Hey I got 4000 posts again beacause of GM post recount shenanigans AMA (or not)

Kaguya

23 minutes ago, Roulette said:

let's try that again.

What do you have to say about your unattuned bad tastes in general?

Something something the way media is perceived is highly subjective and I don't believe in "bad tastes"

Just now, Roulette said:

So in a way you're declaring that you don't judge people on their tastes because .

got my eyes on you.

I do, and I actually use that judgement in part to try to get someone's mindset going into stories, who I think I'll get along with and what I think that person will enjoy, but ultimately I don't believe any preference type to be superior to others and I'm as fine with moege-only fans who think nekopara is the best game to be created to people who carefully analyse prose and writing in their stories and prefer something more akin to "pure" literature than genre fiction.

19 minutes ago, Nashetania said:

Do you happen to have bigger version of this emoticon? :notlikemiya:

Also, is Trump a good or bad thing?

Unfortunately, I do not.

I wonder. My biggest issue with him is his stance on climate change. Other than that, I'm pretty ok with the man. Well, we'll see how it goes. 

17 minutes ago, KaoDoroSesu said:

It's been a while Kaguya.

What have you been playing recently?

What have you been reading?

Are you enjoying summer?

Nice to see you!

Playing Flowers right now because I'm in the mood of seeing cute girls not kissing.

Moyan. Pretty interesting stuff on chinese history and abortion, from what I hear. Haven't started it yet, but I'm literally just about to.

Yes, it's lovely.

2 hours ago, Kaguya said:

I do, and I actually use that judgement in part to try to get someone's mindset going into stories, who I think I'll get along with and what I think that person will enjoy, but ultimately I don't believe any preference type to be superior to others and I'm as fine with moege-only fans who think nekopara is the best game to be created to people who carefully analyse prose and writing in their stories and prefer something more akin to "pure" literature than genre fiction.

You judge people for their tastes to better understand and communicate with them effectively and not in a derogatory way, got it. And you lack believe in bad tastes.

I have to ask, what made you decide not to believe in bad tastes because I can think of a perfectly sane situation where you judge people for everyone's benefit at no one's expense and at the same time think they have things they like that you consider bad as a 'product'(not morally bad). Also, if no bad tastes then how to rank a medium on a scale subjectively? Does guilty pleasures exist? Things that you don't like will be considered average instead of bad and average product be considered good and so on? 

It would appear to me that not believing in bad tastes causes too many inconveniences like how one would have to block out many things that challenges this type of thought process and not think deeply about it essentially dulling the capacity to criticize as a consumer and to contribute productively to the medium in question in the form of feedbacks and such.

1 minute ago, Roulette said:

You judge people for their tastes to better understand and communicate with them effectively and not in a derogatory way, got it. And you lack believe in bad tastes.

I have to ask, what made you decide not to believe in bad tastes because I can think of a perfectly sane situation where you judge people for everyone's benefit at no one's expense and at the same time think they have things they like that you consider bad as a 'product'(not morally bad). Also, if no bad tastes then how to rank a medium on a scale subjectively? Does guilty pleasures exist? Things that you don't like will be considered average instead of bad and average product be considered good and so on? 

It would appear to me that not believing in bad tastes causes too many inconveniences like how one would have to block out many things that challenges this type of thought process and not think deeply about it essentially dulling the capacity to criticize as a consumer and to contribute productively to the medium in question in the form of feedbacks and such.

This is actually really hard to answer well and it got me thinking about some pretty fascinating aspects of how I view things, so I think they're pretty great questions! 

I'll probably stumble a bit with this one so please do bear with me.

So, sometimes it's really hard to capture what is the appeal of a show or VN to someone. There are a myriad different things that can bring someone to really enjoy a story. I think it's harder to do with anime because there are a lot more aspects to it from the handling of scene transitions to balancing out a story in 22 minute tidbits and general direction as well as, of course, animation that is not present in a VN the vast majority of the time, but I digress. 

I don't know if you're aware of it or not, but I am a VN reviewer for the fuwa team and we do have a 5 star rating system for the games we review, and so I do actually have to give out numerical ratings to some games and say if I thought they were bad or good.

And I do think bad products can exist, and certainly do. Anyone who's spent enough time talking about oddities with me has heard me talk about how much I dislike a specific VN quite a few times. And it's very important to have these good and bad labels because it makes branding the excess amount of VNs available for one to read a lot easier, and we should absolutely call things bad. 

The reason I don't consider someone's taste to be bad when they enjoy something I find bad is related to why people consume media and how they value different aspect of a work. People's experiences, even when viewing or reading the same show will vastly vary from one another and in reviewing I try to capture my own subjective thoughts on something, as well as to explain what my experience with it was to people who have similar tastes to me.

For a personal example, The last game I played, Enigma, spoke to me very deeply. It reminded me of experiences I had in my life, and it told a message I really got and agreed with, and it had characters that  were very charming to me and I could totally empathize with, as well as a protagonist that had my favorite type of dynamic with those characters, being in a teaching position to them. I gave that game a 5/5 because I felt celebrating that and speaking out for other people who enjoy simillar things was worth more than trying to be as proper as I could for a wide audience. 

In the same vein, I can't understand the charm of plenty of works that are very beloved by a large group of people, like Clannad, and that's probably because of our different priorities and wants of a work. And understanding those wants is important for recommending new works that person may enjoy, and it's what I try to do, as I ultimately find it counterproductive to label someone's preferences as bad when they differ from mine, since by categorizing their standards for a good show as bad and mine as good, my recommendations get less precise and overall pointless as we're evaluating things with  completely different priorities while refusing to recognize one another. 

2 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Have you played our lord and savior, The House In Fata Morgana?

Lord and savior, huh.

I did play it. It was kinda fun. The highlights of the game to me were the whole bestia chapter and the sountrack was pretty good.