higurashi anime or vn

spademan

I know that most anime adaptions for vns aren't very good but

Just finished mahou shoujo madoka, so figured id move to to finally checking out higurashi, and mainly umineko.

100% going to read the vn for umineko, but not too sure which one with higurashi.

I heard that the anime adaption for higurashi is good but  isn't rated highly because it changes the tone from a mystery, to more of a psychological horror, which isn't something I'm necessarily against as  long as the story remains good.

Not going to  read the vn AND watch the anime, so looking for a reccomendation between either or for higurashi because i'll already know everything that happens after reading/watching one and usually completed anime/vn is not entertaining enough to do one after the other.

Edited by spademan

31 minutes ago, Zalor said:

You are asking this on a VN forum. So most responses I would guess would probably be pro VN. That said, I would recommend the anime over the VNs. I enjoyed the anime adaptation a lot more. 

Yeah probably so, but I'm just looking for a good overall experience, not too picky on whether its the vn or the anime.Not too many vns get good adaptions, but was really hoping  it was like the fate ubw anime vs ubw route, where sure the vn is overall better story wise, but the anime has its own flair with being able to actually see the action

I recommend the VN. Both the anime and the VN are pretty good, but for entirely different reasons. The anime (which I watched first) can be described as "OMG! Cute girls are torturing and murdering each other!" It leaves out quite a lot of little details, and the things that suffer the most are the character development and the mystery. For example, they turned the very first monologue from the VN, where the narrator describes how he feels as he has to kill someone he loved, into a 10-second long violent scene, and completely left out the second monologue. I understand that monologues don't transfer well into the anime format, but in this case both are essential. Actually, they created an entirely new arc at the beginning of the 2nd season to include some details which were left out earlier and actually important for the later arcs, but in the end it created quite a lot of mess.

The VN however works worse as a horror, mostly because things are written and not shown.