Rance 5D and Rance VI

Martic

Just now, Tyrosyn said:

Everything the coupon shop has to offer is farmable, except presents. I don't think it's very hard to make the right deduction here :P

Interesting point of view.
I did indeed use the shop to buy a bunch of orbs and... nothing else.

I'll probably regret it now that I've finished the game, for it's time to 100% everything and that means I'll be fighting game-breakingly unbalanced stuff they didn't have the guts to include in the main storyline, where every stat bonus counts.

12 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

I gave about 4 presents to Kimchi believing upping her FR would actually do something.

... It doesn't do much. Still bitter about it :( 

Ironically, instead of giving her presents which are limited, you can just decide to be NOT nice to her and instead do her hard with a monkey orb for a FR+1 every time which is the same as giving her one present.
Being nice to her terminates the chance of the cheap FR-Bonus. Very Rance-like.
(At least as far as I played ^^)

If you go to the Nearby Forest dungeon and beeline for the adventure point pick ups you usually make 35 adventure points. If you do about 5 battles by just pressing M to auto encounter, you get 40 points within 5-10 minutes total.

Edited by Shioxus

8 minutes ago, Shioxus said:

If you go to the Nearby Forest dungeon and beeline for the adventure point pick ups you usually make 35 adventure points. If you do about 5 battles by just pressing M to auto encounter, you get 40 points within 5-10 minutes total.

At what level? Most of the nearby forest kicked my arse for half the game and the advanced route took way too long to traverse. I maintain my claim that Italia is faster if you know where they all are.

@Tyrosyn Okay, if I may blunt here it's a little bit annoying if you need to view event, only that you lack of orb in order to continue to do that. It's not helped that you need to do random encounter to gain some adventure point in order to gain orb (Especially Eagle one, which need a lot of point to get). While there orb matter and the slow battle (No auto battle) as unfavorable mechanic there, ultimately it didn't matter because I'd still enjoying this (For now at least).

PS - Just in case you need more Rance VI review, here's the review which also make comparison with FF12. Oh, and speaking about FF12, I think in regard of grinding you'll do more in FF12 (Money and License Point) compared to Rance VI.

Edited by littleshogun

4 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

At what level? Most of the nearby forest kicked my arse for half the game and the advanced route took way too long to traverse. I maintain my claim that Italia is faster if you know where they all are.

I was able to go through the East and West forest areas. I go through the East area with Rance by himself, and the west with a full party consisting of Rance, Kaoru, Rocky, and Megadeath. I would say it's a mid game area maybe, as I started doing this when you unlock the Autumn Forest dungeon.

@Dexmael Read this qoute from alicesoft.wikia about calculator cube:

• Each corner has a number puzzle, with each floor tile numbered with 1-9 dots. Step on the tiles in a certain order to close each corner. Note that what's important here is the sum of the numbers stepped on. For Sill the sum is "41" - for other characters to get S rank weapons in this dungeon, you need to figure out their sum. Basically, all 9 digits add up to 45, for 41, either leave 4 out, or leave 1 and 3 out. For 40, leave 5, or 2 and 3, or 1 and 4 out. For 43, leave 2 out.
  • Upper Left: 5, 1, 6, 2, 3, 7, 9, 8
  • Upper Right: 9, 6, 5, 8, 3, 1, 7, 2
  • Lower Left: 9, 2, 5, 7, 6, 8, 4
  • Lower Right: 6, 3, 7, 9, 1, 2, 5, 8
  • For Shizuka the sum is "40"
  • Upper Left: 5, 8, 9, 7, 3, 2, 6
  • Upper Right: 9, 6, 5, 8, 3, 2, 7
  • Lower Left: 9, 1, 4, 8, 6, 7, 5
  • Lower Right: 6, 4, 5, 8, 7, 9, 1
  • For Kanami the sum is "43", just avoid the number 2 field.
  • Not sure if it is the same for the rest of you, but the lower left puzzle seems to be flawed, and sends you to the centre unless the other puzzles are solved, so I suggest you do that one last.

Edit: Well, completion of 4 corners worked for me and I didn't have to do anything more. After every corner completed you are teleported back and after finishing all of them you should be notified about it.

Edited by furleppe
had to give more info

34 minutes ago, furleppe said:

@Dexmael Read this qoute from alicesoft.wikia about calculator cube:

Edit: Well, completion of 4 corners worked for me and I didn't have to do anything more. After every corner completed you are teleported back and after finishing all of them you should be notified about it.

Well thank you for digging up that quote because I never found it and believe me I looked

It was indeed the bug that was mentioned with the lower left corner.

After completely resetting every puzzle and trying again finishing in the lower left corner I finally managed to complete the puzzle

I thought I was going insane here ;)

Cheers mate

Edited by Dexmael

Finished 5D.  It was a short, kinda crappy little game that still had some charm, mostly because of Rance and how quirky it was.

It took me an absurd amount of time to realize that in order to level up the skills you needed to "overwrite" them with the same level skills.  I thought that I'd directly learn an Attack 2 skill, for example, by leveling up.  Nope.  I'm just lucky I realized it in time to be able to fix things.  I'm duuuumb~

Still a bit salty that I wasn't able to catch a Death Cutie.  I got two more capture ropes, but I never encountered another one, so I just beat the final boss with Rance, Rizna and Sill.  I used a Tokko that I captured fairly early on for most of the game where I didn't have Rizna, and substituted Sill during the Sunflower Heart/Core/whatever it's called fight with a Black Nurse that I just happened to pick up.

PS: Fuck Bird.

Right now I couldn't offer any notable tips, since this game was quite straightforward and easily understandable imo. Although if I may give one, just activate serious mode whenever any character had 2 SP in combat I guess (Serious mode increasing ATK and MAG power with all SP as the cost). Oh, actually there's encounter reducer item in Rance VI but the problem is that to obtained that it was quite random (Reward for completing map at 25% range). Hope I could offer some good tips later and if you wonder which upgrade that you should take for each character, wiki provide good guide for that.

PS - Although for now I'd rarely use it, use ibuprofen if you had 0 HP character with lot of SP remaining becuase the item will revive the character as well. And you could just restock it at the cheapest price if you had none (Only 100 G, with the more you had ibuprofen the price will be rise).

3 hours ago, sevencamelot said:

What's the chance of Rance Quest being released by mangagamer?  That game is really funny.

Probably pretty high, considering that Tulip Goddess Maria/bad end was fan translating it and 5D before MG struck a deal with Alicesoft, and that Rance 5D + 6 has been selling pretty well.  No idea what order they're gonna release them in, but I'd be pretty surprised if Rance Quest never saw an English release.

Kind of stuck at the "Sleepy Village" and the Avatar mission. How does the "cancel" charge attack works? Is it percent based chance to stop an charged attack?

Spoiler

Any tips how to defeat him and his almost impenetrable buddy? All characters I have are at lv 20 - 25 but most of them get killed in one charged blast from the Avatar. Got access to the following characters: Rance, Sill, Maria, Shizuka, Rizna, Kaoru, Rocky, Bernard, Prima, Cessna, Megadeath and Tamanegi. 

Edited by SilverLi

1 hour ago, SilverLi said:

Kind of stuck at the "Sleepy Village" and the Avatar mission. How does the "cancel" charge attack works? Is it percent based chance to stop an charged attack?

Hide contents

Any tips how to defeat him and his almost impenetrable buddy? All characters I have are at lv 20 - 25 but most of them get killed in one charged blast from the Avatar. Got access to the following characters: Rance, Sill, Maria, Shizuka, Rizna, Kaoru, Rocky, Bernard, Prima, Cessna, Megadeath and Tamanegi. 

Use Sil and Shizuka to damage him it should break h is charge the impenetrable buddy won't react to magic

Finally managed to finish Rance VI today.  Pretty solid game, and probably has the best story building out of all the Rance games I've played so far.  The gameplay got a bit tedious after a while though.  It felt as your characters didn't really grow any stronger as the game progressed.  Sure you get better stats, but the variety of skills you could use was fairly limited and while boss fights were still fairly engaging the random encounters were not.  Defensive stats are a bit wonky too since I believe the total defense/resistance measured as percent reduction overall.  So once I got Rocky around 80ish defense and a defense boost up even the heaviest of hitters were doing 0 to him, which pretty much broke the game.

Overall I still enjoyed the game and I'm glad I picked it up.  I would still say Sengoku Rance still tops it overall though due to it's more engaging and fun characters and it's better overall gameplay.

2 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Much, MUCH better gameplay :3

Yeah. SR's gameplay really is one of the very best you'll see in translated VNs, while VI feels kinda meh to me. I don't think it's bad, though.

I never liked dungeon crawlers in the first place, which is why I can't really enjoy like over half the entries of the Rance franchise. The army world conquering ones feel a lot nicer to me.