Disappointing Endings

Naoe

You're reading through a route of some VN. You really enjoy it and are invested. Suddenly you get to the end of it and the ending just ruins it.

I hate that. The route(can refer to any) would be good but the end would just be disappointing. It feels as if all that progress was for nothing. No pay off.

Had to get that out. lol

I would call it the "Weis-Hickman effect".

It's rare in visual novels. Another problem altogether is when a route in an eroge is completely predictable. Especially if you've read dozens of them. In some, you can pretty much tell what is the noose, the development and the denouément. Some, from the common route already. In other cases, shortly into the route.

In that sense, Lucia Konohana's route did leave me baffled, but at least it did surprise me, completely.

My disappointing ending was before Clannad's publishing and Yukine was dropped as a main heroine.

:kosame: Y u do dis, Key? Y u do dis? :kosame:

I wanted to KMS when I heard that she was dropped because Yukine is best gril.

That's my disappointing ending. Ended before it even began. :makina:

Also, there is another disappointing ending.

Rem: "Show me how amazing you are, Subaru-kun."

Subaru: "Rem."

Rem: "Yes?"

Subaru: "I love Emilia."

Me: "GAWDFUCKINGDAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY?I YOU FUCKING CUNT! THIS GIRL IS SOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN EMILIA!"

Nuff said.

Hmmmm, there are plenty of routes for heroines that I found pretty disappointing, but there are hardly any "endings" that really took me off guard. The only one that jumps out in my memory is the true ending of Clannad. They had a powerful story about overcoming personal tragedy and putting your life together after God gives you the finger........... than they decided to commit plot suicide with a overdose of space magic. Fuck your deus ex machina Clannad.

Edited by Soulless Watcher

2 hours ago, KaoDoroSesu said:

My disappointing ending was before Clannad's publishing and Yukine was dropped as a main heroine.

:kosame: Y u do dis, Key? Y u do dis? :kosame:

I wanted to KMS when I heard that she was dropped because Yukine is best gril.

That's my disappointing ending. Ended before it even began. :makina:

Also, there is another disappointing ending.

Rem: "Show me how amazing you are, Subaru-kun."

Subaru: "Rem."

Rem: "Yes?"

Subaru: "I love Emilia."

Me: "GAWDFUCKINGDAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY?I YOU FUCKING CUNT! THIS GIRL IS SOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN EMILIA!"

Nuff said.

Oh that girl. I didn't know she was planned to be a main character. I would have definitely preferred her than that stupid guy having a route. I mean I know Yukine gets a route too but... ah forget it.

Ah, I can understand that little example there. Not sure if I seen this scenario in any VN I've read but 'm sure there out there. What is that from by the way?

Just now, Kurisu-Chan said:

Definitely Clannad's true end, that was shit, shit, shit.

Yeah. I didn't like it. I get it that he collected enough orbs to reverse time, but what does THAT have to do with the story?!

Does that just mean wishful thinking will change the past and future? :makina:

No, no. Shit doesn't happen like that. Nagisa and Ushio are dead and gone in my mind.

FUCK THAT TRUE END!

True end should have resulted in Tomoya living out his life how most people do after similar events happen in real life.

Just now, KaoDoroSesu said:

Yeah. I didn't like it. I get it that he collected enough orbs to reverse time, but what does THAT have to do with the story?!

Does that just mean wishful thinking will change the past and future? :makina:

No, no. Shit doesn't happen like that. Nagisa and Ushio are dead and gone in my mind.

FUCK THAT TRUE END!

True end should have resulted in Tomoya living out his life how most people do after similar events happen in real life.

Actually it was a D-mail. :holo: 

9 minutes ago, Naoe said:

Oh that girl. I didn't know she was planned to be a main character. I would have definitely preferred her than that stupid guy having a route. I mean I know Yukine gets a route too but... ah forget it.

Ah, I can understand that little example there. Not sure if I seen this scenario in any VN I've read but 'm sure there out there. What is that from by the way?

No, no. Naoe, Yukine was meant to have a much more expanded route like Tomoyo's and Kyou's, but the story board team realized that her story wouldn't have worked very well, so they dropped her into a smaller optional route.

Initially, you were meant to get into a romance with her like with the main heroines, but the story was convoluted and confusing, thus the reason why her route was dropped.

Tomoya would've still been the main character.

Interestingly, if you look at the PS2 Clannad box art, you'll see Yukine on the cover, denoting that she was intended to be a main heroine to go for.

Okay to be honest. I didn't fully finish Clannad. I just did the normal routes and then stopped. I don't intend to finish any time in the future.

Also I didn't know that the orbs actually meant something. I thought they were just there to tell you you finished a route. Now that I know that, it is really stupid.

1 minute ago, Naoe said:

Okay to be honest. I didn't fully finish Clannad. I just did the normal routes and then stopped. I don't intend to finish any time in the future.

Also I didn't know that the orbs actually meant something. I thought they were just there to tell you you finished a route. Now that I know that, it is really stupid.

I didn't mean to spoil it for you. :kosame:

15 minutes ago, KaoDoroSesu said:

I didn't mean to spoil it for you. :kosame:

Ah no its okay that's fine. I already knew from the anime anyway.

18 minutes ago, KaoDoroSesu said:

No, no. Naoe, Yukine was meant to have a much more expanded route like Tomoyo's and Kyou's, but the story board team realized that her story wouldn't have worked very well, so they dropped her into a smaller optional route.

Initially, you were meant to get into a romance with her like with the main heroines, but the story was convoluted and confusing, thus the reason why her route was dropped.

Tomoya would've still been the main character.

Interestingly, if you look at the PS2 Clannad box art, you'll see Yukine on the cover, denoting that she was intended to be a main heroine to go for.

Well I wasn't saying she was gonna be the main character as in Tomoyas role. i just meant like a main girl route.

Also wow so it does. 

Most VN endings suck.

I know that sounds like an overly generalized statement, but the fact is that VN writers just don't seem to be very good at finalizing their stories.  If you make me love the characters and get interested in the story, I want an ending that is at the same level or higher than what I read in the rest of the VN...

I read Clannad a few months ago and... Didn't Yukine have a route? I remember playing it, with all the mafia and stuff, no? BTW, watch out with spoilers, people!

Probably everybody will disagree with me here, but I didn't like Steins;Gate true ending. For me, the story was going through a specific direction with how it dealt with the D-mails and how changing the past could alter the future, and then the True Ending happened, basically ignoring what came before it. It could have ended before the true route for me, with ~that~ character dying and done.

5 minutes ago, Silvz said:

I read Clannad a few months ago and... Didn't Yukine have a route? I remember playing it, with all the mafia and stuff, no? BTW, watch out with spoilers, people!

No, no, no. I'm talking pre-production of Clannad. Yukine was intended to have a romantic route with Tomoya, but it was convoluted and confusing so it was dropped in favor of the gang and family sub-route instead. Which I would have preferred having a romance route with Yukine because she is best gril in Clannad. Out of the main heroines though, I'd have to say my favorite route is Kotomi.

Well, other than Clannad (which I haven't finished btw, but saw the anime) we also have Little Busters, which also has a pretty shitty ending. It feels like Maeda just doesn't know how to end his stories. Well, recently I started to get a feeling that he doesn't even know how to write a proper story, without fully relying on 'feels'.

2 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Well, other than Clannad (which I haven't finished btw, but saw the anime) we also have Little Busters, which also has a pretty shitty ending. It feels like Maeda just doesn't know how to end his stories. Well, recently I started to get a feeling that he doesn't even know how to write a proper story, without fully relying on 'feels'.

I agree. I played LB on PSP though, so my experience might have varied some. Regardless though, I didn't like the ending.

:amane: Could've been much better at the end. :amane: 

4 hours ago, KaoDoroSesu said:

No, no, no. I'm talking pre-production of Clannad. Yukine was intended to have a romantic route with Tomoya, but it was convoluted and confusing so it was dropped in favor of the gang and family sub-route instead. Which I would have preferred having a romance route with Yukine because she is best gril in Clannad. Out of the main heroines though, I'd have to say my favorite route is Kotomi.

Kotomi bro! Yeah!!

So this really is just a Clannad bashing thread. ...Let me get in on this too.

My problem isn't that it has a happy ending though (because I'm a sucker for cheesy happy endings) but that it is painfully abrupt and does not properly explain anything. If you're going to essentially overwrite everything that happened the last few hours you could at least have the decency to make it longer than it takes for me to finish my breakfast.

Speaking of Key, Little Buster's ending also felt like chickening out. Maeda, If you want your happy endings, which again I have no problems with, properly set them up. Not these rushed Deux ex machina things.

Honorable Mention also goes to VA-11 HALL-A for kinda just ending. Didn't even realize we were near the end until I got the Thank You mail. Felt like the author either ran out of inspiration or time.

I wanted to go into more detail but it seems I can't get the spoiler function to work on my phone at the moment. Oh well, considering how popular these threads tend to get you won't have a shorthand of people telling you why your favorite ending sucks :makina:

Edited by MercyZombie