Top 10 Most Wanted VNs: 2017

kyrt

So I did one of these in the past...basically it's a top 10 most wanted visual novels for 2017 list along with any honorable mentions you want to mention. Part of the purpose of this is to eventually go through and similar to what Mangagamer is doing, find out which games pop up the most often. At the same time this is hopefully going to introduce people to new potential games to look for as the bigger name visual novels are consistently getting licensed and people might start feeling as if there isn't anything. I will briefly go over a few reasons for picking what I did but you don't have to. 

1. Aiyoku no Eustia (The company behind this game August is one of the great hold out visual novel companies that according to opinions have great games. I am in particular interested in this game because the characters are supposedly adults and not in school. It's nice to see visual novels that escape the school setting and still manage to set up an interesting premise).

2. Harumade, Kururu ( For a game that initially sounds like a cliche harem romp I have heard nothing but praise for this game and it's enough to consider me extremely curious to find out why people say it's more than it seems. I've liked previous games that have switched genres midway through and this one seems like it could have potential. My biggest reason though is simply curiosity)

3. Twinkle Crusaders (Honestly I'm not sure why I think this would potentially be a good pick it sounds stupidly cliche in a way that the game itself might be funny. I'm not overly sold on the art but the fact the game also has gameplay kind of intrigues me a bit. I also think this is a more likely pick for a company like Mangagamer to pick up. I think it would sell well and that is good for whatever company decides to pick it up which is good for the medium overall). 

4. Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai: Honestly the real thing about this one that is selling me on the initial idea is the idea that the relationships will occur over time. I don't know how accurate this is but if that's the case I'd be for it. The art looks pretty solid and I've heard it's pretty long and while it has some routes better than others I'm interested enough that I wouldn't mind it. I am mainly jumping on board this one because a bunch of people are saying it's good no idea if this is true or not).

5. White Album 2: (I highly doubt that we would get this game but then look at what else has been happening recently with all the other licenses. It's not impossible. I actually really enjoyed the anime and would love to see the actual game version of events as generally the story will be better in the written medium). 

6. Akatsuki no Goei Trilogy: (Don't ask me why I want this trilogy so much but I do. It sounds hell of a entertaining and might not be as it seems at first glance. I rather like the art and the premise and the character designs. It was one of the first non-translated visual novels that I ever heard of and it's probably why this and Parfait ~Chocolat Second Brew~ have been on my most wanted visual novels list for a long time. The premise of this makes me think it would sell well as well which is a plus. It's a bit older than some but damn I would love to see this. 

7. Evolimit/Bullet Butlers: Tokyo Babel is so far enjoyable. Not the greatest visual novel but I like a lot of what it is trying to do. Propeller is showing themselves to be capable and I wouldn't mind reading two of their so-called biggest hits.

8. Eushully (any): (A number of visual novels I wouldn't mind from this company: Amayui Castle Meister (not yet out but it's in the same series as Kamidori Alchemy Meister so I would like to see it one day...extremely unlikely to get released in 2017 though even if Eushully did decide to release in the west). Ikusa Megami Zero, Ikusa Megami Verita, or Soukoku no Arterial. Biggest reason is the gameplay as Eushully is one of the big gameplay visual novel creators and for the most part they have decent or great game releases according to popular opinion.

9. Scarlett: (I really like the idea of multiple protagonists in game that tells a good story through it. The game premise is a simple little story about 2 people and their different worlds and loves. It's one of the older visual novels on this list but I usually end up liking these types of visual novels so this one has enough in it to get me interested).

10. Soushuu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin: Light just entered the translated vn scene and they have quite a few visual novels that look interesting that I wouldn't mind reading at some point in time, this is just one of them.

Honorable Mentions: Hatsuyuki SakuraKoiiro SoramoyouSubarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~, Tropical Kiss, Daitoshokan no HitsujikaiSakura no Uta -Sakura no Mori no Ue o Mau-, Evenicle, Ao no Kanata no Four RhythmSanoba Witch, Sengoku+Koihime~Otome Kenran *Sengoku Emaki Amairo*IslenautsSekai de Ichiban Dame na KoiAmatsutsumi, HHG Megami no Shuuen, , Da Capo III: spin off and fandisc (preferably mangagamer should bundle them together) Lovesick Puppies -Bokura wa Koi Suru Tame ni Umaretekita-, and Liar-Soft titles in general. 

Unlikely Hopes: 18+ Pulltop titles (Miagete Goran, Yozora no Hoshi o), Muramasa,  Tsukihime Remake, Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa nai - under the innocent sky, ChuSinGura 18+(better translation), AstralAir no Shiroki Towa, 18+ Baldr SkyHatsuru Koto Naki Mirai YoriKono Yo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo YU-NO (or the older version)

nukige because might as well: No Pantsu!!Henshin!!! ~Pantsu ni Natte Kunkun Peropero~Change! ~Ano Ko ni Natte Kunkun Peropero~

Honestly there's quite a few visual novels out there still that could potentially be interesting. Unfortunately unless the visual novel market increases in quality instead of quantity we may eventually find ourselves suffering the quality drought (if we catch up) that I've been told has been hitting Japan. Perhaps looking to original english language or (other language) visual novels is not a bad thing perhaps they can help drive the market with new ideas. Regardless as western audiences we have plenty more stories to look forward. What other games are people hopeful to get licensed or translated? Feel free to discuss and post your own lists below. 

Yup, all popular and famous titles, just as I expected xD ... No, I don't think any of these will be picked up by MangaGamer (except Liar-soft VNs) ... Tokyo Babel didn't really shine in sales so I am not expecting anything major by Proppeler like Evolimit or Bullet Butlers. Harumade, Kururu will be localized from what I have heard but I don't know the details. Everything else, nope, I don't see it happening but it's always nice to dream I guess :D ...

I suggested mostly dark nukiges to MG, I believe they are easier to get then these high-tier VNs.

Edit: Sorry, I came to this thread after browsing MG survey thread so my mind was into it when I came here :D I see now that it's about 10 most wanted VNs xD

Edited by Infernoplex

My top ten... will be ones I want other people to have a chance to try, since I've already played them.  Understand, most of these are 'wishful thinking', since the difficulty levels are almost all pretty high.

1.  Vermilion Bind of Blood- In my opinion the best overall work done so far by Light's 'other' team.  It is probably the only VN with vampires where said creatures of the night aren't nerfed or just monsters.  The protagonist is a former samurai turned vampire with a grim outlook on life (such as it is), and a ruthlessness that seems built into his personality.

2.  Evolimit- One of my permanent top ten VNs... science fantasy at its best.

3.  Bradyon Veda- An impossibility, I would have said before the Dies Irae translation.

4.  Komorebi no Nostalgica- One of my all-time favorites.

5.  Semiramis no Tenbin

6.  The Akagoei Trilogy

7.  The Tiny dungeon series

8.  Silverio Vendetta

9.  Nanairo Reincarnation

10.  Konata Yori Kanata Made

1) Machi Chunsoft masterpiece from the Saturn era, full photographic VN

2) 428 ~Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de~ Machi spiritual sequel

3) Kamaitachi no Yoru - Rinne Saisei Remake of the classic mystery adventure that inspired Rk07 works.

4) Eve: The Fatal Attraction Second game of the EVE series (edit: I was convinced Kanno was the writer... eh...)

5) Aiyoku no Eustia A competent fantasy, for a change

6) Dunamis 15 One of the many spiritual and unofficials successors of the infinity series

7) ChäoS;Child Sequel of one of my favorite game ever.

8 )Soukou Akki Muramasa 

9) Kimi ga Ita Kisetsu I have to read the whole extraverse, dammit.

10) Gekkou no Carnevale (Carnevale al Chiaro di Luna [fixed by me])

I changed the last position because, yeah... school settings can eat shit, repeat, school settings can eat shit. (cit.)

Edited by WinterfuryZX

In no particular order:

1. Evolimit - I hear good things about this one.

2. Ikusa Megami Zero - This one is supposed to be one of the best jrpgs.

3. Baldr Force - Sky is already under translation but won't come out in 2017 but we can always hope for Force to come out this year.

4. Chaos;Child - Chaos;Head was really good. It had a few things going against but it is still one of the better vns I played and one of the best entries in the science adventure series. Chaos;Child looks incredible and I was told the story is rally good too.

5. Gensou no Idea - If we are getting Sorcery Jokers (hopefully this year) then why not Gensou no Idea.

6. Kajiri Kamui Kagura - The Dies Irae series just wouldn't be complete without it. It is one of the most unique looking visual novels I ever played with a great and interesting story and characters.

7. Soushuu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin (+ Bansenjin) - I want this game in English period. And while at it bring the sequel too.

8. Harumade (+ Natsukumo + Akikuru) - Harumade is scheduled for official English release. But what about the other games in the series? WHAT about the other games?

9. Machi (+ 428) - For years I've been the owner of these Chunsoft games but have not got to play them because they are in Japanese. I probably can play them right now but an English release of both will be nice.

10. Dies irae ~Interview with Kaziklu Bey~ (+ Paradise Lost) - Just like I said in the Kajiri Kamui Kagura entry, the Dies Irae series will not be complete without these two. Interview with Kaziklu Bey has a good chance to come out but Light probably wants to forget Paradise Lost every existed.

It was honestly a pain making this list because I could easily get into the 60's here.

Good luck waiting until 2022 to read any of those, english plebs :illya:.

I like to see Kitto, Sumiwataru Asairo Yori mo, translated to disseminate the worlds of the master Yuu around the world, but at the same time i have some fears in how good the translation have to be to not  kill the entire work.

...after hearing over and over again how incredible some VNs are because of their prose, I started to think that they're utter shit, but beutifully written.
If the story and characters can't hold up with less than perfect translation -> it wasn't a good story to begin with.
And in VNs: Story >>>>> Characters >>> Everything else (prose, graphics, music and so on).

1. The House In Fata Morgana: A Requiem For Innocence

God dammit Novectacle. You make a wonderful, nigh-flawless VN with perfect pacing, except one thing. Just one thing, and that is simply the fact that a particular arc feels like it could have been longer. So you go and make that arc into a 6-hour fandisk. God dammit. God fucking dammit.

2. New Danganronpa V3

High schoolers murdering each other? Check. Enclosed space? Check. Class trials and executions? Check. Already stellar style amped up tenfold? Check. My hype? Rising unchecked.

3. Higurashi Ch. 5- Meakashi (and the rest of Higurashi Kai)

The first four arcs of Higurashi make up a wonderful VN and I really want to see where it goes. Plus, SHIOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

4. The Nonary Games

My two favorite games before Zero Time Dilemma came along and ruined everything. On Vita. Remastered. Physical. 

FUCK.

That's about it for confirmed Western releases...

2 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

...after hearing over and over again how incredible some VNs are because of their prose, I started to think that they're utter shit, but beutifully written.
If the story and characters can't hold up with less than perfect translation -> it wasn't a good story to begin with.
And in VNs: Story >>>>> Characters >>> Everything else (prose, graphics, music and so on).

This is half true and half lie, though to some titles this affirmation could be accurate, in S novels because of how good they are in all aspects, a bad translation will make you lose the sense of how good the vn is in totality, look at Asairo for exemple, a translation need to catch all the nuances and meanings to you full understand the message and you need to know how to deal with the kanji puns. Besides some vns have some concepts hard to understand with the author writing, now imagine in a non perfect translation.

How will you rate a story if you don't know her per complete?

Hmm, I think I stick to titles I've already read in Japanese and want to get translated, or titles I'm interested in from companies I've at least read one other title I liked. Before I request more titles from the likes of Light, Third Eye, Purple Software, etc. I first want to know if they can deliver with the titles that are already in translation.

Anyway, in no particular order:

1.) Unionism Quartet (I could live without A3)

2.) Walkure Romanze (and More & More)

3.) Shin Koihime † Eiyuutan (and upcoming Kakumei)

4.) Ikusa Megami Verita (or any other Eushully title)

5.) Caucasus ~Nanatsuki no Nie~ (Still from the times when IG titles were good)

6.) Lovely & Cation (Whole series: 1, 2 and upcoming Nizuma)

7.) Tsuki ni Yorisou Otome no Sahou (Really want to know if Luna deserves winning the Getchu character award three years in a row)

8.) Komorebi no Nostalgica (Somehow this one interests me even more than Otoboku 2)

9.) Aiyoku no Eustia (One of the rare highly rated fantasy titles without gameplay)

10.) Kiriya Hakushakuke no Roku Shimai (Hottest vampire chicks ever...)

I could die happy if someone put out Haruka Kanata (that'll never happen) but since we're doing lists of 10 I'll just give the best of what I've played (save for Aster since the company appears to be dead):

2 - H2O -Footprints in the Sand-

3 - Fureraba ~Friend to Lover~

4 - Hello,good-bye

5 - Ayakashi (the one I think the majority would enjoy the most)

6 - Hajimete Doushi 2 ~Happy Bakappuru~ (because I can :sachi:)

7 - Kujiragami no Tearstilla

8 - Ren'ai Made Sentakushi Hitotsu

9 - Osananajimi to Juu Nen, Natsu

10 - Sakura no Mori † Dreamers (yes, I'm actually suggesting this one, if only for the common route)

Keep in mind that I still haven't played that many titles so I have to resort to putting things there that I consider just worthwhile (which is already pretty high praise in my book).

Edited by Funnerific

That reminds me that "50 vns you should read before you die". Is it still a thing? It would be nice for it to be updated.

As for this thread, I often look foward VNs that are already being translated [since you can easily browse them every saturday on Fuwa], so my expectations are limited to them. With that said, I hope we get Little Busters! this year, since I'm waiting for it to be officialy released. I'm also waiting for Flowers 2 to start the first one, and almost all non-nukige from Mangagamer seem really interesting, with me hoping to get Sona-Nyl and Fata Morgana fandisc soon.

There are many other projects I'm looking forward, but considering my current backlog and my plans for the near future, only those below are quite a read already. Hope 2017 doesn't kill my hopes :D

On 1/15/2017 at 6:21 PM, wyldstrykr said:

so my taste is crap then........

Not really, since the taste for each people would be different. Although the score at VNDB was quite mediocre though speaking objectively (I mean H20, at least looking from Bayesian score).

Okay, if I may selfish here perhaps I could wishing these VNs to be translated in English.

1. If Tayutama was translated in English, I think it'll be good for any Tayutama fan out there. The sequel at Steam was turned out in Chinese by the way, although perhaps it's already known.

2. Natsuyume Nagisa and Hatsuyuki Sakura could be good, if only to dispel the curse at Saga Planet (If you know what i mean).

3. Escalayer was quite nice if Mangagamer announced that, especially the reboot version. The gameplay was downgrade from Haruka though.

4. Sengoku Koihime would be very nice if Mangagamer really announce that later, and it could entering the Steam like I stated several times.

5. Ruitomo was could be very interesting as well, and beside the MC was quite cute as well if I may said honestly (And at least it's boy on girl romance, unlike Otomaid Cafe). And it's got something other than cross-dressing MC aspect of course.

6. As for Hello Lady, I would like to second it here. The reason here was I quite interested with the seiyuu cast out there, although it was quite good though if one interested in more high class setting VN.

7. Speaking about high class VN, Walkure Romanze could be good choice as well, especially with interesting in universe sport.

8. For last requests, while there's already Eushully request, I would like to specify to two games only which is Himegari (Slightly harder than Kamidori) and Madou Koukaku for proper translation. I'd already requested Soukoku at Mangagamer site by the way.

That's all for my requests here, and let's just hope it'll be granted albeit it's small chance though I knew.

Edited by littleshogun