Winter 2017 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

59 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

It's finally time. And, as expected, KonoSuba 2 is great.

They took away the best part:

Spoiler

“What nonsense are you saying? If Kazuma is sentenced to jail or death, you won’t be able to buy crab for me. Don’t worry, the one most familiar with being an attorney is me. Kazuma likes to play video games right? Haven’t you heard about people in Japan playing ‘Based Attorney’ and ‘Manganronpa’? I played both of them before.”

And

I was out of ideas and speechless, at this moment.
“-- Hold it!”

eN30sYtbfIc.jpg

This confident voice came unexpectedly from Aqua.
To think this girl would hold a trump card at this juncture…!
“Aqua, tell them! Show them the decisive evidence that proves my innocence!”
“Huh? There’s no way I have something like that, I just wanted to try saying that.”
“Remove that person from court!”

I so wanted it animated, and even hoped for a remix like in No Game No Life.

38 minutes ago, Riku said:

They took away the best part:

Hide contents

“What nonsense are you saying? If Kazuma is sentenced to jail or death, you won’t be able to buy crab for me. Don’t worry, the one most familiar with being an attorney is me. Kazuma likes to play video games right? Haven’t you heard about people in Japan playing ‘Based Attorney’ and ‘Manganronpa’? I played both of them before.”

And

I was out of ideas and speechless, at this moment.
“-- Hold it!”

eN30sYtbfIc.jpg

This confident voice came unexpectedly from Aqua.
To think this girl would hold a trump card at this juncture…!
“Aqua, tell them! Show them the decisive evidence that proves my innocence!”
“Huh? There’s no way I have something like that, I just wanted to try saying that.”
“Remove that person from court!”

I so wanted it animated, and even hoped for a remix like in No Game No Life.

Indeed. Since the very beginning of the trial, I thought "they HAVE TO make an Ace Attorney reference." A pity.

@NosebleedPretty good indeed. Another surprise, together with Interviews with Monster Girls.

f7cc331615c480e9920eb16bc890ec10.gif

Edited by Jun Inoue

2 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

And it's only just starting, there's so much more to see and many dragon girls to discover. The dragon yuri paradise is only just beginning.

I'm a big ally of justice, and hence anti-yuri, so I'll actually be happier if it stays as an ongoing joke between the 2 MCs. It'll really "ruin" it for me if more characters join which happen to also be super devoted but to the maid dragon, I seriously cannot stand that sort of developments with cat fighting and incessant outbreaks of jealousy.

Please tell me that's not what is coming with the several side characters :rubycry:

3 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Loved the OP by the way. Can't wait to get the full version.

Wtf was up with all those spinning people?

Well, I knew I was going to enjoy it, but that was absolutely everything I ever wanted out of an anime. I really appreciate that Kyoani seems to have put a lot more effort into simplistic, expressive art&animation, rather than their usual fuckton of digital aftereffects, which I'm not the biggest fan of. (or maybe they're just hiding them very well, I dunno)

Loved everything else as well, especially the jokes/timing. I haven't been this entertained in a long time.

My only pet peeve was that Tohru's wings in dragon form were far too small for her (apparent) mass. Wasn't a fan of some of the other flying animation, too. I guess the animators just didn't have time to research that kind of stuff. Common problem in anime production.

9 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Well, I knew I was going to enjoy it, but that was absolutely everything I ever wanted out of an anime. I really appreciate that Kyoani seems to have put a lot more effort into simplistic, expressive art&animation, rather than their usual fuckton of digital aftereffects, which I'm not the biggest fan of. (or maybe they're just hiding them very well, I dunno)

Loved everything else as well, especially the jokes/timing. I haven't been this entertained in a long time.

My only pet peeve was that Tohru's wings in dragon form were far too small for her (apparent) mass. Wasn't a fan of some of the other flying animation, too. I guess the animators just didn't have time to research that kind of stuff. Common problem in anime production.

My pet peeve was the "boing" sound every time Tohru's breasts move. KyoAni, stop while you're ahead.

Edited by Jun Inoue

6 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

I'm a big ally of justice, and hence anti-yuri, so I'll actually be happier if it stays as an ongoing joke between the 2 MCs. It'll really "ruin" it for me if more characters join which happen to also be super devoted but to the maid dragon, I seriously cannot stand that sort of developments with cat fighting and incessant outbreaks of jealousy.

Please tell me that's not what is coming with the several side characters :rubycry:

I wouldn't say there's incessant outbreaks of jealousy, but Tooru and Kobayashi are pretty much a couple so you should expect a lot of humor involving the two of them being gay as hell (mostly just Tooru hitting on Kobayashi though). Kanna and another girl also have a thing going on, and that other girl is kind of a tsundere, so maybe expect some jealousy with that.

7 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

It was to show off KyoAni's budget.

Just now, Jun Inoue said:

My pet peeve was the "boing" sound every time Tohru's breasts move. KyoAni, stop while you're ahead.

Completely agree. I don't think the manga had this at all either (no SFX on her boobs).

2 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

I wouldn't say there's incessant outbreaks of jealousy, but Tooru and Kobayashi are pretty much a couple so you should expect a lot of humor involving the two of them being gay as hell (mostly just Tooru hitting on Kobayashi though). Kanna and another girl also have a thing going on, and that other girl is kind of a tsundere, so maybe expect some jealousy with that.

Well, if each have their own thing it won't bother me, probably. What I dread is smth like... do you know that anime where they desecrate the Lovecraftian lore by making its creatures moe girls? And the redhead one was basically nonstop annoying outbreaks of "I love the main girl so much I wanna rape her." That kind of stuff is so annoying, and completely pulls me out of the supposed "chill, relax, and enjoyable goofy comedy" atmosphere that these shows supposedly go for.

7 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Well, if each have their own thing it won't bother me, probably. What I dread is smth like... do you know that anime where they desecrate the Lovecraftian lore by making its creatures moe girls? And the redhead one was basically nonstop annoying outbreaks of "I love the main girl so much I wanna rape her." That kind of stuff is so annoying, and completely pulls me out of the supposed "chill, relax, and enjoyable goofy comedy" atmosphere that these shows supposedly go for.

Oh no you won't get that much yuri. Tooru might be over the top, but she also cares for Kobayashi a lot and they have a nicer chemestry going on compared to the romantic polygon in Nyaruko.

I guess just keep watching and you'll see if you like the atmosphere or not.

Garbriel Dropout – Funny and relaxing show. Mischievous goings–on from demon is lol. The stand out for me.

Dragon Maid – Seems like a fun time. 
KonoSuba – The goat.
Seiren and Masamune – Inkling they will fill my “trash but still like them” anime for this season.

On 09/01/2017 at 10:59 PM, ittaku said:

Guys, make sure to check out Interviews with Monster Girls while you're still deciding on what to watch...

Can you explain the appeal to me? I've watched the 1st episode and it just seems like pretty much every other A1 show; cool concept, painfully boring and incoherent execution. I'm probably just really biased because of Digibro, but I can see what he means when he uses the phrase 'assembly-line feel'

Please prove me wrong. I hate hating things.

16 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Can you explain the appeal to me? I've watched the 1st episode and it just seems like pretty much every other A1 show; cool concept, painfully boring and incoherent execution. I'm probably just really biased because of Digibro, but I can see what he means when he uses the phrase 'assembly-line feel'

This is precisely the kind of shows that make me think "see, Digibro is wrong once in a while." I see it like this:

The premise is standard, but well-grounded. Demi-humans exist and are rare, but accepted. There's no agency for exchange, or especial events. They are people living their lives. The MC is nice and genuine. He's not a guy who's suddenly surrounded by a harem. He's a grown adult, and a teacher, with a scientific interest on demi-humans. And by scientific I mean scientific, not "crazed professor wants to dissect monsters." With this, and a well-done execution on the first episode, we have a chill anime with charismatic characters. The MC is and ACTS (key point) as an adult, and the vampire is not just randomly coquettish or perverted, she's simply energetic and boisterous, brings a smile to the face. We've only watched one episode, and we already have an interesting premise, charming characters and relationships being built (like with the Dullahan).

Really, this is the complete opposite of the assembly-line anime that A-1 tends to throw at us. It feels genuine and nice.

24 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

It's a slice of life featuring a cast of girls who each have their own quirks and it follows a biology teacher as he discovers more about them and how they live. There's no grand plot or anything, it's just an easygoing, relaxing show. The appeal of it stems from the girls themselves, you're meant to enjoy watching them have fun and stuff, just like most slice of life shows of this nature.

It also has that biological side to it, where the guy goes around figuring out how each of the girls "work" on a biological level. But he does so through interviews and innocent experiments, which is pretty cute. I personally think it's kind of fun to look at monster girls under this light. The show doesn't exploit them, and it feels nice to see.

If you don't like this type of series, then it probably wasn't meant for you to begin with.

44 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

No, this is not something where explaining the appeal will help you or prove you "wrong". The reason is it should either work for you or it doesn't, and clearly doesn't. I simply adored the interplay between the teacher and the monster girls but expecting you to like it because I explain what I liked about it to you is futile. I hate lots of shows other people like too. At least you have checked it out now.

4 minutes ago, ittaku said:

No, this is not something where explaining the appeal will help you or prove you "wrong". The reason is it should either work for you or it doesn't, and clearly doesn't. I simply adored the interplay between the teacher and the monster girls but expecting you to like it because I explain what I liked about it to you is futile. I hate lots of shows other people like too. At least you have checked it out now.

That's fair enough, but opinions can and should always be fluid. I bet a good analysis could make you hate this show, or make you love it even more. I'm not claiming you should think anything, but an opinion shouldn't be an excuse to ignore other viewpoints either (though that's pretty hypocritical of me).

I think this segment sums up my opinion pretty well; the individual elements of the execution (by which I mostly mean presentation) are often good, but almost never make any sense together

1 hour ago, Nosebleed said:

It's a slice of life featuring a cast of girls who each have their own quirks and it follows a biology teacher as he discovers more about them and how they live. There's no grand plot or anything, it's just an easygoing, relaxing show. The appeal of it stems from the girls themselves, you're meant to enjoy watching them have fun and stuff, just like most slice of life shows of this nature.

It also has that biological side to it, where the guy goes around figuring out how each of the girls "work" on a biological level. But he does so through interviews and innocent experiments, which is pretty cute. I personally think it's kind of fun to look at monster girls under this light. The show doesn't exploit them, and it feels nice to see.

If you don't like this type of series, then it probably wasn't meant for you to begin with.

Everything you just said sounds great to me. I just don't think it does any of it well or interestingly.

I respect you guys' opinions though, and you've convinced me not to drop it just yet. I was perhaps not paying much attention to the characterization, and more to the presentation and to reinforcing my preconceived view of A1, courtesy of Digi.

Got plenty of shows I'ma going to be watching.

Konosuba/Gintama/BlueExorcist - Big fan of previous seasons so of course I'ma going to be watching these.

Kobayashi'sDragonMaid/InterviewwithMonsterGirls - Because MonsterGirls are moe and I am slice of life Archfag. (and I have been keeping up with the manga)

Gabriel DropOut - Funnily enough I dropped the manga for this one because I found it a wee bit too boring, but the animation has added some life and punched up allot of the jokes for me.

Little Witch Academia - Looks to be as great as the original two ovas.

Urara Meirochou - That "apologizing" gag really sold it for me.

The show that I will be shitting on despite never having read the source material or watching a single episode will be Kuzu no Honkai, it has the Your Lie in April problem in which the entire plot can be guessed  from simply reading the description. The only way it could be surprising if an X factor was thrown in, like the quiet kid shoots up the school or the female lead gets hit with a bus:D.

Edited by Soulless Watcher

3 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

The show that I will be shitting on despite never having read the source material or watching a single episode will be Kuzu no Honkai, it has the Your Lie in April problem in which the entire plot can be guessed  from simply reading the description. The only way it could be surprising if an X factor was thrown in, like the quiet kid shoots up the school or the female lead gets hit with a bus:D.

I think you're talking about Fuuka here. :ph34r:

Kuzu no Honkai is pretty shit though, I can agree. Which is a shame considering how beautiful they made it look. 

Hum, the second episode of Shoujo Senki was actually pretty good, again. It's nice that they are actually showing the "process" of him being an ass, and getting even more twisted in his new life. Also, the extra scene cracked me up. Poor guy.

Edited by Jun Inoue

21 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Hum, the second episode of Shoujo Senki was actually pretty good, again. It's nice that they are actually showing the "process" of him being an ass, and getting even more twisted in his new life. Also, the extra scene cracked me up. Poor guy.

Technically it's poor girl, she's not a transgender at all, it's Hindu reincarnation, therefore you have to adress her as she. :holo:

Oh, my opinion so far.

First 2 episodes (0 and 1) of Chaos;Child didn't suck, it was even good, wow, that's actually something i didn't expect, if it continue like that, i'll give it 8/10.

Youjo Senki is amazing, definitely my fav anime of the season, if this continue, i'll give it 9/10

13 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

I think you're talking about Fuuka here. :ph34r:

Kuzu no Honkai is pretty shit though, I can agree. Which is a shame considering how beautiful they made it look. 

The first episode of Kuzu No Honkai was really good, but than again I am not like old as shit. I feel it is supposed to appeal to a younger audience. 

I am surprised by Blue Exorcists thought, it has a first time director and it seems like it is going to go pretty well, it also has a huge budget. 

4 hours ago, xGreyHound said:

The first episode of Kuzu No Honkai was really good, but than again I am not like old as shit. I feel it is supposed to appeal to a younger audience.  

I feel like it has the same general plot as Toradora, but Toradora campy and more humorous so I could tolerate its' predictable nature. Kuzu No Honkai seems like it is going for a more straight approach and I don't want to watch a pair of emo twats licking each other's wounds, until they suffer some weird form of Stockholm Syndrome and mistake it for love.

Edited by Soulless Watcher

18 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I feel like it has the exact same plot as Toradora, but Toradora campy and more humorous so I could tolerate its' predictable nature. Kuzu No Honkai seems like it is going for a more straight approach and I don't want to watch a pair of emo twats liking each other's wounds, until they suffer some weird form of Stockholm Syndrome and mistake it for love.

Well yeah obviously, I mean even with Toradora you can tell how it is going to end just from the synopsis. It is a romance story, they're pretty predictable. The first episode doesn't really go as what you would normally expect though. But I can definitely see where you're coming from. 

Spoiler

It has pretty art though that is all I need. 

Edited by xGreyHound

On 1/12/2017 at 4:06 PM, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Dude I respect Digibro, but I respect people who can think for themselves more. I do agree with him that most A-1 shows suck hairy donkey cock, *cough SAO * cough Ass war, but they have a few good ones. i.e anything that isn't a light novel adaptation. I watched IWMG and saw that A-1 was the studio afterward, I sat there for a second and jsut thought "holy shit...".

On 1/11/2017 at 10:55 PM, Jun Inoue said:

It certainly is an experience. I've had friends get no further than a couple minutes before going "nope" (one particular friend didn't get past the first 15 seconds or so).

After reading this, I was like ''na too much exaggeration going on'' and that judging stuff by couple of minutes isn't logical. 
Then I actually gave it a watch myself ....... god the hell did I watch.

It's animation is like a half-assed attempt to copy Project K's art-style with less than a tenth of it's budget.