New Profile Fields [Accepting Suggestions]

Hey let's blow the dust off of this subforum for a bit shall we?

I noticed we haven't really updated the profile info since... Fuwa was made basically (other than that one time we added Steam to user profiles). I figured I'd go ahead and add some things users might want.

List of things added so far:

• Twitter has now been added under Contact Methods 
  • Anilist, ANN (Anime News Network) and Kitsu (formerly known as Hummingbird) are now options for those that don't have a MAL account
  • Transgender, Other and Attack Helicopter are now available gender options
  • Projects has now been added under Profile Information where you can specify whatever VN projects you work (or have worked) on.

This isn't for me alone though, so I decided to make a thread and ask for people's suggestions regarding what other fields might be useful to have in their profiles.

Important note:

These are small fields that will go either under your contact methods or your profile information section. They're meant to be short. Preferrably things like the username you have on the respective website or something along those lines. Because of this, things like Youtube channels have already been ruled out due to the URLs being too long. Keep that in mind when suggesting.

Furthermore, make sure that your suggestion isn't just for you but is actually something legitimately useful for the users on the forum.

Maybe a field in which you can see what languages someone speaks and at what kind of level? This might be useful for people who are trying to find Japanese speakers/readers for help? Considering that we're dealing with that quite often here.

That's all I could come up with for now. I hope it's something worthwhile.

25 minutes ago, Noumi Kudryavka said:

Maybe a field in which you can see what languages someone speaks and at what kind of level? This might be useful for people who are trying to find Japanese speakers/readers for help? Considering that we're dealing with that quite often here.

Same opinion here. I think that will be really help ful.

And you could also put a field to people working on projects (which project, role, status, etc) 

I'm on the fence about languages. It sounds more like the kind of thing you'd have in your about me rather than your profile info, but I'll consider it.

As for the projects, I actually think that's a really good idea. I've now added a text box where you can fill in the projects you work (or have worked) on. I'm not sure if just having a text box is enough or if I should let people use the full editor, but I'll leave it as just a textbox for now (the full editor can be really abused so).

Just now, Nosebleed said:

Eh, I guess why not. I forgot that site even allowed you to have an anime list lol.

Thanks. Yeah my bad for starting my list on there before realising it was a lesser place to put it. No way am I inputting 500 anime into another database now...

13 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

I'm on the fence about languages. It sounds more like the kind of thing you'd have in your about me rather than your profile info, but I'll consider it.

Well, I do have it in my "about me" section. But to be honest, I don't think everyone looks at that. I know I've only looked at a handful of people's.

I'll second the languages thing.

You also might want to consider something like "VN dev position"?

Something like "VN developer", "VN artist", "VN music composer" or something. Or maybe just give it to the devs cuz who cares about the rest of the team amiright.

Feels a little over the top, and people do sometimes put it in their "rank". But it would be helpful for those who want to ask questions directly to professionals or ask for help in creating their own VN.

This way devs (like say, InvertMouse) don't have to remind everyone that they're VN devs every time they want to post something relevant.

It would also be pretty cool B) 

On 7/1/2017 at 10:13 PM, Noumi Kudryavka said:

Excellent idea worthy of a genius girl like Kud. That way it's easier to find potential translators for fan translations based on what languages a given person knows. That way, the project manager could contact the potential translator instead of opening a thread and wait ages for responses. They could always refuse, but then you move to the next person, then to the next...

I don't know how popular Fuwa is for recruiting translators but eh, the idea is worth a shot.

And the same idea carries on for the people involved in VN creation, for those OELVN projects that sprout everywhere. ;)

Edited by Okarin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just like how most people likes to update their profile with their status, a simple status box could be pretty cool for users to show more about theirselves besides of their social media links and other blog posts which are just long articles.

And same example like this, a video player connected to youtube could be a fun feature as well, maybe it plays automatically when you visit someone elses page. But that might be more complex than a simple box since there will be encrypted codes but the idea is simple as it is. 

By the way I'm not sure if any of this two or a similiar type of request got suggested before so if it did and got denied then you can ignore it, it takes a lot time to build or add a simple feature so I can understand the circumstances for the admin's reasons. 

Also thank you for asking about our opinions and trying to make it more user friendly here, it's a great activity between staff and members.

Edited by cykaki

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

(i know that you are speaking about the profile but dont see any thread to say this so here i go)

As some people already said, if you want more people around here, maybe you can promote the forum. (dont know if you already did something about this so i just will say)

Twitter, facebook, reddit, ask for help from some content creater like youtubers, big twitter account etc...

The forum style is really cool so you dont need to change nothing of this. 

In my pov, i only entered here because i wrote in google about one VN that i was playing and google send me to one theme in this forum, i dont even knew that some forum like this exist, so why not more promotion?

Edited by Cardinal