Visual novel and Dating sims

Kodlak

Keep in mind that dating sims and VNs are two completely separate types of game (ie. Persona 3 and 4 are a fusion of dating sim, VN, and jrpg, for instance).  In dating sims, the whole point of the game is to go out on dates with various girls and get them to fall in love with you, and this also necessitating you upping the protagonist's stats (like charm, intelligence, etc) so he can take the right actions at the right points of the game to get them to love him.  Dating sims only have one purpose... romance.  There is no need for characterization beyond the basic profile and q&a during date sequences.  VNs technically evolved from Japanese datings sims (example: Tokimeki Memorial), but at some point, the emphasis shifted to telling a story over interactivity.   Eventually, that resulted in the VNs we see today.

A VN is defined by storytelling with a combination of music, art, dialogue, and narration.  In reality, a 'real' VN is only a game in the sense that you have to pick which path you want to aim for.  Generally speaking, a VN won't have character stats that you can increase (though some older games from around the turn of the century retain that from the popular dating sims of the 90's, which the nukige, moege, and charage genres grew out of).  Most VNs are closer to manga than anime and pretty far from what most people would really call a game.

Most rpgs have little or no narration, with most of the game being driven by the visual and audio, as well as the dialogue.  A lot of this is because there is no need for a description of physical action, as it is mostly acted out by the characters on screen.  However, this also means that those who aren't good at inserting emotion into situations using the non-narration tools of the game tend to feel stale for some VN-addicts. 

Anyway, my recommendations for translated: 

Ayakashibito

Comyu

Tokyo Babel

Eien no Aselia

Seinarukana

Noble Works

Grisaia

If you want VN Recommendations, I think all of those recommendations were quite good. But if you want some more which is translated, how about Yoake, 11eyes, Steins Gate and the sequel, Fata Morgana, Da Capo 3, and Root Double there. Oh, also I could recommend both of Koichoco and Koi Resort there. Hope it'll be help, although as far as dating sim concerned I think it's quite rare if we talk about modern one (But I think Galaxy Angel trilogy could be quite close to classic dating sims there ie only seek romance, although it still had some story though).

3 hours ago, Clephas said:

A VN is defined by storytelling with a combination of music, art, dialogue, and narration.  In reality, a 'real' VN is only a game in the sense that you have to pick which path you want to aim for.  Generally speaking, a VN won't have character stats that you can increase (though some older games from around the turn of the century retain that from the popular dating sims of the 90's, which the nukige, moege, and charage genres grew out of).  Most VNs are closer to manga than anime and pretty far from what most people would really call a game.

I dunno, if Gone Home and Her Story are games, then so are VNs.  To me, "video game" means the following:

1. A computer program
  2. That is not a video or music player
  3. Providing a single focused experience
  4. Primarily (usually entirely) to entertain, or tell a story to, people running it

And really, 2) and 3) are only necessary to keep smart alecks from claiming that VLC or Steam (the client itself) are video games.

4 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

I dunno, if Gone Home and Her Story are games, then so are VNs.  To me, "video game" means the following:

1. A computer program
  2. That is not a video or music player
  3. Providing a single focused experience
  4. Primarily (usually entirely) to entertain, or tell a story to, people running it

And really, 2) and 3) are only necessary to keep smart alecks from claiming that VLC or Steam (the client itself) are video games.

What about an E-book designed to open using RPGMaker with 'save files' that remember the last page you were on?

10 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

I dunno, if Gone Home and Her Story are games, then so are VNs. 

Gone Home is an adventure game. Adventure games have 3 characteristics - a narrative, puzzles, and exploration, and Gone Home more than qualifies here. Her Story is a mystery game with the player in charge of the investigation. Both of these examples have a degree of interactivity pure VNs just don't have.

• 4 weeks later...