Winter 2017 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

On 2/12/2017 at 4:47 PM, Seth said:

So, am I the only one who got a huge boner from the latest Gintama episode? 

From Pakuyasa in women's underwear? You sick fuck. 

Anyone else kinda feel weird about the latest episode of Gabriel DropOut? Maybe it's just because I'm from the states, but I thought the Satania gun sketch would end with her getting arrested and the bald teacher being assigned as her probation officer. 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

12 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

In case anyone is confused: Youjo Senki is throwing us a recapitulation episode, and the 7th episode was pushed to next week.

Not confused, just disappointed. Sure their next episode obviously wasn't ready in time, but rehash episodes are nigh on useless filler. They may as well have not broadcast anything and put up a video of a nice boat. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a rehash episode even when it's 32 episodes into a 50 episode series. They're a complete waste of space.

On 18/02/2017 at 9:22 AM, ittaku said:

Not confused, just disappointed. Sure their next episode obviously wasn't ready in time, but rehash episodes are nigh on useless filler. They may as well have not broadcast anything and put up a video of a nice boat. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a rehash episode even when it's 32 episodes into a 50 episode series. They're a complete waste of space.

I think the important television people and sponsors would get really mad if they did that as opposed to just mad.
Recap episode it is.

18 hours ago, ittaku said:

Gabriel Drop Out annoys me because when I watch it I think it's meh and then suddenly I find myself laughing out loud at something in it, like Vigne counting sheep this week. How dare I be inconsistent with my taste.

That's just like me and South Park

I'm only watching Maid Dragon, LWA and Demi-chan at this point. I've warmed up to the latter a bit, I like the honest/mature-ish writing enough to want to keep watching, even though I still find the presentation mediocre

Edited by john 'mr. customer' smith

It almost flew under the radar for me but I started watching The Dragon Dentist which was also airing this season. This was one very different fantasy/supernatural show and really engaging. Shame the whole thing was over in 2 double length episodes. There's plenty more intrigue there to build a whole universe from. There were also plot devices that looked like they were going to be explored but left alone. Maybe more is planned...

Listened to the Youjo Senki ED yesterday, decided to watch. Pretty 5/7

I'm fairly certain the series is trying to mislead people though, the Empire definitely isn't a poor innocent victim like they make it out to be, being X is no god, and they're going to jump straight into world war 2 rather than 1.

3 hours ago, Flutterz said:

Listened to the Youjo Senki ED yesterday, decided to watch. Pretty 5/7

Hide contents

I'm fairly certain the series is trying to mislead people though, the Empire definitely isn't a poor innocent victim like they make it out to be, being X is no god, and they're going to jump straight into world war 2 rather than 1.

I really hope they don't "demonize" a certain side, having no clear good/bad side is one of the major "story" elements central to a WWIesque plot.

Not sure how they would "skip" WWI and head toward WWII, the conditions brought on by the Treaty of Versailles was central to the rise of Fascism in Germany. I personally hope they will completely diverge from our history in latter episodes. 

1 hour ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Not sure how they would "skip" WWI and head toward WWII, the conditions brought on by the Treaty of Versailles was central to the rise of Fascism in Germany. 

That is true, and I'm definitely not the person to go to for historical information, but I feel like (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but the two world wars were fairly different kinds of conflicts. WWI had a bunch of countries being drawn in due to treaties, while WWII was more ideologically driven, so if something other than the Treaty of Versailles brings about the rise of fascism in the Empire (like an OP loli that likes rules a little too much), their first world war would be more similar to our second.

But again, history was always one of my worst subjects, so take what I say about it with a bathtub of :salt::P

22 minutes ago, Flutterz said:

That is true, and I'm definitely not the person to go to for historical information, but I feel like (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but the two world wars were fairly different kinds of conflicts. WWI had a bunch of countries being drawn in due to treaties, while WWII was more ideologically driven, so if something other than the Treaty of Versailles brings about the rise of fascism in the Empire (like an OP loli that likes rules a little too much), their first world war would be more similar to our second.

But again, history was always one of my worst subjects, so take what I say about it with a bathtub of :salt::P

I'm not a huge historian either, but from my understanding that is pretty much true. Although, I don't think she will be able to get into a position of "total" power, 

Spoiler

she made the mistake of making herself too useful to the war council. They are going to want to keep her in the fields and block any promotion that would take her out of the front lines and behind a desk. 

Although, she is an OP loli so I can't rule out anything. 

5 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I'm not a huge historian either, but from my understanding that is pretty much true. Although, I don't think she will be able to get into a position of "total" power, 

Hide contents

she made the mistake of making herself too useful to the war council. They are going to want to keep her in the fields and block any promotion that would take her out of the front lines and behind a desk. 

Although, she is an OP loli so I can't rule out anything. 

She's definitely made herself way too obviously dangerous competition for the higher ranking officers, but that was just an example of how it could happen, and who knows, she might pull it off anyway cause OP loli is OP :Teeku: 

Personally, Konosuba S2 is severely disappointing in comparison to Season 1. It's become a bit too mean spirited, and the jokes and characters are beginning to get tired and predictable. Akiba's Trip The Animation on the other hand is A+ stuff though. It's so idiotic, and is so on point with it's parodies that it's become the comedy of the season for me.

1 hour ago, pik3rob said:

Akiba's Trip The Animation on the other hand is A+ stuff though. It's so idiotic, and is so on point with it's parodies that it's become the comedy of the season for me.

I wonder who was in charge of the art direction, it's soo bizarre that an anime that is based on a good handful of loosely connected games goes out of its' way to look artistically completely different from all of them. I have no idea why they would do it, I enjoyed Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed well enough to watch an anime loosely connected to it, but this completely flew under my radar because of how radically different it looked.

Which in the end didn't really matter, the humor and characters didn't quite satisfy my particular tastes.

Edited by Soulless Watcher