Sekai Project launches Kickstarter for Ley Line physical box set

Decay

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/a-clockwork-ley-line-a-visual-novel-trilogy

This is similar to how the Chrono Clock KS was set up, with them saying that the localizations are already funded and being released no matter what, the crowdfunding is just so they can do a special limited box set for all three games. So you shouldn't feel a strong impetus to fund this for the sake of seeing these games in English, though they do seem to be offering a pretty good discount over what the final retail price will be for the digital copies.

The Ley-Line games are magical mysteries with plenty of comedy and some romance. They seem to be pretty well-liked, with good ratings in EGS and VNDB and generally good reviews, although people disliked the second game a little (a huge cliffhanger ending being one of the biggest complaints). In any case, I've had them on my VNDB wishlist for years now, so I'm glad the entire trilogy has been confirmed. 

Here's a review from Conjueror, for those who want to know more: https://vnrw.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/vn-tokeijikake-no-ley-line/

edit: I forgot to mention, yes, 18+ versions are confirmed.

Edited by Decay

It's nice to actually hear *anything* from this title again. Since the official translation was announced it pretty much disappeared from the face of the earth without any news. I was almost beginning to worry.

I'll most likely back it since I'm quite interested in the trilogy for some time now.

Backed!

25 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Already halfway to goal. The much-hyped Kickstarter fatigue people keep going on about doesn't seem to be materialising to the extent hoped/expected.

Looks like a pretty fun VN :3

Hey, this is already doing even better than the ChronoClock campaign, only 2 hours after launch it had already 370 backers and reached a funding of about 30-31k.

Edited by Nier

2 minutes ago, novurdim said:

To be honest, from the KS I don't really get how and when they are going to release it. They... wouldn't wait for the whole trilogy to be finished, would they?

Nope they are going to release it asap. and I heard they are waiting for the psv assets for the first title and than it should be basically done. 

Unfortunately the game as it currently is being released will have mosaics. For some people that's a deal breaker but not for me. It does however mean I'm not going to bother with a higher tier purchase. If the game becomes mosaic free I will probably more than double my pledge. As it is I'll be content with the 60 dollar digital tier. There are admittedly a few concerns I have;

1. Who is doing the translation?

2. How many translators for each game? (If the game has characters from other games a single translator is good for consistency otherwise we might have three completely different styles of translation which might ruin consistency and style.

3. Is there any DRM if you get the game via Denpasoft instead of Steam or Nutaku?

4. Is there any legitimate possibility that the game can get an unmosaiced release (this is very unlikely but I can hope it's not forsaken in these lands)

5. Will other games (like Baldr Force series) be getting a similar release type. 

6. ETA on full release? (because no mention of this on the Kickstarter that I saw is kinda strange)

25 minutes ago, kyrt said:

Unfortunately the game as it currently is being released will have mosaics. For some people that's a deal breaker but not for me. It does however mean I'm not going to bother with a higher tier purchase. If the game becomes mosaic free I will probably more than double my pledge. As it is I'll be content with the 60 dollar digital tier. There are admittedly a few concerns I have;

1. Who is doing the translation?

2. How many translators for each game? (If the game has characters from other games a single translator is good for consistency otherwise we might have three completely different styles of translation which might ruin consistency and style.

3. Is there any DRM if you get the game via Denpasoft instead of Steam or Nutaku?

4. Is there any legitimate possibility that the game can get an unmosaiced release (this is very unlikely but I can hope it's not forsaken in these lands)

5. Will other games (like Baldr Force series) be getting a similar release type. 

6. ETA on full release? (because no mention of this on the Kickstarter that I saw is kinda strange)

The translation is done by the same people who were working on the fan translation of it. 

I don't think any Denpasoft releases have had DRM, but I could be wrong. That will have to be up to Unison Shift, ultimately.

Kohaku, the fan group that did the first game's translation, has one translator. The first game was translated entirely by him. We don't have confirmation with the other two, but I imagine the situation is the same.

The eta is listed on the reward tiers, the full trilogy is expected to ship by January 2018, but you should take any kickstarter release estimate with a large grain of salt.

Edited by Decay

Ditto, grabbed a early bird pledge. Still not content with how SP uses Kickstarter - it doesn't exist to pad out profit margins - but that's just me (plus I'd be a hypocrite to make too much noise, since I took advantage of the low cost and all).

That or I'm just salty waiting for two other projects under their umbrella to actually deliver what I paid, over two years ago.

But I'll stop there, before this gets derailed into yet another war between the shills, moderates, and haters. :makina:

Funded:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/a-clockwork-ley-line-a-visual-novel-trilogy/posts/1810445

Questions answered:

What is the release schedule?

We plan to release A Clockwork Ley-Line: The Borderline of Dusk in Spring, A Clockwork Ley-Line: Daybreak of Remnants Shadow in Summer, and A Clockwork Ley-Line: Flowers Falling in the Morning Mist in Winter. Physical versions will be made in one large batch at the end once all 3 games are done. Please keep in mind during production the schedule might change. We keep a translation tracker that is updated daily which you can view!

What about mosaics?

While mosaics could not be removed, nothing has been cut from the version of the games we're currently funding and they are presented as they were intended.

Who's translating?

We're working with the original fan translation group for all 3 games and, if the stretch goal is hit, for the artbook as well.

Can we get an all-ages physical version?

We will setup a poll in BackerKit after the campaign is over to see if there is interest. If there is enough for a minimum order we will make an all-ages physical version as well.

Is the shikishi printed or hand drawn?

It is printed, however the artwork might be exclusive to the campaign. We're still working out the details.

Will the physical version require a patch to unlock all content?

No, it'll be the complete version.

Can I pledge for the artbook separately?

Not at this time, however we will talk to the developers about it.

Will you be releasing the console versions or bringing over any of the content from the console versions?

At this time, we are focusing on fulfilling our previous console campaign promises before taking on any new console-related projects.

What do you mean Steam/Denpasoft/Nutaku versions?

It means you'll get a copy on Steam, Denpasoft, and Nutaku.

What about PayPal support?

We will talk to the developer about setting up a slacker backer campaign just like NEKOPARA to enable PayPal support.

If there's any other questions please post or let us know! Also, it's raining quite heavily down in SoCal this weekend so our responses might be delayed....something to do with flash flood warnings, yikes!

Next is the 100-page Artbook stretch goal at 85,000 USD.

The Leyline series is decent, if you look at it from the viewpoint of seeing them as a single game.  From the viewpoint of three individual games, they were immensely frustrating to play, with fragmentary side-heroine paths and a somewhat incoherent narrative at points.  While it isn't a series I'd go back to play gladly, it was interesting enough to play at least once.