Is Visual Novel Reader Dead?

tankball

first is this is in the wrong place please move!

i ask this cuz i went to go download it from the site its hosted at but it will always timeout. i had to cacha may way into the site to download it. if it is dead can someone show me a reader that as good or if better that i can use. thx

2 minutes ago, MFrost said:

really? that sucks. I preferred it to the ITH Combo. I thought that it got updated in case anything new happened though?

Same, I learned hiragana and katakana Jōyō kanji just because I didn't want this to happen and me not too have anything to read the untranslated VNs

Edited by Akimoto Masato

19 minutes ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

I'm guessing the Japanese devs and publishers have caught on to VNR and saw it as a threat to official translation projects, so they probably rigged the newer releases to not work with it for good measure. That, or VN coding has become too advanced for this old software now.

That first one is fucking genius way of getting money, the latter would be more likely

6 hours ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

I'm guessing the Japanese devs and publishers have caught on to VNR and saw it as a threat to official translation projects, so they probably rigged the newer releases to not work with it for good measure. That, or VN coding has become too advanced for this old software now.

Unlikely.  What's more likely is that it had hard-coded support for common game engines, and that because it's no longer maintained, those game engines are using newer versions that break VNR.  Either that, or it's relying on outdated technology in the OS that doesn't work quite the same way anymore.  In general, programs that do things like alter the behavior of other programs tend to start having weird problems when they stop being maintained.

Most stuff works fine with ITH or ITHVNR... or even good ancient agth (yes, I'm serious... for some reason, some new games actually work with agth and nothing else).  Pretty much the only engine that is almost unusable is the Mono one, and that one is just flat-out annoying... endless thread-splitting that eventually overloads the max thread numbers on ITHVNR, forcing you to detach and reattach to get the rest of the text... in the end, I usually end up just reading ones using that engine without a hooker, lol.  Thankfully, so far only a minority of gameplay VNs and a few nukige companies use it.

I firmly believe it's very dead. I always feared this would happen. I know its clunky but I find the user submitted dictionary very useful. I also use it to translate web novels so its screen reader is very useful.

The only one who even remotely seemed to know how to use it and repair it was Riz and I have no idea how to contact him/her.

Is there any other program even remotely like this? One that allows you to add your own dictionary entries? If I could just save my custom entries in the shared dictionary I would carry on using it till it fully dies.

it still online I think the admin website is in process fixing the server. the second admin mireado try to contact Jichi-sama ,well I also try to contact jicchi-sama but not having a reply from him.

article 

http://m.blog.naver.com/mireado/220940728854

you can check the server status at here.

http://www.easycounter.com/report/sakuradite.com

Edited by ahan94

3 hours ago, ahan94 said:

it still online I think the admin website is in process fixing the server. the second admin mireado try to contact Jichi-sama ,well I also try to contact jicchi-sama but not having a reply from him.

article 

http://m.blog.naver.com/mireado/220940728854

you can check the server status at here.

http://www.easycounter.com/report/sakuradite.com

That's great to hear certainly and glad it's only a server issue but eventually, this will die I think. If Jichi does not want to maintain this project anymore maybe he could make it open source? If you could manually save your own custom words into the shared dictionary or have your own custom offline dictionary separate from it, I think this would prolong it's life quite considerably. In my opinion anyway. 

Thank you ahan94 for the good news.

Edited by torill

Stop spreading misinformation @ahan94. Mireado is not the "second admin" of sakuradite. He is just a very active member of the VNR community and the one who updates his own custom build of ITHVNR which is essentially the successor to the original tool since the original ITHVNR only used VNR's latest hooking engine and Mireado, now that VNR isn't updated anymore, implements his own hacks and hooks. But he is certainly not in any position to maintain the actual VNR application or the sakuradite website. In the blogtext you linked he only said that he tried to contact jichi-sama but he didn't get any response. Like everyone else who tried that.

I'm astonished how out of touch with reality the VNR community apparently is, who refuses to accept the harsh truth which is really not that hard to figure out. Let's look at the facts again, shall we?

• jichi-sama is a highly motivated and talented individual, was updating VNR nearly every day and was also always online on sakuradite to chat with his community
  • one year ago, he suddenly stops updating VNR, nobody has seen him ever since

You can deny reality as much as you want, but don't tell people who are genuinely interested in VNR's fate to wait and raise their hopes... when there is no hope left and this chapter in the history of text hooking is already over.
Just move on.

I think it's a bit early to give up but unless somebody picks VNR up it's basically dead in the water. I've still been using it fine until the servers went down but now much of the functionality is gone. The best part of of VNR was the dictionary. The dictionary fixed a lot of the common problems one would encounter while reading VN's. For those of us that aren't talented or patient enough to learn scripting and regex this was a godsend. It's unfortunate but I may have to go back to the shitty way of doing things which is ITH and TA. At least TA has been updated recently and remains functional. 

8 hours ago, Tyrosyn said:

Stop spreading misinformation @ahan94. Mireado is not the "second admin" of sakuradite. He is just a very active member of the VNR community and the one who updates his own custom build of ITHVNR which is essentially the successor to the original tool since the original ITHVNR only used VNR's latest hooking engine and Mireado, now that VNR isn't updated anymore, implements his own hacks and hooks. But he is certainly not in any position to maintain the actual VNR application or the sakuradite website. In the blogtext you linked he only said that he tried to contact jichi-sama but he didn't get any response. Like everyone else who tried that.

I'm astonished how out of touch with reality the VNR community apparently is, who refuses to accept the harsh truth which is really not that hard to figure out. Let's look at the facts again, shall we?

• jichi-sama is a highly motivated and talented individual, was updating VNR nearly every day and was also always online on sakuradite to chat with his community
  • one year ago, he suddenly stops updating VNR, nobody has seen him ever since

You can deny reality as much as you want, but don't tell people who are genuinely interested in VNR's fate to wait and raise their hopes... when there is no hope left and this chapter in the history of text hooking is already over.
Just move on.

lol I just thinking Mireado is a second admin but he/she actualy not. Jichi-sama last his/her online at Gitlab is may 16,2016 but after that's not anyone saw his/her online. well even without jichi-sama VNR files can still be modified, sry for my bad grammar.

https://gitlab.com/jichi

Edited by ahan94