Umineko TL Quality?

Silvz

So guys, here it is me asking more questions [that could be answered by google - maybe]. Since I never saw anybody commenting about this, I thought it would be worth asking for I am interested on rereading Umineko no Naku Koro Ni.

I've read it when there was only the fan translation and that UmiTweak patch with PS3 sprites. Since them, we got MangaGamer's new edit on the game, with sprites from that patchinko stuff. However, no voices, and possibly no CGs =(

My question here is how good is this new version in terms of translation quality and if it is worth to play this version instead of a PS3'd one. Also, has anybody done a patch to include voices and all on MangaGamer's version? That would pretty much solve my problem :P

There's actually a third version, the Umineko Project version, which goes far beyond what the UmiTweak patch did. They coded a whole new engine from scratch which replicates the PS3 version near-exactly, with lots of special effects and features the UmiTweak version didn't have, and at the same time they TLCed and edited the Witch Hunt translation, separately from MangaGamer.

Both Umineko Project and MangaGamer translations are improved by a pretty large amount, but I haven't really dug into either so I can't get into the specific differences. 

It's also worth mentioning that there is a patch which adds PS3 art and voices to the MangaGamer version: https://github.com/07th-mod/umineko-question

It doesn't contain all the features Umineko Project has, but they're all pretty minor (screen shake, animated text, rain effects, other misc visual effects, a few unimportant system features). 

Edited by Decay

44 minutes ago, Decay said:

It's also worth mentioning that there is a patch which adds PS3 art and voices to the MangaGamer version: https://github.com/07th-mod/umineko-question

It doesn't contain all the features Umineko Project has, but they're all pretty minor (screen shake, animated text, rain effects, other misc visual effects, a few unimportant system features). 

Rain effects you mean appart from the original ones? But isn't this Umineko Project the ones who required having both PS3 and PC games in order to use their patch? If so, it is not really an option, since I don't plan to buy the PS3 one. Also, I see that the GitHub one works with the Steam version too, so that is a plus.

And Zakamutt, you are comparing MG's to these recent patchs? Or the UmiTweak version? The latter was the Witch Hunt translation, so it is not really "fair" to compare.

7 hours ago, Silvz said:

And Zakamutt, you are comparing MG's to these recent patchs? Or the UmiTweak version? The latter was the Witch Hunt translation, so it is not really "fair" to compare.

FWIW, I think Witch Hunt were the ones to edit the Steam release's TL in the first place, so that's possibly why.

I haven't compared UP with the Mangagamer release, though, so I can't say much about it.

In my post, I was comparing MG's tl to Umineko Project's tl. Both were changed from Witch Hunt's original fan translation, by different people. I'm not sure who those people were.

Personally I'm semi holding out for the hero to integrate the MG tl with umineko project's port... or maybe just read it in jp in three years or so. Whenever the answer arcs are out by MG I will consider starting on just MG's version, as I never was a stickler for presentation quality anyway.