What is ebihime?

voidpointer

4 hours ago, Basileus777 said:

This is a good reason to can the OELVN acronym altogether.  It's a ridiculously long and unwieldy acronym for a simple concept.

The most compelling reason to get rid of it is because some 'EVNs' aren't English, and it's a tag that typically just means 'an Indie developed VN not originated in Korea or Japan'.

1 hour ago, Darklord Rooke said:

The most compelling reason to get rid of it is because some 'EVNs' aren't English, and it's a tag that typically just means 'an Indie developed VN not originated in Korea or Japan'.

That reasoning suggests moving to WVN, not EVN (Indonesia and whatever else there is has little cultural hegemony and so will have to deal with being considered Western here). My personal suspicion is people are annoyed by the term specifically pointing out that the vn was originally written in English, which implies that this is against the natural order of things (well, kind of.) However, this narrative might be spun by my membership of the primarily jvn reading community, and I have seen signs of that community not intersecting that much with the wvn creator community.

21 hours ago, finiteHP said:

English Visual Novels.  It refers to ones written in English as opposed to just translated, though I sometimes see ones translated from other western languages included as well.

This is the problem I have with the term 'EVN'.  It contradicts its own definition!  "English Visual Novels" ought to include include all visual novels in English, such as Steins;Gate or Aselia, in addition to Western-made originals like Sunrider.

13 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

This is the problem I have with the term 'EVN'.  It contradicts its own definition!  "English Visual Novels" ought to include include all visual novels in English, such as Steins;Gate or Aselia, in addition to Western-made originals like Sunrider.

But translated vn's aren't english in origin. It's not a contradition, it's a misunderstanding.

4 hours ago, Narcosis said:

But translated vn's aren't english in origin. It's not a contradition, it's a misunderstanding.

Oh, it's definitely a contradiction.  Steins;Gate is in English, isn't it?  Then why isn't it an "English Visual Novel"?  Because the term doesn't actually mean "a visual novel that's in English", despite it claiming that's what it means.  The term is straight-up ncorrect in a way that OELVN is not.