How would you introduce animes to your parents ?

Pinkaw

Oh yeah, that seems cool and it's totally what I meant, thanks. And that's cool too to have someone who already did it, I like having records of people with experience of it.

As for the animes, I have to see Another for a long time now, but for TG or SAO, I won't really try with it I think, since I don't like them that much (well, I completely love ideas in Tokyo Ghoul, I'm still buying every :re release, but Root A anime was pretty hard to watch).

I knew of a guy who once showed Elfien Lied to his mother. After roughly 15 minutes he was forbidden to watch anime ever again. Luckily I was there and somehow managed to convince her to give second chance. At that time I showed her Grabe of Fireflies. She cried so much after that.

Well, how you convince depends on parents themselves. Shingeki no Kyojin, Kimi no Na Wa, Steins;Gate, Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal OVA ( NOT original series, but OVA Trust and Betrayal) etc.

Rurouni Kenshin's original series isn't bad (the latter seasons are allegedly a bit weak), but a bit casual, just-for-fun stuff.

Watsuki was a fan himself of Marvel Comics, Kenshin was like the Naruto of its time -even though that OAV is really dramatic and on a whole different level, but that's really a spinoff.

My folks liked Robotech and Transformers, so I would just watch the mecha anime or stuff similar to Samurai Jack (1 month!) ... I also watched Toku a lot, so it's not like there was any surprise. However I do hide my VN and Anime goods when they come for a visit. Just leave out my TSFs and Transformers.

I wouldn't follow my advice if I were you.

19 hours ago, Okarin said:

Rurouni Kenshin's original series isn't bad (the latter seasons are allegedly a bit weak), but a bit casual, just-for-fun stuff.

Watsuki was a fan himself of Marvel Comics, Kenshin was like the Naruto of its time -even though that OAV is really dramatic and on a whole different level, but that's really a spinoff.

You see, that is why I noted that I was talking about OVA. Rurouni Kenshin OVA is completely different in terms of style from anime series. It was much darker and serious in tone. Comparing anime series with that OVA could be done in this way: anime series would be like Muv Luv VN while OVA would be Alternative. OVA is number 2 OVA on MAL for a reason and to add my personal opinion, it was the best part of franchise beating both anime and manga (even though it was adaptation)

• 8 months later...

I actually got my mom to sit and watch some anime with me some years ago. The thing to keep in mind is, in my opinion, if you're gonna introduce someone to anime, show them something that is "anime-like". Don't trick them, play fair. Sure, you might think it's a pretty good idea to show them something like "Monster", since it's closer to a good thriller western series, but I don't think it depicts properly the style we find in most anime works. 

In my case, I went boldly for Clannad, regardless of its rather dull first season, not to mention the good deal of anime gags and japanese culture related topics she couldn't possibly begin to grasp on her own. However, I tried to explain these issues to her the best I could, and then we got to After Story, and she loved it (she didn't shed a single damn tear though, and then next to her there was her 20yo son sobbing like a little bitch :leecher:).

So yeah, to sum up, my advice if you want to introduce someone to anime, let it be relatives or friends, is to show them something you really like and shares the same style as most anime out there.

Edited by Thyndd

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried to show my mom some stuff and as a result she has seen quite a few  Ghibli movies

I also tried showing her Fate/Zero and she didn't get past the first episode (Which is fair considering it is super long and contains several huge info dumps and a copious amount of setup)