MangaGamer year 2016 review is up!

ChaosRaven

MangaGamer finally posted their year 2016 review with several top ten lists. In short:

First Party Titles (MangaGamer.com, excluding bundle sales)

1.) Beat Blades Haruka

2.) Funbag Fantasy

3.) Imouto Paradise!

4.) Rance VI & 5D

5.) Princess Evangile

6.) euphoria

7.) EROGE! Sex and Games Make Sexy Games

8.) Kindred Spirits on the Roof

9.) Ultimate☆Boob Wars!!

10.) NO, THANK YOU!!!

Pretty much all their older big nukiges made it back to the top ten, with ImoPara leading the way. Only the new nukiges Beat Blades Haruka and Funbag Fatasy could fend off their dominance. Rance going strong as expected and Princess Evangile also made a return. No story titles in sight though... . Not really shocked about that anymore - it's every year the same. Although Eden got a top three ranking if I rememer right. I'm not really sure if Steam sales are included or not though since Steam sales got their own list. :unsure:

Third Party Titles (MangaGamer.com)

1.) Negligee – Adult Deluxe

2.) No One But You – Adult Version

3.) Orc Castle

4.) HuniePop

5.) Club Life – Adult Version

6.) The Menagerie

7.) Detective Masochist – The Case of the Femdom Torture –

8.) Beach Bounce – Adult Version

9.) The Stargazers – Adult Version

10.) Busty Maid: Creampie Heaven!

Not much to say here...

Steam Releases

1.) Kindred Spirits on the Roof

2.) OZMAFIA!!

3.) Umineko Question Arcs

4.) eden*

5.) Higurashi Hou Bundle

6.) Tokyo Babel

7.) Higurashi Ch. 3 Tatarigoroshi

8.) Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning

9.) The House in Fata Morgana

10.) Higurashi Ch. 1 Onikakushi

Several titles like Eden celebrating a comeback and Kindred Spirits and Ozmafia leading the pack. Would be interesting to know how big Steam sales are in comparison to sales on their own site.

Edited by ChaosRaven

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

I'm not really sure if Steam sales are included or not though since Steam sales got their own list. :unsure:

Steam sales are not included in that.

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

Would be interesting to know how big Steam sales are in comparison to sales on their own site.

In past years, they said that steam sales outdid on-site sales by a significant margin. They haven't talked about that in a while however, so it's hard to say what the status of that is now. It's reasonably safe to guess that Steam sales still outweigh on-site sales. Which means that it's likely that Kindred Spirits was MG's top selling title overall for the year.

Just now, RedK said:

So Himawari and Myth  were flops after all.

It's hard to say with Himawari since it was released late in the year. Although yeah, Conjueror seemed down on its performance.

Edited by Decay

I'd already thinking to start the thread about this, but no problem to ChaosRaven there (Thanks). Anyway, looking from Steam sales I think Steam user was apparently quite interested with yuri and uncensored thing with Yurirei at first number of sales in Steam. Other than Steam sales, guess nukige was still goldmine for Mangagamer though looking from top 10 was mostly nukige (Or high sexual content VN). Although I may said that, I'd still find that Haruka was quite good if only for the gameplay alone and Funbag was according from some review was surprisingly good (I'd not read that yet by the way). That's all I could say for now.

21 minutes ago, Decay said:

Steam sales are not included in that.

That's unfortunate since it now makes it very hard to compare sales of Steam titles with non-Steam titles.

23 minutes ago, Decay said:

In past years, they said that steam sales outdid on-site sales by a significant margin. They haven't talked about that in a while however, so it's hard to say what the status of that is now. It's reasonably safe to guess that Steam sales still outweigh on-site sales. Which means that it's likely that Kindred Spirits was MG's top selling title overall for the year.

It wouldn't bet on that. Steam reports about 2016 were indicating that despite an enormous increase in released titles on Steam in 2016, the overall revenue almost stayed the same. Which means that the individual titles sold less on average. For example, apparently Tokyo Babel didn't sell well, but it got 5th place in the Steam rankings. Does that mean that Steam sales were overall bad, or was ist just 'pre-emptive whining' directly after TB release since Steam titles usually have long tails? What makes it even more difficult is that those titles have split releases on MG's own site and Steam. So it's just a given that they stand no chance in MG's home rankings against the adult-only non-Steam titles.

I wish they would just make a full list with all titles regardless if Steam or not. It's just hard to compare those titles the way it is now. :sleep:

Yeah, I think most MG games, especially story titles, tend to sell better over time.
I'm pretty sure Himawari's initial sales were significantly better than TB's too, so I think it's a bit too early to judge its performance, but it definitely wasn't a flop.

I didn't expect to see TB above Fata Morgana though. Its sales really seem to have picked up over time. :D

Edited by Conjueror

16 minutes ago, Dexmael said:

Are Beat blades haruka and funbag fantasy regarded as nukiges?

Having played them they seemed a bit more elaborate as the average 4 hour title I would normally consider a nukige

Yes, both are nukige. A nukige doesn't have to be bad or shallow. They can still have detailed stories and interesting plot.

In the end, I didn't much care for Beat Blades Haruka, but Funbag Fantasy was a pretty good VN, IMO. I'm not surprised or even unhappy about seeing a game that's got both a strong nukige appeal and a decently-told VN in one box sitting at #2 for their first-party sales. ImoPara is pretty much garbage, though, so seeing it at #3, three years after release, isn't inspiring a lot of confidence... But nukige sell well. What can you do. As the long as the story titles sell well enough that they can keep putting out good ones, I'll be content with that.

I wonder when they're going to license more Moonstone games.  Both of the ones they have made the top ten list in 2016, despite not actually being released in 2016.  Evangile is actually the only non-nukige title to achieve that feat on MangaGamer's main storefront.

I know they already have W Happiness and Imopara 2 (which ought to do quite well when it finally gets released), but those are both nearing release.

Since monster girl heroines seem to be hot right now, maybe Magical Marriage Lunatics?  Or maybe they'll go for something similar to Princess Evangile, with Ojou-sama to Himitsu no Otome?

1 hour ago, Nandemonai said:

Evangile is actually the only non-nukige title to achieve that feat on MangaGamer's main storefront.

Yurirei (Kindred Spirits, 8 place)  is not exactly a nukige either. 

PS/ ah, wait, by "feat" you probably mean getting into top ten several years in a row. Okay then. 

Edited by novurdim

7 hours ago, novurdim said:

PS/ ah, wait, by "feat" you probably mean getting into top ten several years in a row. Okay then. 

Yes.  I should clarify that I'm only talking about this year.  Koihime managed it a few years ago.  After the voice patch was releases, its sales went way up.  For like a year after that, it would regularly be in the top 5 on MangaGamer's site.  In their year end reviews, Koihime was #7 in 2012, #9 in 2013.  After that it fell off, but it made the hard copy bestseller list at #7 in 2014.  (Subsequent years did not actually have a seperate hardcopy bestseller list.)

Another interesting thing is that Imouto Paradise actually moved up.  It made #3 this year (well, last year); the year before (2015) it was only #4.

15 hours ago, Dexmael said:

Having played them they seemed a bit more elaborate as the average 4 hour title I would normally consider a nukige

Didn't play BBH, but it's really obvious that FBF is a nukige. The presence of the story doesn't matter as much as whether the story or the sex is more important. Obviously, for FBF, the answer is the sex. Thus it is a nukige.

4 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Another interesting thing is that Imouto Paradise actually moved up.  It made #3 this year (well, last year); the year before (2015) it was only #4.

Not sure about that. Last year they didn't have a separate top ten list for the Steam titles yet, and I don't think Eden would have gotten second place without its Steam sales. Yurirei was most likely their bestseller because of its glorious free "first sex game on Steam" marketing campaign on every game site. And Ozmafia is also known to have sold extremely well. So in a real top ten list it would have been probably 5th I guess.

7 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Not sure about that. Last year they didn't have a separate top ten list for the Steam titles yet, and I don't think Eden would have gotten second place without its Steam sales

Last year they specifically pointed out that their top ten doesn't count steam sales. Those simply weren't accounted for at all so in reality Eden was first with quite a gap when you actually add steam numbers. 

Edited by novurdim

17 minutes ago, novurdim said:

Last year they specifically pointed out that their top ten doesn't count steam sales. Those simply weren't accounted for at all so in reality Eden was first with quite a gap when you actually add steam numbers. 

Oops, I must have missed that. :notlikemiya: Wouldn't have expected that Eden got 2nd place without Steam.