Dragon Quest VIII 8 Discussion Thread

Novel21

2763899-dq8.jpg

Dragon Quest Journey of Cursed King(Dragon Quest VIII) PS2/IPhone/Android and 3DS

Information about the game: 

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, known in Japan as Dragon Quest VIII Sora to Umi to Daichi to Norowareshi Himegimi (ドラゴンクエストVIII 空と海と大地と呪われし姫君?, lit. "Dragon Quest VIII: The Sky, the Ocean, the Earth, and the Cursed Princess") and in PAL regions as Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King, is a role-playing video game developed by Level-5 and published by Square Enix for the PlayStation 2. It was first released in Japan in 2004, and was later released in North America in 2005 and PAL regions in 2006, making it the first main series installment released in the PAL region.[9] It is the eighth installment of the popular Dragon Quest series and it is the first English version of a Dragon Quest game to drop the Dragon Warrior title.[10] A version of the game for Android and iOS was released in Japan in December 2013,[4] and worldwide in May 2014.[2][3]

Dragon Quest VIII uses cel-shading textures for the characters and scenery and is the first game in the series to have fully 3D environments and character models.[11] The game retains most of the series' role-playing game elements, such as turn-based combat and the experience level system. Dragon Quest VIII follows the silent Hero, the main character, and his party of allies as they journey towards the goal of defeating the wicked Dhoulmagus. The kingdom of Trodain has been cursed by Dhoulmagus, with the King, Trode, and his daughter, Medea, transformed into a troll and a horse respectively, and it is up to the Hero to return them to their original form and save the kingdom.

Dragon Quest VIII enjoyed much success since its release, both in Japan and in North America. It is a Square Enix Ultimate Hits and a Sony Greatest Hits title. A survey conducted in 2006 by Famitsu earned the game the #4 spot as the best video game of all time, after Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy VII and Dragon Quest III.[12]

And now have have the game finally come out for 3DS with new features, character, Dungeons and one new ending.

I buy the game yesterday and I finish download the game early today, so I have just start playing the game and enjoy the game a lot.  

I won't say much about the game since I hope I get everyone to try the game and see how the game are.

So I have couple of question.

1. Do you have plans to buy Dragon Quest VIII?
  2. Have you play Dragon Quest VIII for PS2?
  3. Which you don't have plans to buy Dragon Quest VIII, Can you please tell me why?

That was all for now:-)

1. Not at this time no.

2. Yes

3. Censorship

3.2: I may one day pick the game up but not upon release and not until on sale at a later date. I do not like supporting localization censorship just to get a low rating on a game to sell more copies. Because of this I often will wait until a game is either used or a lot cheaper before I purchase a game that has been censored. Why give them full price for a game when we do not get the full game ourselves? I'll likely get it far down the road but I might also just skip rebuying it and simply going with the new DQ game coming out instead.

Bought the 3DS version since I never played the PS2 release and it's been fine so far, pretty basic but fine. I've finished the tower quest and...am I the only one who thinks Jessica's voice sounds a little... off?  Like the VA's trying to hard to sound dramatic, I mean I get why knowing the context of the scene, but still...