Bloodborne

Zenophilious

Soooo...I bought a PS4 Pro during an extended weekend off of work, and I picked up Bloodborne.  I heard a lot of great things about it, and it was pretty much the only non-weeb title I was seriously interested in.  Ooooh, man, do I love this game.  It's just as punishing as a Souls game, but with a few tweaks (replaced traditional parry/riposte with shooting at a certain time while an enemy is attacking, much more emphasis on aggressive, quicker fights, less overall weapons but each are pretty viable and memorable, etc.) and a much darker, Lovecraftian setting.  Haven't gotten too far yet, but it's easily one of my favorite games so far.

Anyone else played Bloodborne?  What did you think?  How did you like the differences between it and the Souls games?  Any favorite experiences?

Favorite moment so far (SPOILERS)

Spoiler

Definitely fighting Father G.  That was actually one of the best boss fights I think I've ever experienced.  First of all, this awesome track starts playing.  The entire fight never felt unfair, just really challenging and fun.  Having him use a Hunter Axe was really cool, and an excellent way to incorporate "phases" into the boss battle that didn't feel completely artificial.  Even managing to dodge his attacks in his third phase just felt so damn satisfying.

It was also a great way to tell people that it's not the same as the Souls games.  I wasn't expecting him to be so damn fast when I first fought him, and I got destroyed because of it.

2 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

dammit! :wafuu: i would buy a ps4 just for bloodbourne. gl to you zeno!

I heard people saying that as well, and I was a bit doubtful that a game could be that good.  So glad I got a PS4  :D

Thanks, man!  I'm really digging the more aggressive combat style.  If you don't go balls to the wall from the get go, you get trashed, at least with the bosses.  The normal mobs are a different story so far, but I expect that to change.

Bloodborne is easy my favorite game of all time. I love how you get rewarded for being aggressive. And my favorite moment of the game is the fight against Ludwig the accursed. The soundtrack and the second phase of the boss is just so damn good. So if you haven't picked up the DLC you should buy it immediately. 

Bought it and the The Old Hunters DLC together.  I typically try to buy games packaged with their DLC if I can bear to wait for the DLC to come out.  In Bloodborne's case, not having a PS4 helped  :P

I need to learn how to parry properly.  Right now I just panic and parry bosses every once in a while by luck.  Not a good way to do that  :-/

It ended up being my favorite "Souls" game. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the lovecraftian setting. If you are interested in doing the Chalice dungeons, I would advise you to start them early (once you unlock them basically) because, in the beginning they are pretty easy but later on the became the hardest part of the entire game for me. If you wait until the end to start them, the first few levels will be pretty boring.

Edited by Formlose Gestalt

I played it a bit back when it came out, but it was too difficult for me. :P I have never played one of  the Dark Souls games, so I really didn't know what I was getting myself into, lol. It was a nice game, but not really my thing in the end. 

I made it to the blood starved beast, and after 30 tries I got it to like 5% or something stupid, then died. I ragequit hard and never went back, lol.

Probably my favorite game tbh. Fighting Father G. is still one of my most memorable moments in the game, he was such a fun enemy while also teaching you how to play this game. He'd punish mistakes with a shit-ton of damage straight to your face (when he didn't outright kill you) but he also made mistakes that you could captalize upon to get some extra damage. The whole DLC is memorable as well, the first area for the boss mostly and the others for pretty much everything. Oh, I remember streaming when I first beat Father G., @Tay was watching even. Fun times despite the thing with the pig. :P 

What's your weapon setup so far? Did my first playthrough with the Saw Cleaver and the pistol, sometimes switching it up to the hammer for some annoying mobs that could get stun-locked in it. 

I love Bloodborne. Way better than Souls 3 imo. Ended up using Saw cleaver for my entire playthrough. Easily my favorite weapon in the game. I prefer using the blunderbuss instead of the pistol because it's way easier to parry enemies with it. The DLC was also very memorable, can't even remember how many times i died trying to beat Ludwig, considering that lots of his attacks off you in 1 or 2 hits. 

3 hours ago, Rose said:

What's your weapon setup so far? Did my first playthrough with the Saw Cleaver and the pistol, sometimes switching it up to the hammer for some annoying mobs that could get stun-locked in it. 

Currently rolling Hunter Axe and Blunderbuss, but I just bought a Saw Cleaver as well, and intend to use it against singular enemies and small groups.  I'm getting too reliant on the spin to win of the Hunter Axe.

20 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Currently rolling Hunter Axe and Blunderbuss, but I just bought a Saw Cleaver as well, and intend to use it against singular enemies and small groups.  I'm getting too reliant on the spin to win of the Hunter Axe.

When I played this game my setup was the cane and gatling gun/shotgun. I think this game is harder than the other souls game because bosses are really agressive and you will have to rely heavily on avoiding enemy attacks and using parry otherwise you will get destroyed by certain bosses especially in the dlc who are not for the faint of patience. I like the weapons mechanic in bloodborne more than souls game, the trick weapons were awesome, especially loved using the cane who could change to a long range whip. The game story was really interesting too. Anyways good luck with the playthrough and remember... May you find your worth in the waking world...

Also I will mention this but it is not that big of a spoiler.

Spoiler

When you find the man with the sack, let him take you away...

• 2 months later...

Anyone have some tips for me ? Because I'm incredibly bad at this game holy cow it's not even funny anymore. I think I died to every boss so far like more than 15 times before defeating it. I'm currently at Amelia and I feel absolutely terrible.

I played the shit out of dark souls 1 and 3 but this game feels so different, I don't know. I'm wielding ludwigs holy blade and blunderbass atm. My biggest problem is that health recover system. When getting hit, instead of trying to hit the enemy to recover health, I panick so hard and pump that blood vial only to get hit once more and so on... :(

Edited by Shurui

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2017 at 11:08 AM, Shurui said:

Anyone have some tips for me ? Because I'm incredibly bad at this game holy cow it's not even funny anymore. I think I died to every boss so far like more than 15 times before defeating it. I'm currently at Amelia and I feel absolutely terrible.

I played the shit out of dark souls 1 and 3 but this game feels so different, I don't know. I'm wielding ludwigs holy blade and blunderbass atm. My biggest problem is that health recover system. When getting hit, instead of trying to hit the enemy to recover health, I panick so hard and pump that blood vial only to get hit once more and so on... :(

Two month's late but I decided to still comment some strategy tips. When first fighting a boss always analyze their moveset, getting information is always the best tip to conquer many games. Now for in-game tips I recommend choosing one of the starter weapons for first timers.

Upgrade the stats of the weapon you choose and ignore for the most part, increasing your guns damage as they don't rack up much damage and aren't reliable to kill enemies, they are better used for parry. Parry and evade attacks is incredibly important, if you want to have a better advantage against bosses parrying effectively and evading correctly is the key for defeating some of the harder bosses. Also if you feel insecure about your health try buff it up, by putting some point onto vitality.

Damage is not that important when you just start the game and you might be better off by increasing your survivability first. Why do I recommend doing this? Obviously by the fact it is more forgiving of your mistakes. It will also help you when trying new things without fearing getting killed by random mobs.

Edited by Dark_blade64