Winter 2017 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

53 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Adolf Hitler was a WW I Soldier.

It's still WW 1(she's still using a Mondragon rifle), just the train of thoughts from the main protag is interesting.

But if i remember it is also 1923 by which the war had already ended. (in real life anyway)

5 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Adolf Hitler was a WW I Soldier.

It's still WW 1(she's still using a Mondragon rifle), just the train of thoughts from the main protag is interesting.

Ah I see. Still had not watched the 4th episode, so I see which moment you meant. I was also curious cuz I watched a podcast of some youtubers commenting this winter season, and the general consensus was "Shoujo Senki is another glorification show about nazis" and I was kinda confused. Like... did they just confuse WW I and II? And not every military and empire in the world is the Nazi Germany, people...

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

Ah I see. Still had not watched the 4th episode, so I see which moment you meant. I was also curious cuz I watched a podcast of some youtubers commenting this winter season, and the general consensus was "Shoujo Senki is another glorification show about nazis" and I was kinda confused. Like... did they just confuse WW I and II? And not every military and empire in the world is the Nazi Germany, people...

Nah, that's an oversimplification of it, that Germany is clearely inspired by WW 1 german empire, they didn't confuse between both.

The protag, on the other hand, is clearely inspired by WW2. 

9 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Nah, that's an oversimplification of it, that Germany is clearely inspired by WW 1 german empire, they didn't confuse between both.

The protag, on the other hand, is clearely inspired by WW2. 

No no, the Empire is clearly Germany from WW I. But the guys didn't even remotely mention or compare it. Their line of thought was: anime with military and Germany = nazis and WW II.

Everyone, not just the MC (who I'd argue also has nothing to do with nazis, there's a bit of a difference between being a sociopath and downright a nazi, haven't seen anything point out in that direction).

1 minute ago, Jun Inoue said:

No no, the Empire is clearly Germany from WW I. But the guys didn't even remotely mention or compare it. Their line of thought was: anime with military and Germany = nazis and WW II.

Everyone, not just the MC (who I'd argue also has nothing to do with nazis, there's a bit of a difference between being a sociopath and downright a nazi, haven't seen anything point out in that direction).

She referenced Adolf Hitler thou. 

But i'm gonna give her 2 points for the protag : She knows Signaling theory (Aka part of my major in telecoms) and she likes Hannibal Barca, one of my favourite historical figure. 

3 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

She referenced Adolf Hitler thou. 

But i'm gonna give her 2 points for the protag : She knows Signaling theory (Aka part of my major in telecoms) and she likes Hannibal Barca, one of my favourite historical figure. 

Well, I mean. "She" is a grown-ass adult from modern Japan. Everyone knows Hitler :P

Just now, Jun Inoue said:

Well, I mean. "She" is a grown-ass adult from modern Japan. Everyone knows Hitler :P

Not only that, she (she is biologically a she, no matter what kind of buddhistic reincarnation, i'm still calling her a she) is a true believer of the Survival of the fittest, and many people have compared the salaryman system in Japan to a Faschist regime, i mean, i understand what the authour is trying to do, and he does it quite well so far. 

2 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Not only that, she (she is biologically a she, no matter what kind of buddhistic reincarnation, i'm still calling her a she) is a true believer of the Survival of the fittest, and many people have compared the salaryman system in Japan to a Faschist regime, i mean, i understand what the authour is trying to do, and he does it quite well so far. 

She already was a monster apart from a salaryman anyway, though, so it's not surprising to see her adapt so easily to the militaristic ideals of, well, the military.

Anyway, I was nevertheless shocked at a group of 3-4 people actually managing to confuse WW I and II just like that. And commenting how it was another show glorifying and fetishizing the nazi Germany, even though everything points out at the Germany of WW I, and nothing at the nazi Germany. What's more, the podcast was before episode 4 was out (and even before episode 3, I think), so they didn't even know about the random referencing to Hitler.

2 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

So, basically, you're telling me that, a podcast...MIGHT BE MISTAKEN in their analysis of something?

OMG, i'm shocked!!!! :holo: 

No, I'm saying that a podcast of not really random youtubers who tend to do anime and some of them videogame analysis just confused something that a teenager should already know by hand. There's no excuse for getting WW I and II mixed up, and calling anything with a uniform a nazi :tears:

48 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

No, I'm saying that a podcast of not really random youtubers who tend to do anime and some of them videogame analysis just confused something that a teenager should already know by hand. There's no excuse for getting WW I and II mixed up, and calling anything with a uniform a nazi :tears:

And i mean that i'm not even surprised by that, that's all. :holo:

Also, would you kindly give me likes and subscribe to me? 

I just binge watching all of the available episodes of 3-Gatsu No Lion and at first I was pleasantly surprised, however I started noticing a major flaw in the overall plot of the show.

Spoiler

The Kawamoto family is completely pointless to the story of Rei Kiriyama and I would go as far to say that they determent the overall plot. Sure there are one or two decent character building moments that involve one of the sisters, but I would argue that none of them had to be that character and would even be better filled by one of the other characters in the show. It really does feel like they were only put there to try and liven up the overall tone, like the bizarre comedy breaks in Akama ga Kill!, or to add extra padding in between shogi matches. 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

So

Slowly and slowly, Youjo Senki is becoming a 9/10 anime for me.

Interesting evolution for the main protag, also the whole Fullmetal Jacket reference was cool, and i like her battle spirit, she is basically- a mix between Erwin Rommel, Hans Guderian and Adolf Hitler, which is quite cool actually. 

On 31/01/2017 at 7:54 AM, Mr Poltroon said:

Watched all available episodes of Youjo Senki.

I knew, from the premise, settings and opinions, that I'd like it. What I want someone to tell me is why: Why do I, who loves all that is nice and fluffy, like a show about an extremely egotistical person and gruesome war?

2 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

So

Slowly and slowly, Youjo Senki is becoming a 9/10 anime for me.

Interesting evolution for the main protag, also the whole Fullmetal Jacket reference was cool, and i like her battle spirit, she is basically- a mix between Erwin Rommel, Hans Guderian and Adolf Hitler, which is quite cool actually. 

Agreed. I don't understand it either Mr Poltroon, I love it and it just keeps getting better. I don't even know why I want Tanya, who's so evil, to triumph as well. Whatever it is, the writing and execution is excellent.

This is a great season. While it may not have any 10/10 masterpieces, there are half a dozen shows I'm really enjoying and looking forward to each week. That's one of the best strike rates I can ever remember.

Demichan, Youjo senki, Kobayashi-san, Konosuba2, Little witch academia, and half a dozen others that I'm enjoying, a handful of cute tv shorts, and not to forget a new reference for shit anime in Hand Shakers.

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

This is a great season. While it may not have any 10/10 masterpieces, there are half a dozen shows I'm really enjoying and looking forward to each week. That's one of the best strike rates I can ever remember.

Demichan, Youjo senki, Kobayashi-san, Konosuba2, Little witch academia, and half a dozen others that I'm enjoying, a handful of cute tv shorts, and not to forget a new reference for shit anime in Hand Shakers.

Wait, it's worse than Big Order? 

Just now, Kurisu-Chan said:

Wait, it's worse than Big Order? 

Ho baby are you in for a treat :D Nothing on earth has ever been as bad as "peeping life" but they didn't even try in that, whereas Hand Shakers has this amazing try-hard aspect which fails on so many levels, words can't even...

1 minute ago, ittaku said:

Ho baby are you in for a treat :D Nothing on earth has ever been as bad as "peeping life" but they didn't even try in that, whereas Hand Shakers has this amazing try-hard aspect which fails on so many levels, words can't even...

Dude, you can't make an anime worse than Big order, i can't believe that shit.