Is the increased popularity of Dating Sims a threat to Visual Novels in the West?

Zalor

On 15.01.2017 at 0:01 AM, Eclipsed said:

Otome arent ruining story based VNs, fking Code Realize is golden, it's moeges that are.

I'll never understand all the complains about moeges. You guys are acting like if they didn't exist all those moege players will suddenly realize the greater taste and will spend all of their money on story based games or something. Currently moeges are keeping the eroge industry alive, gotta admit that.

I mean if an average moege like Wagamama High Spec can sell more than 20.000 copies while a good story based game like island is selling only 2000 (both of them got released at the same month btw) its not the moege's fault. It just means people who are complaining about the rarity of story based games actually dont care about them enough to buy, while moege customers actually throw money to games they like. 

Edited by Qrqe

Judging Island performance on pc sales only is not correct anyway, we should wait for a console port at the very lest. Because, you know, all ages games don't sell well on PC, even falcom eventually stopped bothering with it, and there's a reason why 5bp and chunsoft games are released on console.

1 hour ago, WinterfuryZX said:

Judging Island performance on pc sales only is not correct anyway, we should wait for a console port at the very lest. Because, you know, all ages games don't sell well on PC, even falcom eventually stopped bothering with it, and there's a reason why 5bp and chunsoft games are released on console.

That was just one example my friend, There are way more of them. Lets talk about Sakura no Uta then? I'm sure you already read or at least heard about it since everyone sees it as jesus of eroges. But how about its sales? It sold 10.000 copies less than Primal Hearts 2  (both of them were released at the same month) which was a better than average moege, also sold less than Chrono Clock, Pretty x Cation 2, Hanasaki work spring etc, even haru kiss sold more which was a really bad moege (all of them got released at 2015). 

And this is with all its popularity you know, I'm pretty sure it was the most popular title of last 3-5 years and only tsukihime remake level shit may pass that popularity level. In the end its still the same thing, I'll quote myself;

2 hours ago, Qrqe said:

It just means people who are complaining about the rarity of story based games actually dont care about them enough to buy, while moege customers actually throw money to games they like. 

Edited by Qrqe