Corpse Party [3DS or PC]

Silvz

First of all, I tried looking for old threads where I recall to have seen this information before. However, the search bar is too hard to handle to me [I'm dumb], so I opted to create a thread.

Well, now with Steam winter sale, Corpse Party PC is around 6 dollars [20 reais, Brazil], so I thought of buying it. However, there is the 3DS version, which from what I gathered, is the PSP version improved - which was already an improved version of the PC version.

My question is: Should I buy the PC version for a cheaper price or should I buy the 3DS version? Which is better? I understood that both have the same story overall, so it is not my intention to read the same thing twice just "for fun", so I will only buy PC or 3DS.

Thank you guys in advance :)

edit: found some old threads about it, but still would like your opinion to help me decide

Edited by Silvz

I think it's depend on you whether if you interested with famous seiyuu or not. If yes, then you could just pick 3DS version. But if you thinking the cheaper one, I would just suggest that you bought PC version immediately. Besides, from what I could gather PC version was had additional content which PSP version didn't had iirc. Hope this could be help.

The PC version is the original version of the game (i.e the doujin version). It has the original art and the original voice actors, as well as an extra chapter that wasn't included in subsequent versions.
The 3DS version is essentially a port of the PSP version (of course slightly altered to fit the 3DS environment, but the content is the same)

As I've said in a previous thread: The PC version has all the original content, so its value stems primarily from that. But the PSP/3DS versions have much better graphics and voice acting, which frankly make the experience a lot more enjoyable, even if the story is missing one chapter.

So the question comes down to what you value more. If you plan on getting both anyway, I'd advice playing the PC version and then the PSP/3DS version, since if you do it the other way around you'll be struck with quite a feeling of downgrade. If you're only going to get one version though, I recommend the PSP/3DS version since the experience they provide is a lot more superior to the original game. Yes, it's missing one chapter that was later added to the PC version, but imho that's not enough to excuse buying one over the other. The original game can really only be recommended if you're super into the franchise and want to see how the earliest version of the game was like.

3ds

Number of Extra Chapters: 14. Four exclusive to this version of the game.

Main benefits of playing this version: Exclusive Extra Chapters of considerable length and interactivity, which help fill in some gaps in the story and develop side characters who don’t otherwise get a lot of screen time. Higher resolution character sprites than its PSP counterpart, perfectly matching the resolution of the game’s background art (if this bothered you in the PSP version, you know exactly why this is so notable; if it didn’t, you’re probably just scratching your head right now!). Some new music tracks, including a really awesome arrangement of the classic Chapter 1 BGM.

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/142874655105/corpse-party-pc-3ds-victims-memoirs-1

Edited by ShinRaikdou

But dem PC art is 'shoo cute!

PC - Corpse Party, original
brVKm0C.jpg (640×480)
Note Ayumi actually has brown hair here, matching her in game sprite, but then for the PSP remakes they decided since literally err other girl had brown hair she should be special and so they revamped her to blueish gray hair instead (but didn't change the sprite in PSP):

PSP - Corpse Party Blood Covered, remake
 UA09GK8.jpg
AYUMI Y U BLUE HAIR ART BUT BROWN SPRITE MANG,,,, also note the poster above mentions how psp in game sprites were pretty pixelated compared to in game environment.backgrounds which is fixed in 3DS...

3DS - Corpse Party Blood Covered: Repeated Fear, remake 2
PFrVue8.png
...Because since the 3ds has l0l resolution they're able to make the pixels/sprite/backgrounds look cleaner than PSP did. And also yey, Ayumi's artwork & sprite are finally consistent bluegrey hair nao!

17 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

But dem PC art is 'shoo cute!

PC - Corpse Party, original
brVKm0C.jpg (640×480)
Note Ayumi actually has brown hair here, matching her in game sprite, but then for the PSP remakes they decided since literally err other girl had brown hair she should be special and so they revamped her to blueish gray hair instead (but didn't change the sprite in PSP):

PSP - Corpse Party Blood Covered, remake
 UA09GK8.jpg
AYUMI Y U BLUE HAIR ART BUT BROWN SPRITE MANG,,,, also note the poster above mentions how psp in game sprites were pretty pixelated compared to in game environment.backgrounds which is fixed in 3DS...

3DS - Corpse Party Blood Covered: Repeated Fear, remake 2
PFrVue8.png
...Because since the 3ds has l0l resolution they're able to make the pixels/sprite/backgrounds look cleaner than PSP did. And also yey, Ayumi's artwork & sprite are finally consistent bluegrey hair nao!

I didn't know PSP had inferior graphics compared to the 3DS. At least that is what it seems looking to these two pictures.

And guys, what about the relevance of the PC exclusive chapter to the story? Is it worth reading it?

That's just a bad case of image resizing on my part, since PSP is optimized for 480x272, and 3DS 400x240. or something idk

Anywho, here's a decent length QA blog session that XSeed had for the 3DS remake regarding the cut content:

"– Worry the Fourth: I heard some of the PC version content was too gruesome for the PSP version of the game! Is that true? And is that gruesome content present in your PC release?!

We’ve heard that too… from you guys! The rumor is, some of the content from the PC version was removed for the handheld ports solely to prevent the game from getting too high a CERO rating in Japan, but I’m… honestly not sure if that’s true or not. There are definitely some endings unique to the PC version, but none of them seem any more gruesome than some of the endings present in all versions of Corpse Party. There’s a rather unsettling insect-related scene in the PC game that isn’t present in the PSP version, but that’s likely because the PC game was released episodically in Japan, and Chapter 5 (where the scene in question plays) didn’t actually come out until after the PSP game, meaning it’s more of an addition for PC fans than an omission for PSPers. (This is supported by the scene’s subsequent inclusion in the 3DS version of the game.)

Other than the odd ending here and there, the only thing I know for certain that was removed from the PC version when it made the jump to PSP is… a trail of blood on the hallway floor during one particular scene. I can’t say for certain why that was removed, but I don’t see how it would’ve affected the game’s content rating when other parts of the game are far, far more disturbing.

And either way, once again, you needn’t worry about things being removed or altered on our end: everything present in the final Japanese PC release of the game will be present in our PC release as well, just as everything present in the Japanese 3DS game will be present in our 3DS release. We will be making absolutely no content changes on either front."

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/142874655105/corpse-party-pc-3ds-victims-memoirs-1