Which VN to read next?

Sparteh

Hey. This time I came here not because I need extra recommendations, but in order to decide what to read from my plan to read. I know, it sounds silly. I should finish both Eustia and Mahoutsukai no Yoru in the next few days and since I am on holiday I want do reading marathon. Sadly my Japanese skill level is nowhere near to being close for Dies Irae or Muramasa. I am not sure about some of these (those which do not have translations) as well. I would also like to avoid gameplay since I am terrible at it and simply because I play VN for stories and not playing. I also prefer happy endings. So opinions, recommendations and so on would be welcomed. Here is the list:

•         Angel Beats!      
  •         Baldr Sky Dive series
  •         Bradyon Veda        
  •         Devils Devel Concept        
  •         Eien no Aselia -The Spirit of Eternity Sword-        
  •         Evolimit        
  •         Grisaia part 2 and 3
  •         Hapymaher        
  •         Irotoridori no Sekai        
  •         Kagetsu Tooya        
  •         Kami no Ue no Mahoutsukai        
  •         Kyokugen Dasshutsu 9-Jikan 9-Nin 9 no Tobira        
  •         Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV Zennin Shibou Desu        
  •         Mirai Nostalgia        
  •         Root Double -Before Crime * After Days-        
  •         Sakura no Mori † Dreamers        
  •         Sakura no Uta -Sakura no Mori no Ue o Mau-        
  •         Semiramis no Tenbin        
  •         Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo        
  •         Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~       
  •         Suzukaze no Melt -Where Wishes are Drawn to Each Other-       
  •         Tasogare no Sinsemilla
  •         Tenshi no Hane o Fumanaide

1 hour ago, Sparteh said:

Hey. This time I came here not because I need extra recommendations, but in order to decide what to read from my plan to read. I know, it sounds silly. I should finish both Eustia and Mahoutsukai no Yoru in the next few days and since I am on holiday I want do reading marathon. Sadly my Japanese skill level is nowhere near to being close for Dies Irae or Muramasa. I am not sure about some of these (those which do not have translations) as well. I would also like to avoid gameplay since I am terrible at it and simply because I play VN for stories and not playing. I also prefer happy endings. So opinions, recommendations and so on would be welcomed. Here is the list:

•         Angel Beats!      
  •         Baldr Sky Dive series
  •         Bradyon Veda        
  •         Devils Devel Concept        
  •         Eien no Aselia -The Spirit of Eternity Sword-        
  •         Evolimit        
  •         Grisaia part 2 and 3
  •         Hapymaher        
  •         Irotoridori no Sekai        
  •         Kagetsu Tooya        
  •         Kami no Ue no Mahoutsukai        
  •         Kyokugen Dasshutsu 9-Jikan 9-Nin 9 no Tobira        
  •         Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV Zennin Shibou Desu        
  •         Mirai Nostalgia        
  •         Root Double -Before Crime * After Days-        
  •         Sakura no Mori † Dreamers        
  •         Sakura no Uta -Sakura no Mori no Ue o Mau-        
  •         Semiramis no Tenbin        
  •         Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo        
  •         Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~       
  •         Suzukaze no Melt -Where Wishes are Drawn to Each Other-       
  •         Tasogare no Sinsemilla
  •         Tenshi no Hane o Fumanaide

Semiramis no Tenbin is a great game, except for Sunao's ending (hers has issues if you like Ami).  I will say that you will see the ugliest side of Japanese societal structure in this VN though.

Suzukaze no Melt is an excellent game, if you just want some charage/moege stress relief. 

Tasogare no Sinsemilla... it has a few endings that approach the Tsukihime 'normal' ending in style, but other than that it is an excellent game.

Tenshi no Hane o Fumanaide is one of my permanent recommendations for all Vn lovers to at least try to play.

Evolimit is great... and it is significantly easier than Dies Irae.

Devils Devel Concept has a difficulty level approaching that of Dies Irae, so you might want to avoid it.

Subahibi has mostly bad endings, so you probably want to avoid it.

Baldr Sky Dive has gameplay.

Hapymaher is a first-class nakige with the single best soundtrack in all of VNs.

Irotoridori no Sekai is Favorite at its best, so if you liked Hoshimemo, you are pretty much guaranteed to like it.

Sakura no Mori Dreamers... if you can remain sane after the prologue, it is easy to enjoy.

Sakura no Uta has the same problems as Subahibi

Kami no Ue no Mahoutsukai has a huge number of bad and 'normal' endings.

Eien no Aselia is fully translated but it does have gameplay.  However, if you are willing, it is a first-class VN story.

If you start Grisaia Part 2, I recommend you immediately play 3 after, as it is immensely frustrating otherwise.

Mirai Nostalgia was the first Purple Soft game to earn my mostly unstinting praise.

Sharin no Kuni will probably split opinions here, but I enjoyed it immensely at the time.  The only question is whether it will fit you tastes once you begin to play it.

I'd love to reccomend Kami no Ue no Mahoutsukai (it's pretty cool), but that VN has a lot misery (probably not what you think, either). The story is a mystery with rather conceptual supernatural elements. It is also a character-centric work.

Semiramis no Tenbin is a fascinating/stimulating read, though not particularly 'happy' (what Clephas said). It's also a harder title to read (but totally doable).

Tenshi no Hane o Fumanaide if you don't hate the setting and the pace of it, you'll probably enjoy it. It's a little bit different, and yet should still appeal to a wide range of niche readers.

Edited by Chronopolis

11 hours ago, Clephas said:

Hapymaher is a first-class nakige with the single best soundtrack in all of VNs.

Sakura no Mori Dreamers... if you can remain sane after the prologue, it is easy to enjoy.

I have 2 questions:

1 - Is Hapymaher more of Eden* style nakige or more like Angel Beats/Clannad After stories anime type (with implied/bittersweet/semi-happy ending instead of pure). I keep hearing mixed comments about this. Some say it was epic, others say it was trash... 

2 - Stay sane during prologue? Stay sane as in Saya no Uta style or Umineko (mystery)/Steins;Gate (physics theory) style?

@Sparteh

1- Technically speaking, Eden* is what is called a 'soft utsuge', where there is an element of redemption to an ending that is essentially sad in nature.  Hapymaher is a nakige, where most of the endings (except Maia's) are good endings, though there is a lot of moments designed to bring on tears throughout the story.

2-  Read the blog post.

Okay then, let me tried to give some recommendations here although to be honest I didn't read untranslated VN though if you need some untranslated VN Recommendations. Although if you want to finished some translated VN perhaps you could pick from Sharin first because it's shorter one compared to Aselia and Root Double. For more elaboration, Sharin was had some unique setting although perhaps the system was not your favorite there (Perhaps), Root Double was had trapped in dangerous situation which turn out had some mystery there, and Aselia was had some gameplay which perhaps you better avoid that if you really dislike the gameplay. Oh, and by the way both of Sharin and Root Double was had happy ending ultimately. Hope it could be help, and you could ask more if you're had more questions there.

On 17.01.2017 at 11:00 PM, Clephas said:

Semiramis no Tenbin is a great game, except for Sunao's ending (hers has issues if you like Ami).  I will say that you will see the ugliest side of Japanese societal structure in this VN though.

Could you explain in a spoiler box?It's untranslated and ı'm curious.8)

2 hours ago, Deniz said:

Could you explain in a spoiler box?It's untranslated and ı'm curious.8)

Spoilers for the game as a whole.

Spoiler

Ami, the main/true heroine, is a calculating, ruthless young woman who tricks the protagonist into bed/a compromising position so she can use his apartment to avoid her uncle, who she believes murdered her parents and wants to rape her.  Just to give you some background.  She is a near-sociopath with an endless curiosity about how far she can manipulate people without them realizing it.

The social elements this VN shows are mostly the negative aspects of a collectivist society.  For one thing, there is a custom in Japan where the police/authorities don't involve themselves in domestic issues until they spill out of the home or become obvious to the community.  Another issue is that rape has to be gang rape before the authorities will usually be willing to involve themselves (and that only because it is a federal crime rather than a local one).  Rape victims in Japan have a tendency to report it even less than over here, as a result (because of the potential to embarrass their family).  There is a lot more in there, but this is some of the more shocking parts.

Spoilers for Sunao's ending

Spoiler

Sunao is the 'popular girl' of the class that Ami manipulates into falling in love with the protagonist.  The reason Ami does this is so she can get them together so there will be no problems with her murdering her uncle then disappearing, leaving no attachments behind.  As a result, this ending has the poorest result overall, and Sunao herself is like a less-intelligent version of Ami (without the dark experiences as an excuse, lol).

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:00 PM, Clephas said:

Suzukaze no Melt is an excellent game, if you just want some charage/moege stress relief. 

Tasogare no Sinsemilla... it has a few endings that approach the Tsukihime 'normal' ending in style, but other than that it is an excellent game.

Tenshi no Hane o Fumanaide is one of my permanent recommendations for all Vn lovers to at least try to play.

Evolimit is great... and it is significantly easier than Dies Irae.

Devils Devel Concept has a difficulty level approaching that of Dies Irae, so you might want to avoid it.

Subahibi has mostly bad endings, so you probably want to avoid it.

Baldr Sky Dive has gameplay.

Irotoridori no Sekai is Favorite at its best, so if you liked Hoshimemo, you are pretty much guaranteed to like it.

Sakura no Uta has the same problems as Subahibi

Kami no Ue no Mahoutsukai has a huge number of bad and 'normal' endings.

Eien no Aselia is fully translated but it does have gameplay.  However, if you are willing, it is a first-class VN story.

If you start Grisaia Part 2, I recommend you immediately play 3 after, as it is immensely frustrating otherwise.

Mirai Nostalgia was the first Purple Soft game to earn my mostly unstinting praise.

Sharin no Kuni will probably split opinions here, but I enjoyed it immensely at the time.  The only question is whether it will fit you tastes once you begin to play it.

Well said from a true veteran.

GG, Celphas, GG.

PS Clephas: I refrained myself REALLY hard from just calling you Clefairy or Cleffa. :3

30 minutes ago, KaoDoroSesu said:

Well said from a true veteran.

GG, Celphas, GG.

PS Clephas: I refrained myself REALLY hard from just calling you Clefairy or Cleffa. :3

Don't worry, I just call you Breakfast.  *swallows KaoDoroSesu whole*