Yuri Chuunige Pygmalion Released

littleshogun

Not quite good thread title to be honest here, but right now there's good news from Mangagamer in regard of Pygmalion, namely that they finally ready for release at February 24th according to the blogpost (Which is 27 days from today). And this time instead of male protagonist, we will had female protagonist which naturally made it looks like this is some sort of yuri VN now that majority of the cast were still female instead of male. As for this VN, it was from propeller which quite famous for chuunige and apparently this time they attempt to made some sort of yuri chuunige. The graphic for this VN was the one that take my interest the most when Mangagamer announced this alongside Tokyo Babel (I could rant about this here, but better not). I think that's all that I could write for now and I'll still interested with this even though I knew that this VN maybe not for everyone, especially Clephas. I'll write about the info and other review later.

Edited by littleshogun

I'm actually quite interested in Pygmalion. In comparison to Tokyo Babel it seems to be more mystery than action and I usually prefer mystery, at least if it comes to VN's. I'm also kind of relieved that it's not tagged as comedy, since Tokyo Babel's indecisiveness if it wants to be a comedy VN or an utsuge was a bit too much for me and made it hard to take the the VN seriously. Especially the high school in limbo... :blink:

Sure, there's no guarantee that Pygmalion will be better, but I'm at least willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

And not to forget, there's also Yang Li-Ling, the cool Chinese chick I'm heavily interested in since I saw her the first time. A heroine that is actually older than 20 - so rare that it's hard to believe that it's even a Japanese VN. 

c765347sample8.jpg

Edited by ChaosRaven

12 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

I'm actually quite interested in Pygmalion. In comparison to Tokyo Babel it seems to be more mystery than action and I usually prefer mystery, at least if it comes to VN's. I'm also kind of relieved that it's not tagged as comedy, since Tokyo Babel's indecisiveness if it wants to be a comedy VN or an utsuge was a bit too much for me and made it hard to take the the VN seriously. Especially the high school in limbo... :blink:

Sure, there's no guarantee that Pygmalion will be better, but I'm at least willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

And not to forget, there's also Yang Li-Ling, the cool Chinese chick I'm heavily interested in since I saw her the first time. A heroine that is actually older than 20 - so rare that it's hard to believe that it's even a Japanese VN. 

c765347sample8.jpg

It isn't mystery, if that's what you are wondering.  It is a rather half-hearted effort at combining the chuunige and yurige genres in an all-ages package.  It lacks the impact and drama of a good chuunige, and as a yurige it comes across as somewhat lacking due to the events of the story.  Tbh, this game would have been much, much better if they'd included an interesting antagonist.  Unfortunately, the lack of a good antagonist is a fatal flaw in this VN, even moreso than the weak protagonist and vagueness of the setting.

Sougeki no Jaeger is basically a picture of everything that can possibly go wrong with a low-budget chuunige, lol.  It's short, it's boring, and the characters and story are less than enthralling.

I'll be honest I have no interest in Pygmalion...just doesn't sound interesting. Perhaps I'll pick it up when it inevitably goes cheap but I think I will wait for something better to release at least initially. Hopefully we can still get something great from propeller in the future even if this particular game flops.

Pros:
- Good (not great, but still) premise
- All ages from the beginning
- Original, not overlly moe art
- Yuri (usually means less stupid perverntess in """jokes""")

Cons:
- Chuuni and yuri mix - might create a mess.
- Six(!) writters - might create an inconsistent mess
- Clephas mini-rewiev raised few problems with pacing and character development. 

Soooo.... yeah, I'm totally giving this a chance, even when I couldn't make myself to care enough for Tokio Babel to even read through whole demo.

Edited by Vorathiel

There's also a more positive review about the title on VNDB in the comments section. It's a bit of a contrast to Clephas' more critical one.

Overall, I think it's worth reading both for people who are still unsure, to get to know both sides of the medal. It's also worth noting that Pygmalion was just slighly lower rated than Tokyo Babel both on VNDB and EGS. So it's probably not a kamige but still a decent title for people who like the theme and the story premise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2017 at 7:05 PM, Clephas said:

It isn't mystery, if that's what you are wondering.  It is a rather half-hearted effort at combining the chuunige and yurige genres in an all-ages package.  It lacks the impact and drama of a good chuunige, and as a yurige it comes across as somewhat lacking due to the events of the story.  Tbh, this game would have been much, much better if they'd included an interesting antagonist.  Unfortunately, the lack of a good antagonist is a fatal flaw in this VN, even moreso than the weak protagonist and vagueness of the setting.

Sougeki no Jaeger is basically a picture of everything that can possibly go wrong with a low-budget chuunige, lol.  It's short, it's boring, and the characters and story are less than enthralling.

Cant be any more half-heart/bland then Aoishiro - at least, I hope not. Aoishiro was "ok" but fits your description by a close margin.

I'll still give this a shot - the premise sound cool, and I like the idea of a yuri/chuuni mix - see how it goes I soppose.

3 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Cant be any more half-heart/bland then Aoishiro - at least, I hope not. Aoishiro was "ok" but fits your description by a close margin.

I'll still give this a shot - the premise sound cool, and I like the idea of a yuri/chuuni mix - see how it goes I soppose.

Aoishiro was better. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost the time for the release, and I'd play the demo. I admit that the character development was quite sudden compared to some other VNs, but I'll try to adapt with that. As for the action, not much compared in Tokyo Babel but neverthless it's still there (Less explosive though). On the other hand, the Madoka tone was quite strong just as Mangagamer staff said in their blogpost. That's all I could say for now, and have fun playing Pygmalion here.

Edited by littleshogun

• 2 weeks later...

Here's our FredtheBarber Fuwa Review in regard if this game. To be honest, I'd quite interested with his opinion since I saw him vote 8.5 back at VNDB, and as expected his review was interesting. As for the tearing, not noticing too much when I play the demo to be honest. Although perhaps the tearing was side effect from Mangagamer fix in regard of crash (Maybe).

1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

Here's our FredtheBarber Fuwa Review in regard if this game. To be honest, I'd quite interested with his opinion since I saw him vote 8.5 back at VNDB, and as expected his review was interesting. As for the tearing, not noticing too much when I play the demo to be honest. Although perhaps the tearing was side effect from Mangagamer fix in regard of crash (Maybe).

It's an issue with propeller's engine, there's an experimental fix downloadable here:

On 3/8/2017 at 7:06 PM, littleshogun said:

I voted it 8, not 8.5. A 1-10 scale is already ridiculous enough; it doesn't need fractional values.

23 hours ago, WinterfuryZX said:

It's an issue with propeller's engine, there's an experimental fix downloadable here:

Be careful with that - I know he gave a caveat about potential problems, but I can go a bit farther and confirm there are problems with it and Pygmalion: at least one game crash for me, and several black screen issues.

• 2 weeks later...