Visual novels with a mostly adult-looking cast

Funyarinpa

2 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

I'm looking for visual novels that have a predominantly adult-looking cast. So I want the cast to look different than your average high schooler bonanza. The genre does not matter. 

Kamaitachi no Yoru (Banshee last Cry), if you can digest the overlocalization.

EVE Burst error (horrible localization by himeya soft)

Time Travelers (youtube trans only)

Forest

Swan Song

eden*

Kikokugai the cyber slayer

the fact that in this game the cast is mostly adult is a spoiler:

Myth

Tomoyo After it's a wonderful life

Ame no Marginal

Cartagra

Words Worth (the protagonist is a teenager, though)

Root letter

Saya no Uta

Hanachirasu

There are also some games with particular parts of the game with an adult cast:

CLANNAD, after story (this is placed after CLANNAD Nagisa Route and the character here are simply aged)

Ef - the latter tale, final chapter (Yuu+Yuko)

Edited by WinterfuryZX

Starless? I guess they would be classified as "young adults".

Other than that not sure what else, Japan is obsessed with teenagers and adolescents so whether it's visual novels or anime you're gonna have a hard time finding much work revolving around a main character cast of adults.

Edited by Nier

On 1/2/2017 at 11:57 AM, Nier said:

Other than that not sure what else, Japan is obsessed with teenagers and adolescents so whether it's visual novels or anime you're gonna have a hard time finding much work revolving around a main character cast of adults.

It's starred by adolescents because it's aimed at adolescents, I believe there are people who pass through high school without paying much attention to manga and fashion, but the majority does.

Anyway at least in manga and anime, there's a seinen demographic with works like, say, Horrible Story Monster, etc. They are starred by adults.

There are also allegedly adult stories told through teenagers, like that Dragon Head mess. A work with great potential vastly misused.

On 2017/2/6 at 11:24 AM, Okarin said:

There are also allegedly adult stories told through teenagers, like that Dragon Head mess. A work with great potential vastly misused.

There are plenty of "adult stories" in anime/manga/visual novels, I believe this is why Anime/Manga/Visual Novel has the most demographic appeal no matter the age or country, as opposed to cartoons. Even the anime for kids can be watched by adults, unlike the west and their cartoons.

Also, it seems that even if a japanese work is aimed at an adult demographics they will still use teen/adolescent characters because Japan, Atlus recently came out and admitted that their Fire Emblem consumer base was in their 20's and 30's. So the consumer base is hardly "teenagers" despite the fact that the main character cast of Fire Emblems are non-adults.

However Dragon Head is no different than the rest, as the characters are still teens just like all the other adult stories with teens in them, not sure it deserve a special mention.

Edited by Nier

18 hours ago, MrP said:

Desire and Burst Error are classic. Shame whoever responsible for the 'localisation' deserves to be shot. Also a lot clicking around the maps to advance the story, but worth the struggle IMHO. 

They were translated by the guys behind Erogeshop.com.  No, for real.  This was back when they were calling themselves Himeyasoft, and for a few years, they translated a bunch of C's Ware games.  As with most games translated in the late 90s (Desire is from 1999, apparently) the translations leave much to be desired.

In EVEbe they changed all non japanese names, I think they were probably planning to change the setting to 'murica, then they revertetd everything to japan at the last minute forgetting to revert all the non japanese names to the original ones. Anway, the translation is terrible and there's plenty of crappy out of place jokes about Bill Clinton and such...

Edited by WinterfuryZX

8 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

They were translated by the guys behind Erogeshop.com. 

Lol. Never knew that. For some reason I always thought C's Ware did it in-house. Maybe I'm confusing things with the (equally awful) Hirameki/KID Ever 17 release. I always found it odd that Burst Error heavily cut/censored, whereas Divi-Dead and Desire aren't. 

Garbled Monica Lewinsky jokes aside, I do love those old PC-98 games. Wish they got more love :amane:

27 minutes ago, Nandemonai said:

Oh, the 15+ version (with all the h-scenes replaced) was the one released that got translated.  Why, I don't know.

Because that was the only version available on Windows at the time.

EDIT: The saturn release got a 18+ rating despite being the same as the windows version, for reasons different than ero

Edited by WinterfuryZX

Ah ok, that makes sense. I always thought it weird, especially given how freaky some of the desire scenes are. 

I suppose Eve's sequel, Adam the Double Factor, fits the bill of mostly adult cast (+ awful localisation) too. Although if you haven't played Eve, you'd be mad to play ADF, its hardly recommendable. Would love to try the retconned version that Uchikoshi was involved in, but theres zero chance of even an awful localization and my Japanese is virtually non-existent. 

2 hours ago, MrP said:

Ah ok, that makes sense. I always thought it weird, especially given how freaky some of the desire scenes are. 

I suppose Eve's sequel, Adam the Double Factor, fits the bill of mostly adult cast (+ awful localisation) too. Although if you haven't played Eve, you'd be mad to play ADF, its hardly recommendable. Would love to try the retconned version that Uchikoshi was involved in, but theres zero chance of even an awful localization and my Japanese is virtually non-existent. 

Avoid it, it's an incomplete mess... the fatal attraction is an expanded and completed version of that game.

Edited by WinterfuryZX

On 8/2/2017 at 1:53 AM, Nier said:

There are plenty of "adult stories" in anime/manga/visual novels, I believe this is why Anime/Manga/Visual Novel has the most demographic appeal no matter the age or country, as opposed to cartoons. Even the anime for kids can be watched by adults, unlike the west and their cartoons.

Also, it seems that even if a japanese work is aimed at an adult demographics they will still use teen/adolescent characters because Japan, Atlus recently came out and admitted that their Fire Emblem consumer base was in their 20's and 30's. So the consumer base is hardly "teenagers" despite the fact that the main character cast of Fire Emblems are non-adults.

However Dragon Head is no different than the rest, as the characters are still teens just like all the other adult stories with teens in them, not sure it deserve a special mention.

Dragon Head is a special case of a deep, dark story where teenagers seem out of place -more adult characters could provide a better insight on what the heck is happening.

Of course, it isn't good that, not only the author himself didn't know where to direct his story, but the status of Japan and the world was slowly revealed, at a crawl.

The story is comparable with the also teenager-starred Never 7, but Dragon Head was even more ambitious -and failed more spectacularly.