Otaku Denial Phase

So my brother has gotten into anime and manga slowly a while back and his fascination has steadily been increasing. It started with just mangas and animes, now he's using Japanese words throughout the day, using more otaku terminology, binge watching lots of animes, actually drawing anime (girl) characters in his free time (and they're damn good drawings as well!). He's pretty much become an otaku, but he says he isn't one. I went through a small denial phase too, I believe, but I don't remember.

How long does the denial phase usually last? I need some other opinions so I can show him that he's becoming one.

I'll make sure to show him the replies.:makina:

That's why americans are made fun of at any possible chance.
I don't know about the duration, I don't deny that I prefer Asian culture to English, but I can get away with it since I'm 2/3 Asian. If people ask I just ignore, nod & agree so they can shut up and leave me alone.

Hmm... during the parts of the year when I am at school, I don't really care much for manga and anime. So I don't really consider myself an otaku during those times. But during vacations and holidays when I am at home, I tend to get pretty into anime sub-culture again. And I see myself as somewhat Otaku during those intervals. Overall though, I really wouldn't call myself an otaku these days given how much less I consume this stuff compared to when I was in High School. But I definitely used to be.

I can certainly see why he doesn't want to be labeled as an otaku. There is social stigma attached to it. But, I don't think it matters. I think labels are kind of stupid and don't really matter much in the end. 

1 hour ago, Asonn said:

if you are using Japanese words you are the definition of an fucking huge weeabo aka an otaku.. well even worse than an otaku. 

Using random nihongo kotoba that people wakaranai is sugoi.

Edited by WinterfuryZX

3 hours ago, Noumi Kudryavka said:

So my brother has gotten into anime and manga slowly a while back and his fascination has steadily been increasing. It started with just mangas and animes, now he's using Japanese words throughout the day, using more otaku terminology, binge watching lots of animes, actually drawing anime (girl) characters in his free time (and they're damn good drawings as well!).

Force him to draw catgirls all day long.

That, or introduce him to vn's :makina:

2 hours ago, MFrost said:

I'm 2/3 Asian.

Somehow I don't trust that. If we go back in generations, the number of direct ancestors you have would be:

2 (parents), 4 (grand parents), 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 etc

This means people come in x/2, x/4, x/8 etc. It's not mathematical possible to end up being x/3 of some generic origin.

34 minutes ago, tymmur said:

Somehow I don't trust that. If we go back in generations, the number of direct ancestors you have would be:

2 (parents), 4 (grand parents), 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 etc

This means people come in x/2, x/4, x/8 etc. It's not mathematical possible to end up being x/3 of some generic origin.

I'm a test tube baby. Born because of your impossible mathematical equation. Filled with Annoyance, Assholishness, and 101 ways to call people an idiot.

To be clear, there's a big difference between an otaku and a weeb. The former still has a chance of being a normal person in public. The latter, not so much. But if you're on this message board, and you don't think you're an otaku, you probably are and are in denial.

I'm an otaku, and I'm okay with that, because I'm not also a weeb.

I pretty much knew I was already an otaku the moment I finished the Steins;gate anime, which was pretty much my first anime, and immediately picked up and read the visual novel. It's always been like that with me whether it's Stargate, Xfiles, or Doctor Who once I get into something..... I get into it hardcore. That is why I own every season of stargate sg-1/atlantis, Xfiles, and I have watched all 800+ episodes of Doctor who. 

9 hours ago, Noumi Kudryavka said:

How long does the denial phase usually last? I need some other opinions so I can show him that he's becoming one.

My denial phase was like... for 2 years. Then again that was really long ago when I was 12 or 13 when I was still really immature. Right now I know damn well I'm an anime lover, but I guess I don't exactly talk a lot about it to others in real life, except for the people who watch anime too. I've got a few friends who also went through a similar phase. 

11 hours ago, Noumi Kudryavka said:

now he's using Japanese words throughout the day

Wait, do you mean ironically, or seriously?  If he's serious, it might be time to quarantine him before it spreads.  Your entire family might be spouting "desus" and start raiding nearby supermarkets for pocky and ramune, and worshiping their Dark Lord Umaru-chan by playing Kakushinteki☆Metamaruphose! backwards.

20 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Your description of your brother sounds awfully familiar...

aqcaJqF.png

He's definitely not like that. I'd have him sent to a clinic if this were to happen.

18 hours ago, Narcosis said:

Force him to draw catgirls all day long.

That, or introduce him to vn's :makina:

Sadly he's got an ego that's higher than Mount Everest, and I have the idea that he won't take easily to that. I already suggested VNs, but he said no, not his thing, when I explained them.

17 hours ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

If your brother's getting into anime, make sure that he doesn't abandon everything (especially anything western) because of it, like I have once. Otherwise, he'll end up a really close-minded weeaboo. Getting into a new hobby is one thing, but going into the mindset that "Japan is everything" is another. Be sure to tell him to keep an open mind as much as possible while still doing the hobbies he loves.

Oh, and show him this video just in case.

Sorry, don't have any weeb jokes. I'm terrible at humor.

That's definitely not happening, he's too addicted to FPS games and Assassin's Creed and such.

9 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Wait, do you mean ironically, or seriously?  If he's serious, it might be time to quarantine him before it spreads.  Your entire family might be spouting "desus" and start raiding nearby supermarkets for pocky and ramune, and worshiping their Dark Lord Umaru-chan by playing Kakushinteki☆Metamaruphose! backwards.

As far as I can tell, it's still very much ironically, but I'm definitely keeping an eye out. It's also kind of ironic that you should mention Umaru-chan, since the first anime he ever watched was Himouto Umaru-chan.:sachi:

9 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

私みたいなダメ人間になりませんように・・・

この前にもうダメ人になったと思うよ。:wafuu:

Edited by Noumi Kudryavka

7 hours ago, Noumi Kudryavka said:

As far as I can tell, it's still very much ironically, but I'm definitely keeping an eye out. It's also kind of ironic that you should mention Umaru-chan, since the first anime he ever watched was Himouto Umaru-chan.:sachi:

Oh, good God, no.  At least make him watch JoJo or something.  It's memes in a less weeb-y package.