Monster, demon, god, spirit, etc heroines... and those of us who happen to love them

Clephas

It's been a while since I cleared the air on this issue, but understand that my first love when it comes to heroines is always going to be based on 'difference'.

Now, you ask, what does that mean?  There are two aspects to this... the physical and the mental.

In this thread, I seek to gather my fellow travelers who adore physical difference. 

Do you love mimikko?  You belong here. 

You like androids and AIs? You belong here.

Do you love a demonic heroine? You belong here.

Do you love a monstrous heroine who only has a sort-of humanoid face?  You belong here.

To be blunt, being attracted to what is different is one aspect of human nature that is very common in otaku in general.  Of course, there are exceptions (people who just like 'normal' moe girls with no fantastical or strange elements).  However, the fact is that many of us are driven by this kind of attraction to some extent.

So what's your favorite type of 'different' heroine?  (mine is the kitsune heroine)

I agree, kitsune heroines are fantastic. Think my 3 favorite types would have to be kitsune, angel and demon heroines.

Although I have only ever seen one, tanuki heroines are adorable. It's a shame she's only in a short nukige and not in a longer game with more depth. Rather wasted potential for a great character.

Spoiler

9YxPRKc.png

A short list of really good mostly non-violent inhuman heroine series/games.

Inpyuri (youkai)

Vanadis' monster girl games (generally hilarious and interesting despite being overly sex-focused in some of them)

Kaminoyu (all non-human heroines, ranging from a kitsune to an art-eating cyclops green slime)

Sakura Iro Quartet (mimikko, including a dog, a fox, and a rabbit)

Otomimi Infinity (a variety of mimikko)

Toppara (all but one heroine is non-human... all of them youkai)

Meguri Megureba Megurutoki  (ghost and bakeneko)

Komorebi no Nostalgica (android/AI)

World Election

(the list goes on, feel free to add your own choices)

Anything with an aura, presence. Strong fighters. Heroines who roam, or who have perhaps, at once point roamed the earth.
A real magician. AI.

The exoticism is something, for sure. But usually I like it best when it serves to heighten one's sensitivity to the relationship (as it is unusual).

You know what? Witches. A witch could be absolutely anything. It hasn't been explored as much, plus even in a single setting, witches can be quite different from each other.

But I think, part of exoticism is besides their different nature, and is just the fact that the things they care about and deal with are not the usual things in *our* world: the ultimate mundane. In that sense, unless you've read enough VN's to have lived in them, even a simple charage herione has that sort of advantage.

edit: black long hair is a winner for me.

Edited by Chronopolis

I don't find non-human appearances appealing overall (sci-fi, cyberpunk stuff eg. robots stand a chance but animals are NNNNNNNOPE except mermaids perhaps). However, if the characters explore that non-humanity, like how a few VNs I would not name have an AI character that tries to figure out what love is, then they can become incredible characters. A few of my favorite heroines/female characters (heroines being "romance-able female characters") are memorable solely for this reason.

TL;DR: AIs with a good story that explores being an AI make great heroines

Edited by Funyarinpa

I have a particular fondness for AI heroines; depending on the setting, it can be a gynoid, but might as well be any artificially created being, regardless if organic or not; automatons, humunculi, etc. That aside, monster girls. Man, I could talk about them for ages. Unfortunately, I also have a weakness for cat girls and kitsune.

I adore actual anthropomorfic heroines in general, but it's rare to see anything good nowadays, since anime tends to scale more towards kemonomimis and mecha musume.

Cx8-3n0UsAArXlJ.jpg

51103272_p29.png

3 hours ago, Narcosis said:

I have a particular fondness for AI heroines; depending on the setting, it can be a gynoid, but might as well be any artificially created being, regardless if organic or not; automatons, humunculi, etc. That aside, monster girls. Man, I could talk about them for ages. Unfortunately, I also have a weakness for cat girls and kitsune.

I adore actual anthropomorfic heroines in general, but it's rare to see anything good nowadays, since anime tends to scale more towards kemonomimis and mecha musume.

Cx8-3n0UsAArXlJ.jpg

Wow the, first one is pretty adorable.

Mimikko's, they don't draw me in automatically, but each type (I prefer wolf or fox) has its subtle and not so subtle draws (the type of ears + their appearance hints and what their nature could be like, which is a bit removed from normal human). Even oni horns is similiar.

Though, the ears and other features usually need to work together with the character's general appearance to have an effect.

Three Mimikko pictures. Third picture is NSFW (nothing explicit though)

Spoiler

bZd9Cph.jpg

Wildness, Litheness, Grace, taciturness

JDfG2VL.jpg

Some feralness and indomitability, pride on some level, has some important ceremonious position in her group.

IU4Stlg.jpg

From left to right:

Calm judgment, aloofness.

Animal enthusiasm, expressiveness, and transparency in emotion.

Alluring, yet slightly demure. The ears make her appear more tranquil than would appear otherwise (you don't associate mimi-ko's with un-nessasitiated violence)

Artificially created being is just super interesting. (when you don't have to factor in the possibly of getting caught in the crossfire and wrecked ala in-person sci-fi). I would say youkai in general, because they too can have very remarkable backstories and can emanate that dramatic aura, where for a human heroine its usually situational.

Edited by Chronopolis