MangaGamer 2017 Licensing Survey

Zenophilious

13 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I imagine that an official Sengoku Rance localization will be incoming, which is a bit of a bummer for those who have already played it to death and want something new from alicesoft. 

I have played it to death, but i want other people who haven't played it to play it and who knows i might even replay it.

Just now, TheUnknownMercenary said:

I have played it to death, but i want other people who haven't played it to play it and who knows i might even replay it.

Well, I'm not saying they shouldn't and I will probably buy it from them if my financial situation is stable at the time. It just means we probably will not see a "new" alicesoft game for around two more years. 

3 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Well, I'm not saying they shouldn't and I will probably buy it from them if my financial situation is stable at the time. It just means we probably will not see a "new" alicesoft game for around two more years. 

That's doubtful. We saw three Alicesoft games released by MG in 2016. Their games are successful enough for MG that they can probably justify translating two at a time. And I doubt it would take two years, either.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

That's doubtful. We saw three Alicesoft games released by MG in 2016. Their games are successful enough for MG that they can probably justify translating two at a time. And I doubt it would take two years, either.

Maybe, if they commission two teams to re/translate two titles at the same time maybe. 

I'm not sure if we can really call Rance 5d a full game, at least when compared to the massive sizes of Rance 6 and Beat Blades Haruka. I don't remember too clearly, but wasn't the fan translation project used for the official localization for Rance 6 in the works for a couple of years before Alicesoft's partnership with Mangagamer was announced? I know it was near completion when Mangagamer announced their partnership with Alicesoft and the release of Beat Blades Haruka took almost a year to translate and release. 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

27 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Maybe, if they commission two teams to re/translate two titles at the same time maybe. 

I'm not sure if we can really call Rance 5d a full game, at least when compared to the massive sizes of Rance 6 and Beat Blades Haruka. I don't remember too clearly, but wasn't the fan translation project used for the official localization for Rance 6 in the works for a couple of years before Alicesoft's partnership with Mangagamer was announced? I know it was near completion when Mangagamer announced their partnership with Alicesoft and the release of Beat Blades Haruka took almost a year to translate and release. 

And a translation for Quest, the follow-up to Sengoku, has been in the works by one of MG's translators for years, starting as a fan TL in 2014 I think. She kept at it even after being hired by MG. And I don't think it's crazy for them to have two teams translating AS stuff at once. Two of their translators are huge AS fans who have translated their stuff in the past, Arunaru and Bad End/Tulip Goddess Maria. 

Just now, Decay said:

And a translation for Quest, the follow-up to Sengoku, has been in the works by one of MG's translators for years, starting as a fan TL in 2014 I think. She kept at it even after being hired by MG. And I don't think it's crazy for them to have two teams translating AS stuff at once. Two of their translators are huge AS fans who have translated their stuff in the past, Arunaru and Bad End/Tulip Goddess Maria. 

Here's to Hoping, I think the last update we had on the fantranslation of Rance Quest was at 35% completion two years ago, so god knows at what stage it is in now and how long it will take to finish with official backing.

7 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Speaking about Rance VI, yeah it was started as fan translation before going official. For the history, it was at 88% translated before stalled because of Haruka translation back at June 2015. As for Rance 6, there's two project actually and the older one was already dead for a while. The newer project was Arunaru's work, and he did good job translating it so quickly before Alicesoft partnership with Mangagamer (He was started it after Kichikuou release at 2014 iirc, so it's only take almost a year to almost completed the translation).

Edited by littleshogun

Just now, littleshogun said:

Speaking about Rance VI, yeah it was started as fan translation before going official. For the history, it was at 88% translated before stalled because of Haruka translation back at June 2015. As for Rance 6, there's two project actually and the older one was already dead for a while. The newer project was Arunaru's work, and he did good job translatong it so quickly before Alicesoft partnership with Mangagamer (He was started it after Kichikuou release at 2014, so it's only take almost a year to almost completed the translation).

So I was correct in assuming it takes a year in general to completely translate a Alicesoft title? 

Rance Quest's translation was never stalled. Even after the MangaGamer licenses were announced, Bad End continued translating Quest and listing its progress on the blog, even though she stated that she would not release it as a fan patch. and It got very far before the blog was eventually taken offline completely. Sengoku and Quest both releasing this year is within the realm of possibility.

3 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

So I was correct in assuming it takes a year in general to completely translate a Alicesoft title? 

It varies title to title. Beat Blades Haruka took Arunaru around five months to translate. Rance 6 has a bit more text, but you also need to keep in mind that most of the translation was done on Arunaru's spare time as a fan translator, before he was hired by MangaGamer. He may have dedicated less time to it then he does to translation now. 

Edited by Decay

Man I really wanted some gore or just torture with darker atmosphere :/ Happy for some games on the list but still :S Sure it ain't the release list but my kind is totally left out lol all those people voting for gay stuff or stuff that is mostly comedic or has sunny vibe so to say, which I don't complain about cause everyone should get what they want as long as the games aren't altered. But still a dark-vibe title deserved at least one spot :( 

Fate could suffice tho it isn't that dark but still it fits, however I don't count it, as it's probably expensive to come out of jp. Altho I want a physical copy.

5 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I was wrong about a year there. The real fact was Arunaru managed to translated Rance VI almost completely around 4 months before he starting to work on Haruka at June (Arunaru was started Rance VI translation at February after finished Mamatoto translation).

As for the answer, it's depend on the length of the games although the translator factor was the most though if I may said. What I want to imply is that Arunaru was always doing quick translation for all of his projects, and I think it was good. Although maybe in the hand of other translator it'll be take longer time though if we talk about any of Alicesoft games ie more than one year.

4 hours ago, projectfear22 said:

Man I really wanted some gore or just torture with darker atmosphere :/ Happy for some games on the list but still :S Sure it ain't the release list but my kind is totally left out lol all those people voting for gay stuff or stuff that is mostly comedic or has sunny vibe so to say, which I don't complain about cause everyone should get what they want as long as the games aren't altered. But still a dark-vibe title deserved at least one spot :( 

Fate could suffice tho it isn't that dark but still it fits, however I don't count it, as it's probably expensive to come out of jp. Altho I want a physical copy.

White Album 2 is not mostly comedic or sunny. Maybe not in the way you're looking for, but from what I understand, it's plenty dark in its own way.

6 hours ago, projectfear22 said:

They're still working on Kuroinu.  Seems like it's going to take them awhile too, since if I recall what they're working on right now is just the first part or something?  I forget, it's been a while.

6 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

White Album 2 is not mostly comedic or sunny. Maybe not in the way you're looking for, but from what I understand, it's plenty dark in its own way.

I don't count tragic or sad kind of dark vibe if that's what it is (don't spoil it, nothing really, to me 1 pic is a spoiler so anything you write can affect my experience). Definitely like that on the list but nonetheless I still want at least 1 with said characteristics :/ Wish we could just organize people for the next survey and get everyone to use 1 of the 3 entries for the other person.

5 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

They're still working on Kuroinu.  Seems like it's going to take them awhile too, since if I recall what they're working on right now is just the first part or something?  I forget, it's been a while.

Says 1 2 3 on vndb altho they are maybe just working on 1 and plan the other 2 as well. Either way they can take as long as they want. I'm happy they're releasing it in english.

Whatever the case I really want some more Clockup games, Liquid games, Black Lilith games, Dieselmine games, Black Package Try games. More Waffle games are a + too

Bring me dem Torture, Gore, Horror, Suspense, Desperation, Madness, Violence titles

They should grab the upcoming clockup game, kinda sunny with the vibe but it looks epic and will definitely be profitable.

22 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

I would also like more darker stuff ... Stuff like Maggot Baits :D Gore Screaming Show and similiar, Iwaihime, etc. ...

My guess would be that MG will wait until Maggot Baits gets released, to see how the sales go before licensing another dark title like that. Hopefully it sells well. (I know I'm buying it the second it comes out, even though I already own the JP version :P )

More dark-themed titles such as those games would be fantastic indeed. The western market really doesn't have enough of them.

On 17.02.2017. at 8:39 PM, Infernoplex said:

I would also like more darker stuff ... Stuff like Maggot Baits :D Gore Screaming Show and similiar, Iwaihime, etc. ...

Right on. That's what I want. I'd be happy with 1 title but It's better to keep releasing a good amount of darker vibe games in 1 year so the market that hasn't, starts to dig into them as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/14/2017 at 1:01 AM, Chuee said:

Nan is probably a hint at Yaegashi Nan, the Senran Kagura artist who also did art for two Alicesoft games, Evenicle and Drapeko. 

I'd almost forgotten about this thread, and all that so mysterious hinting MangaGamer did a few months back.  I command you to wise fwom your gwave!

So this guess seems to have been right on the money.  Did we figure out what the other clues meant?

On 2/13/2017 at 4:21 PM, Silvz said:

" We have a lot to look forward to this year, from more entries in popular series, a title with a bit of a historical bent, something old, something new, something borrowed, and something BLue…? "

Maybe Dramatical Murder is the BLue one?

So the BL acquisition was clearly Hashihime of the Old Book Town.  More entries in popular series clearly refers to Sideboob Story (and maybe Imopara 2 and W Happiness, or maybe something as-yet unannounced).  "Something New" sounds like Space Live or Koropokkur?  Something old ... Damekoi?  It is a pretty old game, and the guy is much older than the average VN protag-kun.

That leaves 'something borrowed'.  Umm ... Marina's Cuckolding Report?  I'm really not too sure about this one either.

14 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

So the BL acquisition was clearly Hashihime of the Old Book Town.  More entries in popular series clearly refers to Sideboob Story (and maybe Imopara 2 and W Happiness, or maybe something as-yet unannounced).  "Something New" sounds like Space Live or Koropokkur?  Something old ... Damekoi?  It is a pretty old game, and the guy is much older than the average VN protag-kun.

That leaves 'something borrowed'.  Umm ... Marina's Cuckolding Report?  I'm really not too sure about this one either.

The something borrowed is most likely in reference to Koropokkur and the fact they are borrowing the artist from Key. Admittedly there is at least one additional game not revealed so it could also be referring to that.

17 hours ago, kyrt said:

The something borrowed is most likely in reference to Koropokkur and the fact they are borrowing the artist from Key. Admittedly there is at least one additional game not revealed so it could also be referring to that.

I don't think so though because right now Itaru was already leaving KEY back at September 2016, and right now she was work freelance so maybe it's more like that Mangagamer hired Itaru as freelance artist instead of borrowing her from KEY. Anyway, with three out of four secret projects revealed maybe Mangagamer will announced the first project at Otakon later, although I still wouldn't dismiss my speculation thought that it might be only a nukige (1st secret project). Of course it would be good though if the first secret project wouldn't turn out to be nukige, but if it does then so be it.

8 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

That would be cool indeed, since JAST managed to "borrow" Innocent Grey from MG xD It would be fair play :D

As for Nitroplus, I admit that it would be interesting although I wouldn't count to that though because right now JAST still had many unfinished contract release with Nitroplus, and perhaps they were okay with JAST way there. Oh, for reminder JAST was promised us to released Kikokugai, Django, Chaos Head, and Sumaga so yeah that's a lot for them.

PS - By the way, as for borrowing maybe it could be borrowed some finished fan translated projects (Or still ongoing one) or maybe it'll be more literal in regard of the VN itself had the story with borrowing theme.

Edited by littleshogun