MangaGamer 2017 Licensing Survey

Zenophilious

Funbag Fantasy, I believe, ranked in previous years under its original name, Kyonyuu Fantasy.  That might have been one of the reasons that they licensed it in the first place.  I'm glad to see it did well; it's always good to see anticipated demand (from a survey like this) translate into real success.  That doesn't always happen.  Sometimes they ask you to build it, and you do, and then they don't come.

Also, nobody seems to have commented on the very suspicious "typo": dominant (with interior italics in the original).  "nan" must be some kind of clue.  I don't see anything on the results list that would have the acronym NAN.  Any well known games with that abbreviation?

Why can't they just post little slivers of the covers of unannounced games?  That way we can find out what their plans are before they announce them.  I foresee no way this could backfire.

Digital remains the dominant format of choice, being the primary preference for over 70% of respondents.

The "nan" is italicized.  Can't imagine that was an accident.  There doesn't seem to be any other italicized text that isn't a title, though, so I have no idea what that might mean.

The best part for me is this:

Crazy as it might sound, genre-wise, romance remains the top choice followed by science fiction and fantasy—good thing we have quite a few games in those categories to announce this year!

Especially the science fiction part, but let's not get my hopes to high. The top 20 doesn't align much with my taste, but I guess that is not surprising.

2 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Why can't they just post little slivers of the covers of unannounced games?  That way we can find out what their plans are before they announce them.  I foresee no way this could backfire.

They did. It backfired spectacularly as people were able to spoil it within a day or two. After that, they never do it again.

Edited by VLOCKUP

Am I the only one slightly disappointed with current community line-up?

It's also a pity they haven't posted a whole list of requests into a single list, along with the number of votes; would be fun to skim over and check, whether someone else voted for the same works as I did.

Crazy as it might sound, genre-wise, romance remains the top choice followed by science fiction and fantasy—good thing we have quite a few games in those categories to announce this year!

As if all vn's would suddenly be devoid of romance and sex :makina:

VN's completely without any sort of romantic developement are a rarity. It may not be the primary focus within the story, but it's always there to a bigger or lesser extent.

Edited by Narcosis

I myself am just waiting for rance. Or the future sci-fi one from alice soft :D it made the lift.

I dono if DM gets made my fiance would buy it but pretty much anything else Nitro+chiral makes she would buy.

Oh and FSN for my vita come fucking on people get that shit done, i've been waiting almost a fucking decade for this...

Edited by TheUnknownMercenary

The list was mostly still the same from last year, so I decided to give up to speculating from the vote result there. But I think if I may speculate something, right now VN that the biggest chance to be localized would be Drapeko instead of Evenicle (I said this because one of BadEnd tweet show an image from Drapekoi). It's just my speculation though, and maybe I'll be totally wrong about that.

As for speculation based on historical and something four (It's related to Japanese tradition of marriage, and juat use Google Translate if you click the link) theme, interesting hint I supposed. I could tried to explain in regard of each hint one by one, but it'll be long so I decided to go straight to the speculation. I said that it could be Gin'iro Haruka because it had marriage ending there, although there's Da Capo 2 fandisc though if we talk about marriage (I knew those VNs didn't had some historical setting there though).

That's all for my speculation here, and I'll keep my eyes on conventions later started with Boston at March 31st.

It's nice that they've listed the top 20 titles this year and not just the top ten. Gives a bit more insight about what titles are requested in general. The number of otome and BL titles amongst it is surprising though. The impact of the growing female fanbase is certainly showing. Though I'm not sure if male votes are maybe just more widespread and female ones are just focused on a few popular titles. It would be interesting to know the total number of requested bishojo and yuri titles in comparison to BL and otome titles. I've no real insight into the female fan base, so I'm not sure how good most of them are informed about the Japanese market.

Still, besides the high amount of BL and otome titles, the list isn't really that surprising. Rance at the top again was kind of expected *sigh*, and most other titles were also highly requested the years before.

The so called 'hints' get more obscure from year to year however, though some wild speculation doesn't hurt. The MangaGamer crew will certainly be most amused reading the crazy guesses. :leecher:

Anyway, let's give it a try...

Digital remains the dominant format of choice, being the primary preference for over 70% of respondents.

I'm not really buying that 'nan' is standing for part of an artists name. I'd guess it's something more simple, probably part of a Japanese title they want to translate. The 'nan' could stand for the Japanese 何 for 'what' or just another word with 'nan' in it. Nangoku Domain would be a cool word play sind it also has the 'Dom' part but I honestly refuse to believe it. I'm therefore putting my bet on Nanairo Reincarnation since I consider it a real possibility.

We have a lot to look forward to this year, from more entries in popular series, a title with a bit of a historical bent, something old, something new, something borrowed, and something BLue…?

More entries in popular series is probably Rance Quest since I think it was already in 'fan translation' by Arunaru (??) some time ago and another Rance title is very likely anyway. Other popular series might be Sono Hanabira or Kyounyuu Fantasy although I wouldn't be surprised if all three series would get another successor, but I consider the most likley one a new Rance title. Top sales + no voice costs must be a dream for MG and AliceSoft.

A title with a bit of a historical bent almost screams for another Koihime title from BaseSon, but I remain suspicious because of the very high localizing costs. I only consider Shin Koihime † Eiyuutan a realistic possibility. Could also be Kikan Bakumatsu Ibun Last Cavalier if the Caramel Box connection was resurrected, but I somehow have my doubts about that. Something old and new is about as helpful as 'some title on VNDB' so it's not even worth guessing. Something borrowed might be a Nitroplus title like Muramasa since Jast is probably overstrained with them, and they owe Jast a revenge for Flowers anyway. ^_^

BLue is so obviously hinting to a BL title that I'm not really sure if it's even a troll and standing for something completely different. Still, a BL title is probably the most likely guess but my interest in those titles is almost not existant so I'm not really motivated to even investigate the possible titles.

Edited by ChaosRaven

17 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

A title with a bit of a historical bent almost screams for another Koihime title from BaseSon, but I remain suspicious because of the very high localizing costs. I only consider Shin Koihime † Eiyuutan a realistic possibility. Could also be Kikan Bakumatsu Ibun Last Cavalier if the Caramel Box connection was resurrected, but I somehow have my doubts about that. 

I dont think eiyuutan is a possibility since its the sequel (kind of) of Moeshouden, which is a sequel of Shin Koihime Musou. I mean the customers wouldnt even know half of the characters. Its probably shin koihime musou since Baseson is making a huge remake of that, and they'd want to get as many money as possible from the old, currently not profitable version of the game, Just like how they gave Koihime Musou after the Shin Koihime Musou series.

3 hours ago, Qrqe said:

I dont think eiyuutan is a possibility since its the sequel (kind of) of Moeshouden, which is a sequel of Shin Koihime Musou. I mean the customers wouldnt even know half of the characters. Its probably shin koihime musou since Baseson is making a huge remake of that, and they'd want to get as many money as possible from the old, currently not profitable version of the game, Just like how they gave Koihime Musou after the Shin Koihime Musou series.

According to the VNDB description Eiyuutan plays in an alternate timeline to SKM or Moeshouden, so it's probably not required to play them before Eiyuutan. Especially since it was released 5 years after Moeshouden. The main characters are also already known from Koihime Musou and most of the new ones didn't exist in SKM either. MangaGamer also released Rance 5 and 6 which was right in the middle of the series.

Still, considering that the SKM fan translation seems to have gotten some backing lately from another translation group, SKM seems indeed a valid possibility now.

Edited by ChaosRaven

4 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

According to the VNDB description Eiyuutan plays in an alternate timeline to SKM or Moeshouden, so it's probably not required to play them before Eiyuutan. Especially since it was released 5 years after Moeshouden. The main characters are also already known from Koihime Musou and most of the new ones didn't exist in SKM either. MangaGamer also released Rance 5 and 6 which was right in the middle of the series.

Still, considering that the SKM fan translation seems to have gotten some backing lately from another translation group, SKM seems indeed a valid possibility now.

Well Baseson made Eiyuutan as an advertisement for the next big remake so it doesn't fit to the any timelines actually, but moeshouden is the closest one since MC sometimes mention about the events which happened in the moeshouden. Of course they might have happened in the Eiyuutan's timeline as well and they didn't include all characters so its definitely not a certain moeshouden sequel though. 

But still playing it without reading SKM wouldn't make any sense since the reader wouldn't know anything about Touka, Tanpopo, Nene, Nanano, Miu, Nagi, Kikyou, Enya, Hinari, Rin, Sai, Mii, Maou, Ashe, Minmei, Fuu, Ruru, Sawa, Sheren etc., Or character relationships like Nene-Ren,  Hinari-Shuri etc.  There are literally more than they would know so it wouldn't be a pleasant read for sure, it'd be something like "Oh some random girl came and they started fucking, oh now she is gone and another one came instead of her, and they're fucking as well".