Root letter apparently sold 200k copies

WinterfuryZX

12 minutes ago, Decay said:

Eh, I wonder how many copies Vita VNs actually sell in the west compared to their PS4 counterparts. I always suspected the PS4 versions sold more.

Same here, But VN's selling that much on PC's alone... haha, nope.

I wonder where's their success hidden. It's not the best game out there, so I'm even more curious.

Unless the console market already became so stagnated players will gladly accept anything shoved down their throats.

Edited by Narcosis

28 minutes ago, Decay said:

Eh, I wonder how many copies Vita VNs actually sell in the west compared to their PS4 counterparts. I always suspected the PS4 versions sold more.

Well, the PS4 has a way vaster potential market, as there's a big fleet of PS4s out there, it's the leading console of the generation in sales.

Of course, most PS4 users limit themselves to FIFAs and Call of Dutys, and another big portion of the market bother themselves with more traditional games (such as JPRG, even), VNs are still a niche market even when they have become more readily available.

I see some indication that people believe Root Letter was bad... and I wonder why. I haven't played it though, but the premise sounded good enough.

I saw an article about PC ports that said that porting a game such as a Hyperdimension, Tales of, Valkyria Chronicles, etc, (note that these aren't VNs) could easily go into the 100,000s, but that is also due to the reduced prices of Steam and the convenience (some games can't be found anywhere now). Anyway, that means that there's a potential market out there. Another question is if those people bother buying the games as they are. Or buying a PS Vita or PS4, for that matter.

I only know that the VNs I own on Steam have more expensive stickers, and that is due to less stickers in the market -> less people that owns the games -> less sales -> more price.

I contributed to the Vita count, if the specific numbers ever get released ^_^. Though I'll feel bad for anyone who bought launch price, this VN's definitely not worth that much.

I'd be surprised if PS4 outsold Vita disregarding Vita's western deadness because who the fk actually wants to play VNs on TV, it's either Tablet or handheld for me. But if i reaaaally wanted Tv for some somes, i got my PSTV sitting in da closet

1 hour ago, Decay said:

Pretty sure that S;G's sales on Vita like doubled or tripled its sales on PS3. At least, so I heard.

Seriously though, how the fuck did it get to 200K?! That's how much Danganronpa 1 AND 2 sold together on Vita in 2 years. And they're one of the most popular VN franchises I have seen.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

Pretty sure it's that one genre which sells comparably well, if not at times better, on vita than on ps4. Though the only concrete numbers we have are that of SG on vita vastly outselling the ps3-version. 

Gotta understand 2 things about. First is that VN's will always be better on the vita than a ps4. Who the fuck wants to play a VN on the TV? If i could port all my VN's from my computer over to my Vita I would. I pretty much buy almost every VN released on the vita easily. Perfect example is Steins;Gate, never bought the ps3 or PC version. And I waited until the official vita release and I have 2 copies both digital and physical. Same with Steins;Gate 0.

In this case however I never purchased Root Letter.

Another thing is that Vita owners are usually pretty spend happy. They buy anything that comes out on the vita. I've got 350+ games on my playstation store and I would be willing to put money that 300 of those are vita/psp/psx (aka playable on the vita) games. Pretty much anyone i know with a vita is the same way.

59 minutes ago, Okarin said:

Yes, the Vita owners are a staunch group that refused to think that the console was dead, and soldier on supporting the platform.

>Platform gets an amazing amount of niche games that appeals to its current user base.

>"Lelelelelel they just can't accept the console is dead lelelelelel"

Keep shitposting.

5 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

>Platform gets an amazing amount of niche games that appeals to its current user base.

>"Lelelelelel they just can't accept the console is dead lelelelelel"

Keep shitposting.

Exactly what's the point? Of course if the Vita owners received shit or games that didn't interest them, they would toss the console right in the trash bin.

Originally, the Vita was supposed to be a reduced, portable version of PS4... until Sony withdrew their support: no more Uncharteds, no more blockbusters... Compare with PSP please.

The Vita is in its current state because it benefits everybody: Sony can still chalk down another sale from the occasional buyer, and the third parties sell their games with no problem, as the sales for Root Letter in this thread indicate.

Just now, Okarin said:

Exactly what's the point? Of course if the Vita owners received shit or games that didn't interest them, they would toss the console right in the trash bin.

Originally, the Vita was supposed to be a reduced, portable version of PS4... until Sony withdrew their support: no more Uncharteds, no more blockbusters... Compare with PSP please.

The Vita is in its current state because it benefits everybody: Sony can still chalk down another sale from the occasional buyer, and the third parties sell their games with no problem, as the sales for Root Letter in this thread indicate.

Just now, novurdim said:

I really don't think he meant it as something bad lol

It still gets games, it's still played, it's still produced in Japan; it isn't dead and I'm just tired of seeing people say that the Vita is dead.

Just now, novurdim said:

Well, he said "refuse to think it's dead" so, duh, it's not. 

I also said it in past tense, as there was a time when even the present of Vita was dubious, but now it's not. It's a niche console, but not dead. That's not to say it's a foremost option for lots of gamers, including those who love JRPG and VNs.

The vita, regardless of the support being dropped, is still the console I use the most. I commute 4 hours a day and it's perfect to literally play 4 hours of games a day. Plus the games on it aren't that bad. I mean Soul Sacrifice was fucking amazing (Delta helped it get that way), among many other games and the ability to play PSX games which is why i bought it originally. That OLED Screen is great.

Honestly what killed the console is, hands down, the stupid decision from sony to sell the memory cards at ass raping prices. Everyone i know who didn't get the console said it was solely because they didn't want to fork another 100$ on the memory card.

Well, I would say that the foremost criterion to buy a new console, PC or whatever platform is what said platform gives me in terms of playability and how good its library is.

For us geeks Vita is perfect, but for lots of gamers out there, it just isn't.

There are a lot of gamers who have never played even a Fire Emblem, would they be suddenly interested in Hyperdimension games? (for example) I think not.

People would gladly pay those pesky memory cards if the Vita had a library oriented towards a wider audience. Like that, it's just two things it has against it.

Edited by Okarin

It's basically how large the library is. The main issue with the vita is that in the beginning it's library consisted of a handful of vita games and the PSX compatibility wasn't there. Later it came buy giving it a great boost but it wasn't until a few years that the vita took off in terms of the library.

Add to this the fact that people aren't going to get a big memory card if the library isn't big = no vita at all. I had one in the beginning cause of the promise of PSX support which didn't come AT FIRST and as such i was on an 8gb for a long time. It wasn't until a few years ago i switched to a 64gb due to the amount I play it now.

But you are right, it targets a niche, and if you are in that niche the games are fantastic, otherwise stick with the DS for portable games.

2 hours ago, Okarin said:

I also said it in past tense, as there was a time when even the present of Vita was dubious, but now it's not. It's a niche console, but not dead. That's not to say it's a foremost option for lots of gamers, including those who love JRPG and VNs.

ooops. sorry, I misunderstood you.