What do you think is Better Artwork (Disney or Comic book)

SmartAppleGames

2 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I have a feeling that allot of people are simply saying B because it is more "detailed", honestly I could go either way. A may not have as much detail, but it certainly has that cartoon charm to it. 

To me, it's not so much the level of detail as it is the difference in maturity. By comparison, the first picture feels more childish (and a little sinister?) whereas the second presents the character as more of laid back adult, which I tend to be more fond of.

2 hours ago, SmartAppleGames said:

dont you think it be off for visual novel format? i mean B is more graphic novel not visual novel...

I wouldn't mind comic book style art for a VN. Would be pretty refreshing actually.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

Definitely B, the comic book art! Disney art is certainly amongst the most plain and boring art styles there is. It lacks grace and character and is clearly directed to (little) children.

It might serve that purpose well, but I consider them personally responsible that the west considers comic art as 'just for kids'.

Edited by ChaosRaven

I would have to go with A simply because it is more pleasing and easy to take in. Which is Disney all around. My only comment would be that what you choose should fit what you are trying to convey. B made me feel a little guarded at first glance because it was a bit grittier. Which could work better if that emotion helps with the message you are trying to get across.

50 minutes ago, SmartAppleGames said:

Fits Visual Novel Format whereas B is more suitable for graphic novels

Strange line of thought if you ask me.

Though, yeah, if you try to pander to the usual OELVN audience, A will most likely fit better. B however would look much more unique.

Edit: On second thought, it mostly depends on the type of a visual novel you are trying to make.

Edited by Dreamysyu

2 hours ago, SmartAppleGames said:

i posted this on facebook too, and end result A, is the winner. Why? 1) Fits Visual Novel Format whereas B is more suitable for graphic novels 2) Sell More Copies 3) Simplicity

Thank you all for commenting, even if most of you like B. It's a risky if I went B, and I'm no gambler.

Winterwolves discovered the same thing. Planet Stronghold: Colonial Defence incorporated a realistic art style[1] similar to option 'b' above, and there were endless complaints about it. So many that Winterwolves announced they'll never try for a realistic art style again.

The opinions of the community makes me sad :( 

[1] finalchoices.jpg 

36 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Winterwolves discovered the same thing. Planet Stronghold: Colonial Defence incorporated a realistic art style[1] similar to option 'b' above, and there were endless complaints about it. So many that Winterwolves announced they'll never try for a realistic art style again.

The opinions of the community makes me sad :( 

I'm curious about how much of the backlash was due to the art being different from the original Planet Stronghold and how much of those complaints were simply because of the realistic art style. I remember the failed kick starter for Dysfunction Systems 2 had issues (well several, but I'm specifically referring to the art) since dischan had to hire a new artist for the project and people were slow to warm up to the new art style.

Although having said that I can't imagine there being a huge "Planet Stronghold" fanbase, the initial game was not that good. 

12 minutes ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

Seems hypocritical if you ask me. I mean, people have been asking for VNs with a take on western art instead of the usual Japanese moeblob art because they've grown sick of it. Yet, whenever a VN with western art is made, there's always a backlash against it because of the art alone. I find that way of thinking very bizarre. It's like people are stuck in a limbo and can't decide what they want in a VN anymore.

It has probably more to do than just with western or Japanese art preference, since there's also the quality of the art to consider. The Japanese VN scene usually has a very high standard of art quality, which is something that can't be said at all for the OELVN scene. Furthermore, a realistic art style that's also good and pleasing to the eyes isn't easy and requires a lot of artistic skill. The most prominent Japanese example for that would be probably the titles from Innocent Grey like Kara no Shojo. From the OELVN scene I've only seen one title so far which I consider having an outstanding realisitic art style, and that would be One Day in London.

So better stick to a more simple art style and try to make that good instead of going for a semi-decent realistic art style.

20 minutes ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

Seems hypocritical if you ask me. I mean, people have been asking for VNs with a take on western art instead of the usual Japanese moeblob art because they've grown sick of it. Yet, whenever a VN with western art is made, there's always a backlash against it because of the art alone. I find that way of thinking very bizarre. It's like people are stuck in a limbo and can't decide what they want in a VN anymore.

It's entirely possible that the same people are saying both things, but it is also possible that there are just a handful of people on both sides that are annoyingly vocal about their opinions. The VN community might be formed around a very niche entertainment medium, but it is still pretty diverse. 

8 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

It has probably more to do than just with western or Japanese art preference, since there's also the quality of the art to consider. The Japanese VN scene usually has a very high standard of art quality, which is something that can't be said at all for the OELVN scene. Furthermore, a realistic art style that's also good and pleasing to the eyes isn't easy and requires a lot of artistic skill. The most prominent Japanese example for that would be probably the titles from Innocent Grey like Kara no Shojo. From the OELVN scene I've only seen one title so far which I consider having an outstanding realisitic art style, and that would be One Day in London.

So better stick to a more simple art style and try to make that good instead of going for a semi-decent realistic art style.

The problem with One Day In London is, from there steam page, they got no reviews, so I take it they got no sales. Its been out for a year without reviews? But i say the art is good. Yes, simple is best. 

Edited by SmartAppleGames

Just now, SmartAppleGames said:

The problem with One Day In London is, from there steam page, they got no reviews, so I take it they got no sales. Its been out for a year without reviews? But i say the art is good. Yes, simple is best. 

I was puzzled by that too, but after checking on the page again it is showing 35 reviews. Not sure what that was about. 

• 3 weeks later...