Any good dark toned VNs.

Perverted Dao

My favorite VNs of all time are Cross Channel/Saya no uta. I haven't found anything similar to them, i've tried stuff like Kara no Shoujo/Umineko but they just didn't feel the same. They lacked that desolate psychotic feel for me. 

Anyways lmk if you guys got any recommendations. Very much prefer it to be translated, but if it's good enough I don't mind trying to mtl it.

If you liked Saya no Uta maybe you should give Kikokugai and/or Hanachirasu a shot. They're both short, dark Nitro+ VNs and Kikokugai has the same writer as Saya. If you don't mind untranslated, it sounds like Sayonara wo Oshiete is right up your alley (though I haven't read it myself, so take this with a grain of salt, perhaps @Zalor can elaborate?).

8 hours ago, akaritan said:

If you liked Saya no Uta maybe you should give Kikokugai and/or Hanachirasu a shot. They're both short, dark Nitro+ VNs and Kikokugai has the same writer as Saya. If you don't mind untranslated, it sounds like Sayonara wo Oshiete is right up your alley (though I haven't read it myself, so take this with a grain of salt, perhaps @Zalor can elaborate?).

Haha, sure. Its hard to describe Sayonara wo Oshiete briefly, but what makes it so interesting is that you are reading the narrative of a person who is going insane. You see everything through his perspective, so it plays with your perspective of reality. When weird stuff happens, is it because the MC is crazy, or is weird stuff actually happening? It's mostly that psychological aspect that defines Sayonara wo Oshiete as a unique and really interesting title. The title is currently getting translated, so hopefully in the near future it will be available to the English-speaking audience. 

Thanks for the recommendations. I came across most of these other than Phenomeno, mostly just skimmed VNDB though. Will definitely tryout Swan Song/Phenomeno/Hanachirasu. 

Sayanara wo Oshiete looks REALLY interesting, but if it's already getting translated I'll just wait because it should be close to done, right?

Euphoria is a nukige... isn't it? If it's got a good story i'll check it out, but I thought nukige were just for mindless fap lol.

Corpse party - 99% sure I wached a let's play of it already. Wasn't into it.

Kikokugai looks futuristic, not into that.

1 hour ago, Perverted Dao said:

Sayanara wo Oshiete looks REALLY interesting, but if it's already getting translated I'll just wait because it should be close to done, right?

Currently the translation is 40% complete. That is according to the TLwiki page here

3 hours ago, Zalor said:

Haha, sure. Its hard to describe Sayonara wo Oshiete briefly, but what makes it so interesting is that you are reading the narrative of a person who is going insane. You see everything through his perspective, so it plays with your perspective of reality. When weird stuff happens, is it because the MC is crazy, or is weird stuff actually happening? It's mostly that psychological aspect that defines Sayonara wo Oshiete as a unique and really interesting title. The title is currently getting translated, so hopefully in the near future it will be available to the English-speaking audience. 

Sorry, I probably threw you under the bus, ahaha. :sachi: I've heard you speak of it quite glowingly several times though, and I figured you'd do a much better job selling it than I would.

Be warned, they are all untranslated.

Tokyo Necro

Jingai Makyou

Muramasa

Ryakudatsusha no In'en (and Ryuukishi, its sequel)

Mugen Renkan (if you don't mind the massive amounts of protagonist rape and mutilation)

Midori no Umi (subtle psychotic behavior is creepy, lol)

Abyss Homicide Club

Boku ga Tenshi ni Natta Wake

Vermilion Bind of Blood

10 hours ago, akaritan said:

Sorry, I probably threw you under the bus, ahaha. :sachi: I've heard you speak of it quite glowingly several times though, and I figured you'd do a much better job selling it than I would.

No problem, I always enjoy talking about VNs that I love. 

On 1/28/2017 at 5:44 PM, Perverted Dao said:

Euphoria is a nukige... isn't it? If it's got a good story i'll check it out, but I thought nukige were just for mindless fap lol.

I do not consider Euphoria to be a nukige.  There's too much story.  It's very close to being one, but I don't think it quite makes it all the way over the line.  Your mileage may vary on how good the story actually is - I personally feel like it seems like two stories awkwardly grafted together, and I feel like one of those stories doesn't have enough screentime - but there definitely is a good one there.  Just be warned, the h-scenes are rather extreme (to the point I ctrl-skipped every single one).