarin said:

'Course, but I just wanted to read people's opinions.

I

Spoiler

'm afraid I didn't cry during her route, I found the whole "there was an aerospatial disaster on the island so let's crush the government" pretty silly. What about the Challenger then? Oh, I know there was some kind of friction between the locals and the government (was there?), but come on.

Suzu Fanatic and others mostly got it right.

Little Busters characters are pretty good, and create a likable cast, but most of the routes don't hold up.

lol... I found most Key games boring when I tried to go back and play them... a lot of it is because they've aged poorly.  I even found myself liking the anime better, in the case of Air.  Stuff I thought was funny years ago sometimes brought a smile to my face, but I didn't laugh hysterically... though I did cry at the right moments (it isn't a Key game if you don't cry).  All these years have made me immensely tired of games with tens of hours of slice-of-life, ahahaha.

5 minutes ago, Clephas said:

lol... I found most Key games boring when I tried to go back and play them... a lot of it is because they've aged poorly.  I even found myself liking the anime better, in the case of Air.  Stuff I thought was funny years ago sometimes brought a smile to my face, but I didn't laugh hysterically... though I did cry at the right moments (it isn't a Key game if you don't cry).  All these years have made me immensely tired of games with tens of hours of slice-of-life, ahahaha.

Meh, it's a unavoidable side effect of immersing in any medium. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Even I've been affected by it - and I normally champion that "tropes are fine if they are done well". I've gotten bored with most VNs nowadays - but I cant really blame the writers, its my fault for reading/watching as much as I have, lol~

Key's SOL is pretty good. I don't laugh with the humour nor cry with the drama, but the plots are always pretty appealing (plus those superb soundtracks... though I don't count Clannad here).

For example,

Haruka's route in LB is pretty overboard, but Haruka herself is nice (or irritating, depends). It's a good ride but not top tier.

In the end, it's just romance (or just deep friendship) but with elements not seen elsewhere. It's not cookie-cutter stuff like Period or Koichoco. They are also appealing in their own ways, but when you've played dozens of SOL novels you get pretty tired.

I find most Key humour pretty underwhelming, I know most people laugh with all their might, but not me. That's why when they mix it freely with drama (such as in Angel Beats) I find it a bit baffling.

Edited by Okarin

6 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

My thoughts (route spoilers, obv)

Reveal hidden contents

I liked her cuteness - and the occasional shift to a more serious personality (ie, the skin painting while under the stars).

I hadn't read a ton of VNs yet when i went through it, so I was likely more forgiving/accepting of how things were written - but I found myself emotionally invested in her route, esp. in the later half. Tbh it required serious amount of suspension of disbelief - but I respect the general message behind the arc: War doesn't care if you cute and innocent. Her endurance, and the symbolism of being able to hang on, b/c she knew someone was waiting for her, really struck a cord in me - regardless of any writing flaws. (Actually shed some tears during it - and I don't consider myself a overly-emotional kind of guy normally)

EDIT: @Kiriririri I hear you :sachi: In Ayakashibito, Suzu was my favorite character, but sadly her route was kind of weak imo.

your favorite character is suzu?

I would never have guessed.

On 2017-03-02 at 10:15 AM, Deniz said:

Actually it is quite simple.Because she is so cute while eating those ice creams.

Hide contents

BLhy6ZUCMAELpCv.jpg

For the last two days, I thought that was actually a cg of her eating ice cream. And with that in mind I was like "rather than cute, this is more like wincing cause she's trying so hard to eat ice cream". fffffffffff I've made a terrible mistake.

My guess is that, while people's states are divided for the other girls, everybody like the cute loli at the end. So Kud represents the feeling of moe and bliss that everyone agrees on.

Edited by Chronopolis