1440p for any good VN's ?

havoc

I'm currently looking for a new monitor.

The plan is for it to eventually become a second monitor. But for now it will have to serve as my main.
Now i was origionally planning on going for a 27 inch 1080p screen but it doesn't cost more to get a 1440p screen and i'm wondering if these are any good for vn reading.
Because im worried about the scaling of vn's on these screens.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

2 hours ago, havoc said:

I'm currently looking for a new monitor.

The plan is for it to eventually become a second monitor. But for now it will have to serve as my main.
Now i was origionally planning on going for a 27 inch 1080p screen but it doesn't cost more to get a 1440p screen and i'm wondering if these are any good for vn reading.
Because im worried about the scaling of vn's on these screens.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

I ended up paying full Samsung price for my UHD TV, because the more I researched it, the more I found that the budget grade TVs had yet to reach true UHD (most were faking it or looked worse than 1080p).  If you don't have a spare thousand to twelve-hundred dollars lined up, it isn't a good idea to go shopping for UHD at this point.

Edit: the problem seems to be that no one has set a near-universal standard for UHD yet, and as a result, the generic brands are basically faking it...

Edited by Clephas

4 hours ago, Clephas said:

I ended up paying full Samsung price for my UHD TV, because the more I researched it, the more I found that the budget grade TVs had yet to reach true UHD (most were faking it or looked worse than 1080p).  If you don't have a spare thousand to twelve-hundred dollars lined up, it isn't a good idea to go shopping for UHD at this point.

Edit: the problem seems to be that no one has set a near-universal standard for UHD yet, and as a result, the generic brands are basically faking it...

1440p isn't UHD/4K. 1440p is 2560 x 1440, or WQHD, while UHD is 3840 x 2160

1440p has been around for a while and you can get some decent monitors at that resolution in the $200-$300 range.

You'll get more from your monitor if you play other kinds of games.

There are a bunch of novels than can be put full screen. Right now Clannad comes to mind, the Steam version launches by default full screen, and I've got a 1080p monitor. Needless to say that this is nice.

20 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

For that much you can get a decent 1080p monitor, not 1440p.

I do not claim to be an expert, but there are huge number of 1440p monitors in that range, including plenty of seemingly very popular and well-reviewed ones.

Edited by Decay

It's not really a problem with software/hardware scaling of graphics. Current price similiarities might sound tempting at first glance, but those monitors are simply bad, low quality screens; not worth it. Get a decent 1080/1200p monitor instead. There's a nice lineup of those out on the market right now and you can get really good screens starting from 300$. Anything below will be mediocre or trash and I'm not even talking about 1440p. That aside, when we're talking about gaming, barely any card right now can handle modern games on 1440p maxed out (and they're already talking about 4k, lol). Even the high-end cards struggle to deliver smooth performance on 1440p. You need sli/crossfire setups for smooth multimonitor/multitask gaming and anything over a single 1440p monitor; pascal gpu's won't perform well with anything above that.

Most vn's at the moment are still made in HD standards. That means 720p art, which is upscaled to fit more modern resolutions. Nedless to say, it looks bad, even on 1080p, not to mention higher resolutions. VN's look a lot better on smaller screens, preferably those that work natively with 720p resolutions. there is a rather small lineup of vn's already made in 1080p, but even those typically don't take full potential of these resolutions; the art is either rushed or budget quality, which means large areas of flat colors and little to no brush grading. In such case, results aren't any better than those of upscaled 720p vn's. Production of 1080p and UHD assets is very costly, which means we still won't propably see 1080p as the new vn standard for quite a while.

I myself bought an Asus PA238 monitor as of late. If you're interested both with art and decent gaming performance + best possible color reproduction available at that range, I'd higly recommend this one. One of the reasons is that graphics, especially static make a very important part of vn's; bright and faithful color reproduction should be of utmost importance, if you want to truly enjoy their art.

Edited by Narcosis

16 hours ago, Clephas said:

Its for a pc so i would vastly prefer a pc monitor due to the much lower input lag.

Also the monitor is to eventually (within 6 months) become my second monitor.
I'm planning on making my main a asus PG348Q or a MX34VQ.

Currently im mostly doubting wether to go for the following three:
ASUS VX279Q (1080P, 27 inch, IPS) The price is around 230 euro
Iiyama ProLite B2783QSU-B1 (1440P, 27 inch, TN) Price is around 320 euro
Iiyama ProLite XB2783HSU-B1 (1080P, 27Inch, AMVA+) The price is around 240 euro.

Honestly i have my doubts about the asus one because it has no height adjustable stand and that bothers me. At the same time my main is mostlikely going to be a asus monitor at some point so it would look nice.
The Issue i have with the first Iiyame is that its a tn panel although the test resulsts show that it has some pretty decent colors for a tn panel. but the price is on the high end.
To me so far the secons iiyama seems like the best choice it has a height adjustable stand and should have good static colors. But im worried about the reaction time.
Then again all of these are probably quite a bit better than my current e-ips screen which cost me about 150 euro and suffers from ghosting and imput lag.

11 hours ago, Narcosis said:

It's not really a problem with software/hardware scaling of graphics. Current price similiarities might sound tempting at first glance, but those monitors are simply bad, low quality screens; not worth it. Get a decent 1080/1200p monitor instead. There's a nice lineup of those out on the market right now and you can get really good screens starting from 300$. Anything below will be mediocre or trash and I'm not even talking about 1440p. That aside, when we're talking about gaming, barely any card right now can handle modern games on 1440p maxed out (and they're already talking about 4k, lol). Even the high-end cards struggle to deliver smooth performance on 1440p. You need sli/crossfire setups for smooth multimonitor/multitask gaming and anything over a single 1440p monitor; pascal gpu's won't perform well with anything above that.

Most vn's at the moment are still made in HD standards. That means 720p art, which is upscaled to fit more modern resolutions. Nedless to say, it looks bad, even on 1080p, not to mention higher resolutions. VN's look a lot better on smaller screens, preferably those that work natively with 720p resolutions. there is a rather small lineup of vn's already made in 1080p, but even those typically don't take full potential of these resolutions; the art is either rushed or budget quality, which means large areas of flat colors and little to no brush grading. In such case, results aren't any better than those of upscaled 720p vn's. Production of 1080p and UHD assets is very costly, which means we still won't propably see 1080p as the new vn standard for quite a while.

I myself bought an Asus PA238 monitor as of late. If you're interested both with art and decent gaming performance + best possible color reproduction available at that range, I'd higly recommend this one. One of the reasons is that graphics, especially static make a very important part of vn's; bright and faithful color reproduction should be of utmost importance, if you want to truly enjoy their art.

I hope you know how ridiculously snobbish this post sounds. You're talking about premium products and saying anything less isn't worth it. With 1080p, you can definitely get a totally solid display for ordinary gaming and such stuff for less than $300. That monitor you posted seems fine, and I'm sure it's better than the cheaper stuff, but I doubt it's worth it if you aren't already spending shitloads of money on your rig.

Edited by Decay

I could waste some money on monitors and general hardware, but instead I'm a big proponent of low-end.

Some gadgets have a nasty way of getting FUBAR some time after the warranty expires, and it drives me mad. With low-end it's not as much of a hassle as with expensive toys.

For example, my Spanish-made tablet (is that why?) has a failing wifi antenna and it hasn't even 3 years. The 2-year warranty expired last September. The tablet costed less than 200 euros so that makes it low- or middle-end, but it's still infuriating.

Likewise my monitor was around 100-something euros, an Asus, it's perfectly fine but sometimes the picture resets (it shows the "HDMI" indication as if it was resetting), for example when a nearby home fridge spews some noise (I mean electrical noise, we could even call it industrial), and I'm not entirely sure if my motherboard, monitor or even APU are faulty, it will get worse in the future, but in the meantime it's enjoy time. Unlike the tablet, the PC is in warranty until October I think. Anyway, things don't last forever, not even stars.

What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to spend much to have a fine piece of hardware, there are cheaper monitors than 200-something euros. But, it's your choice entirely, you could go middle-end and it probably will have better performance or durability. From company to company fabrication process varies. Some put more emphasis in durability (Nintendo is known for building very hardy and durable systems).