Oddball heroines and those who love them

Clephas

This is the other aspect of my 'different' heroine threads.  I covered the physical in my previous thread and now I want to touch on the mental/psychological.

Do you love evil heroines?  Then this is your home.

Do you love calculating/cold-blooded heroines?  Then this is your home.

Do you like your yandere fix?  Then this is your home.

Do you like your chuunibyou heroines?  Then this is your home.

Do you like mahou shoujo heroines?  Then this is your home.

Do you like overpowered heroines?  Then this is your home.

This thread, unlike the physical one, is often less than obvious.  It is actually easier to simply exclude character types that don't fit.  Tsundere, iyashikei, genkikko, etc. 

My favorite type is the cold-blooded/pragmatic heroine... what's yours?

For me we'd be looking at heroines that have devotion to insane levels, getting to Essentially worship someone. They need a willingness to follow any orders and ignore their own views. They don't need to be amoral or evil, but they do need to let their own sense of good or right behind to follow their superior's orders somewhat with ease. 

I found this character type a few times before, but usually in antagonists, unfortunately. 

I would say I like mahou shoujo heroines...but I'm not even sure if that's the case. A couple of these are cool/entertaining, but I don't love any of them. I guess I'll go for cold-blooded/pragmatic heroine. It feels good to watch resources being used well, if nothing else.

I like characters who I can relate to, admire, or adore.

Edited by Chronopolis

I do love a good overpowered heroine, there's something nice about a girl who could kick anyone's ass and really let you feel like a pretty princess.  Evil geniuses has also always had a soft spot in my heart, but I haven't really come across any such heroines.

I'm relatively new to VNs.. or at least my backlog is much larger than the number I've read, but I'm totally for odd ball characters. The trick is finding one that isn't just annoying in some way. Sadly it seems I might have to learn Japanese to truly embark on such a journey. Not that doing so would be bad. I'm just lazy. ;)

Do you love evil heroines?
Evil is good... so long as it's not the proverbial mustache twirling or cackling kind. At the very least they need to have a good motive.

Do you love calculating/cold-blooded heroines?
Yes, but again they need to have some basis for this to flesh out the character.

Do you like your yandere fix?
Mmmmm... sometimes you just need a fix of crazy. Fictional is definitely better than reality. Plus it can serve as a deterrent to your friends that have a habit of dating crazy people! "Here! read this VN to see what's wrong with your life!" I'm sure they'll appreciate it. (sarcasm).

Do you like your chuunibyou heroines?
Meh, if I'm in the mood for it.

Do you like mahou shoujo heroines?
Not sure if this is really oddball. You can have a super serious magic girl. Being a magic girl is not a seldom used archetype either. A full grown muscle man in a magical girl costume is an oddball... and disturbing to a degree.

Do you like overpowered heroines?
Overpowered? Not so much if you mean plot armored Mary Sue's. If you mean strong female characters that give no fraks, then sooooo yes.

Evil heroines: Kind of depends on what you mean. If you mean evil for evil's sake heroines like Saeki from Bible Black or Leona from Discipline then no. If we're talking heroines with an actual reason behind their villainy like the Sonohara twins of MinDead Blood or  Yuka from Gore Screaming Show (those are the only non-spoiler examples I can think of) then I'd say yes.

Calculating/cold blooded heroines: Again depends. I admit it's a good and often interesting character arc starting point at the very least, but it can be disappointing if at the end of the route that character trait is really all there is to the character. I will admit master tactician heroines can be cool.

Yanderes: Yes so long as it's not the only thing to their character like in say Hitomi My Stepsister. Shocking pair of endings yes, but at the end of the day what else was there aside from the shock value (and the ero)?

Chuunibyou: Haven't really encountered any good examples of this so, who knows?

Mahou Shoujo: Not yet. First give me an example of one that isn't a walking joke/Sailor Moon reference or monster rape bait and I'll gladly play that game.

Overpowered: I enjoyed Tsujidou-san no Junai Road and its fandisk (looking forward to the next game in the series Minato Carnival is advertising). Ai and Maki definitely fall into the overpowered section

On 20/12/2016 at 2:24 PM, Kaguya said:

For me we'd be looking at heroines that have devotion to insane levels, getting to Essentially worship someone. They need a willingness to follow any orders and ignore their own views. They don't need to be amoral or evil, but they do need to let their own sense of good or right behind to follow their superior's orders somewhat with ease. 

I found this character type a few times before, but usually in antagonists, unfortunately. 

Record of Lodoss War's Pirotasse would qualify as underling with devotion.

But then again, Lodoss is 20+ years old.