Winter 2017 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

4 minutes ago, Kiriririri said:

Fuuka is anime of the year

Reveal hidden contents

f04b3ac694a2320d469a4cc36a75228f.png

If Japan was used as the standard for what makes a good series, we'd be going through some rough times.

Honestly I just want the see the amount of salt Fuuka generates in the anime community. I fully believe it will be worse than the Kuma Miko disaster, and I can't wait to witness it.

41 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

If Japan was used as the standard for what makes a good series, we'd be going through some rough times.

Honestly I just want the see the amount of salt Fuuka generates in the anime community. I fully believe it will be worse than the Kuma Miko disaster, and I can't wait to witness it.

Fuuka, huh?
Since I read Suzuka it might be interesting to watch this. MAL claims they're somehow related.

I do have 0 expectations for Fuuka though I don't remember why.

39 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Fuuka, huh?
Since I read Suzuka it might be interesting to watch this. MAL claims they're somehow related.

I do have 0 expectations for Fuuka though I don't remember why.

Fuuka is Suzuka's daughter.

3 hours ago, Shikomizue said:

I can tell you right now, Masamune-kun no Revenge has some quality put into it. Definitely watch if you want a quality show with some quality characters with a quality plot.

PS. I'm being forced to watch this, please send halp.

My condolences. I read the manga, distanced myself from pc, then introspected on the time I wasted.

I have expectations for KonoSuba2 and Harry Potter. Curious about Youjo Senki.

Wish I was a Gintama fan so that I'd have the new season to get hyped about but alas. 100+ episodes  500+ chapters to catch up = need to time leap to my teenage days where I had the patience or was new to anime and marathoning without any effort.

7 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

Fuuka is anime of the year

Reveal hidden contents

f04b3ac694a2320d469a4cc36a75228f.png

Fuuka is going to be the most depressing anime of the year.

Watched the first episode to get an idea of what it will be like, and I actually didn't find the execution interesting nor original already which is fortuitous since I can't stand depressing mind fucks. I've already dropped it since I have close to zero tolerance for sad thematic material.

Real spoilers:

Spoiler

It's going to be a cross between White Album2 and My Lie in April. Both of those destroyed me.

Just now, Kurisu-Chan said:

Youjo senki is what Izetta would have been if it was writen by a good writer.

Also quite weird, the french soldiers using Mondragons rifle.

Yeah it's really weird I expected Youjo senki to be trash because of its premise yet I really enjoyed the first episode. The action looks great.

Just now, ittaku said:

Yeah it's really weird I expected Youjo senki to be trash because of its premise yet I really enjoyed the first episode. The action looks great.

I think the fact they are treating war with gravity and magic like an actual war element, as well as the protag being a total terror for both her camp and her enemies.

1 minute ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

I think the fact they are treating war with gravity and magic like an actual war element, as well as the protag being a total terror for both her camp and her enemies.

You think the fact that... is what? That sentence was almost Japanese in missing the punchline.

Just now, Nosebleed said:

Youjo Senki pains me so much to look at. The character designs are so damn awful it's not even funny. I don't like making comparisons with the source material, but really could they not have found a better way to carry over this artstyle into the anime without making their faces all fucked up?

It's part of the charm, please.

Tanya looks even more threatening.

Just now, ittaku said:

You think the fact that... is what? That sentence was almost Japanese in missing the punchline.

I wanted to mean that it gives more sense to the story. 

1 hour ago, Nosebleed said:

Youjo Senki pains me so much to look at. The character designs are so damn awful it's not even funny. I don't like making comparisons with the source material, but really could they not have found a better way to carry over this artstyle into the anime without making their faces all fucked up?

Did you mean... "ducked up"? :makina:

I've personally picked up a few sure-kill anime like Gintama and Kono Suba, and then tons of "maybe." For now, Youjo Senki has been somewhat enjoyable, although I'm wary due to the show going out of its way to say "hey hey, look, the MC is soooooooooo evil! She's even doing a psycho grin!" Then there's Urara Meirochou, which can be summed up with "this is why you need to be careful with fanservice on slice of life shows."

And the surprise for the season, for now, goes to Demi-chan wa Kataritai, for having already convinced me with just 1 episode that it has interesting characters, and a really chill and relaxed atmosphere. Gives me New Game! vibes.

12 hours ago, ittaku said:

Fuuka is going to be the most depressing anime of the year.

I've read the manga and know what it is. I absolutely love it even though every single person seems to disagree with me.

Edited by Kiriririri

49 minutes ago, Palas said:

I'll be watching Little Witch Academia and Konosuba 2.

I watched the first episode of Youjo Senki and... it's silly as all hell? I mean, you know. It generated controversy, people were like "omg a NAZI LOLI!! They're fetishizing nazism, what has the world come to? What if it gets popular and children forget how nazism was problematic because of this anime??" so I watched it and it's just uh, it's silly. It's the Hatred fiasco all over again. Remember Hatred, that game that had people worried it would cause World War 3 or spread terrorism, and then it actually came out it was a silly game in which the password to the controls of a nuclear reactor was something like "dark666"?

It's just that I was expecting her to be nazistically evil and she's just... generically evil. If she was an actual nazi, it would've justified the controversy, but it'd have the potential to discuss a lot of things and get some nuanced character development in the middle of critical circumstances. Since she's just evil from the bottom of her heart, it became stupid pretty soon.

Not that I won't watch the rest of it.

Considering that it's set in the image of WW I, not II, I'd say those people have watched too many history channel documentaries and believe that anything related to Germany and the past implies Nazism yes or yes. The show fetishizes militarism in general, that's it. It revels in its violence and that's pretty much all it has done for now. "Look how violent this is" and "look how evil the loli MC is."

On 1/8/2017 at 5:36 AM, Palas said:

I'll be watching Little Witch Academia and Konosuba 2.

I watched the first episode of Youjo Senki and... it's silly as all hell? I mean, you know. It generated controversy, people were like "omg a NAZI LOLI!! They're fetishizing nazism, what has the world come to? What if it gets popular and children forget how nazism was problematic because of this anime??" so I watched it and it's just uh, it's silly. It's the Hatred fiasco all over again. Remember Hatred, that game that had people worried it would cause World War 3 or spread terrorism, and then it actually came out it was a silly game in which the password to the controls of a nuclear reactor was something like "dark666"?

It's just that I was expecting her to be nazistically evil and she's just... generically evil. If she was an actual nazi, it would've justified the controversy, but it'd have the potential to discuss a lot of things and get some nuanced character development in the middle of critical circumstances. Since she's just evil from the bottom of her heart, it became stupid pretty soon.

Not that I won't watch the rest of it.

Do a bit of history, the German Reich (Or german Empire in order to avoid confusion with the 3rd reich) was not nazi nor evil during that time.

On 1/8/2017 at 6:26 AM, Jun Inoue said:

Considering that it's set in the image of WW I, not II, I'd say those people have watched too many history channel documentaries and believe that anything related to Germany and the past implies Nazism yes or yes. The show fetishizes militarism in general, that's it. It revels in its violence and that's pretty much all it has done for now. "Look how violent this is" and "look how evil the loli MC is."

But isn't that like absolutely every single anime? the first episode is here to hook you down, not to throw you with existential crisis, man, i remember you litterally said the same thing about Re...r...You know what.

Jeez, guys, you're just too fast to judge stuff, give it at least the 3 episodes rule. 

6 minutes ago, Palas said:

lol what do I need to know, it's a Japanese show about an European event in which they change names and flags. If not for the trenches it might as well be WWII pictured there - or no war in particular since there's magic and flying people.

I'm curious as to why you're defending it so staunchly, though. It's just there. I'll watch it to the end because it looks like a fun show, but there's no such thing as a "3 episode rule". It's one hour and a half in my life, there's other anime I could spend it on.

Because i'm not defending it at all, i'm simply giving it a chance, the same chance i would give to any other anime that exist on this planet, i'm just like that. 

24 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

But isn't that like absolutely every single anime? the first episode is here to hook you down, not to throw you with existential crisis, man, i remember you litterally said the same thing about Re...r...You know what.

Jeez, guys, you're just too fast to judge stuff, give it at least the 3 episodes rule. 

Hm? Didn't say it was bad. Pretty sure yesterday I wrote saying "pretty solid first episode, I recommend it." That doesn't change that the show is quite straightforward with its approach of "violence" and "super evil loli MC."