Winter 2017 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

4 hours ago, ittaku said:

This is a great season. While it may not have any 10/10 masterpieces, there are half a dozen shows I'm really enjoying and looking forward to each week. That's one of the best strike rates I can ever remember.

Demichan, Youjo senki, Kobayashi-san, Konosuba2, Little witch academia, and half a dozen others that I'm enjoying, a handful of cute tv shorts, and not to forget a new reference for shit anime in Hand Shakers.

No 10/10? Someone forgot Gintama :nico:

3 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Dude, you can't make an anime worse than Big order, i can't believe that shit. 

Big Order is a travesty, an insult to storytelling, but Hand Shakers really sunk lower by failing to even be watchable. The imagery is legitimately nausea inducing.

7 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Big Order is a travesty, an insult to storytelling, but Hand Shakers really sunk lower by failing to even be watchable. The imagery is legitimately nausea inducing.

I think it's even seizure inducing in susceptible individuals.

EDIT: And Demi-chan still makes me grin stupidly for the entire episode it's so sweet. Definitely my favourite this season.

Edited by ittaku

I'm having the weirdest shit happen in this season. The shows I find the most entertaining and, well, good, seem to be of low interest to most youtubers/websites, while the ones I'm uninterested or directly dislike, others praise highly.

Youjo Senki is misunderstood, Demi-chan is ignored as bland, Kobayashi is a mildly entertaining 6/10, Gintama and Kono Suba don't exist.

Scum's wish, which while I appreciate the aparent mature theme and kinda nsfw approach, I feel is nevertheless a bit too nihilistic/emo-ish (especially after reading in this thread that it gets seriously dumb later on), is being called one of the best and most mature anime of the past few years (of course, Kotaku has already made a thread about how it's the best anime ever). Masamune's Revenge, which I find simply dumb and with a badly crafted comedy (apart from the weird fat-shaming), is lauded as top comedy of the season and a great watch.

I'm honestly confused this season :tears:

2 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

I'm having the weirdest shit happen in this season. The shows I find the most entertaining and, well, good, seem to be of low interest to most youtubers/websites, while the ones I'm uninterested or directly dislike, others praise highly.

Youjo Senki is misunderstood, Demi-chan is ignored as bland, Kobayashi is a mildly entertaining 6/10, Gintama and Kono Suba don't exist.

Scum's wish, which while I appreciate the aparent mature theme and kinda nsfw approach, I feel is nevertheless a bit too nihilistic/emo-ish (especially after reading in this thread that it gets seriously dumb later on), is being called one of the best and most mature anime of the past few years (of course, Kotaku has already made a thread about how it's the best anime ever). Masamune's Revenge, which I find simply dumb and with a badly crafted comedy (apart from the weird fat-shaming), is lauded as top comedy of the season and a great watch.

It means the rift between us and the normies is growing bigger. Don't feel down.

8 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

God is this depressing, I've had a policy of trying to ignore others opinions when it comes to anime since I find myself often at odds with the "casual fan" so I had not idea things were this "bad". I just binged watched the available episodes of Youjo Senki and was shocked by how fucking awesome it was, to hear that many disagree is a bit heart breaking. 

I can understand why Scum's wish and Masamune's Revenge are getting attention though, it's akin to focused tested shit that has resulted in the bland triple A gaming market and the spamming of remakes and reboots seen in Hollywood. Scum's wish follows the same line of logic that Erased and Another follows, in that simply having fucked up shit happen equals a mature and decent plot. It's the fucking white privileged kid cutting himself for attention. Masamune's Revenge follows the standard harem plot that we have seen a million times before, at least by going from the manga the obvious couple's relationship actually progresses and isn't kept in stasis for 100+ chapters. 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

8 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Fear not, my friend, for this may well be the first time I can recall where WE all agree what is good this season. Thus we can gloat about how superior our opinions are and how the rest just don't get it. I can't believe how much I agree with everything you're saying, especially on scum's wish. I keep waiting for a review to come along and say "what a steaming pile of emo shit" it is since reviewers keep saying things like "I keep hoping for a happier or better outcome in the future", not knowing they're going to be shafted by endless cyclical progressively worse relationship fuck ups just because.

I find that time is the real test and growing and sustained popularity over time is a better marker of global-subjective-appeal or some shit and often correlates more with what I end up liking. Somehow people seem to easily get caught up in hype and forget to ask themselves what they're thinking - often I find the shows that affects the most are the ones that start out strongly and slide to garbage. Somewhere in the slide people forget to reassess whether they're still enjoying it or not and are stuck to their first impression. There's a busload of stuff that falls into this category of late - erased where it was intrigue that was awesome to begin with and then plot completion was lame, and koutetsujou which started out amazing and then ended up with laughable villains on motorcycles or some shit that got moronic.

10 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Why do you care? why do you care about your fav show getting few lights from normies?

Just enjoy your shit, that's all. 

On 2/5/2017 at 5:54 AM, Jun Inoue said:

The only shows I'm interested in this season are: KonoSuba, Youjo Senki, Fuka, Gabriel DropOut, And Iron Blooded Orphans. 

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, Kurisu-Chan said:

Why do you care? why do you care about your fav show getting few lights from normies?

Just enjoy your shit, that's all. 

It's simply curious. I usually have some things I agree with, and others not so much (or at all). But this is a season of absolute opposites, which is kinda interesting.

5 hours ago, Kodlak said:

The only shows I'm interested in this season are: KonoSuba, Youjo Senki, Fuka, Gabriel DropOut, And Iron Blooded Orphans. 

Watching Gabriel Dropout but not Kobayashi? o:

6 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

It's simply curious. I usually have some things I agree with, and others not so much (or at all). But this is a season of absolute opposites, which is kinda interesting.

Yeah, Kobayashi didn't catch my eye as much as Gabriel Dropout.

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

Maybe you should stop caring about Youtubers and their way of formating your own opinion. 

13 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Maybe you should stop caring about Youtubers and their way of formating your own opinion. 

I'm not sure what are you talking about. My opinions are affected by everyone and everything, as I revisit and review them constantly. The moment I stop caring about what other people say and think is the moment my opinion has 0 worth to anyone but me.

3 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

I'm not sure what are you talking about. My opinions are affected by everyone and everything, as I revisit and review them constantly. The moment I stop caring about what other people say and think is the moment my opinion has 0 worth to anyone but me.

But what if...your opinion is not your opinion, but a borrowed opinion, forged by people who basically makes you think in a certain direction?

2 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

But what if...your opinion is not your opinion, but a borrowed opinion, forged by people who basically makes you think in a certain direction?

That's literally what it means to form one's opinion. If you form it entirely based on what you think, never challenging or revisiting it, odds are your opinion is flawed. The only way my opinion could be borrowed was if I just took whatever I was told by others as the absolute truth, no questions asked, which obviously isn't the case since my message was about how my opinion on the season has been clashing a lot against most people's I've listened to.

The whole "listen only to yourself, ignore whoever challenges your opinion" is what has given us so many people allergic to discussions and to being told they might not be right about everything...

Just now, Jun Inoue said:

That's literally what it means to form one's opinion. If you form it entirely based on what you think, never challenging or revisiting it, odds are your opinion is flawed. The only way my opinion could be borrowed was if I just took whatever I was told by others as the absolute truth, no questions asked, which obviously isn't the case since my message was about how my opinion on the season has been clashing a lot against most people's I've listened to.

The whole "listen only to yourself, ignore whoever challenges your opinion" is what has given us so many people allergic to discussions and to being told they might not be right about everything...

That's exactly what i said not to do, but meh.

What i said, if your opinion is SOLELY formed on what others say, it means you, on the first part, have no critical thinking, and can't even think for yourself.

2 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

That's exactly what i said not to do, but meh.

What i said, if your opinion is SOLELY formed on what others say, it means you, on the first part, have no critical thinking, and can't even think for yourself.

You said I should start ignoring other people and them affecting my opinion, which is what I've said is a mistake as outside influences are a good think.

Forming them solely on what others say, as I (and you) just mentioned, is indeed another mistake.

Just now, Jun Inoue said:

You said I should start ignoring other people and them affecting my opinion, which is what I've said is a mistake as outside influences are a good think.

Forming them solely on what others say, as I (and you) just mentioned, is indeed another mistake.

Not ignoring other people...meh...i'm really bad with english, it's way easier for me to speak in french than in english.

Well, if i had to take one example, i would say : be more like Voltaire, always questioning EVERYTHING, even your own reasoning, than blindly following ONLY ONE person.

3 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Not ignoring other people...meh...i'm really bad with english, it's way easier for me to speak in french than in english.

Well, if i had to take one example, i would say : be more like Voltaire, always questioning EVERYTHING, even your own reasoning, than blindly following ONLY ONE person.

Sounds wise enough. I'm probably biased towards my father, who I've always felt has a pretty good grasp on life.