Desperate Answer Needed-Is it safe to travel to Italy?

infel

Hi everyone, I know this may sound a little odd, but I honestly don't have anywhere else to turn too....I'm looking for some advice from people on whether or not it's safe to travel to Venice and Florence in Italy. My family will be going very soon, but I myself haven't made a decision. 

You see I am someone who suffers from severely from being anxious and even slightly paranoid, which is not healthy for me when it comes to traveling. If I go on this trip I have to take four planes, two there and two back and each time we have to stop off in London which I'm also not sure about. I'm nervous about three things; taking a plane, being in London, and being in Italy. I know my fears have some value to them given how crappy this year has been, but my family wants me to go. I'd really like some advice from users on here. It would be even better if you lived in Italy and or London or have visited there, but any advice or opinions. I need to give my mom an answer by tomorrow night 

Sorry if this is out of nowhere. I've tried talking to my family but my mom doesn't really get it or care and my sister is to busy to care. I honestly feel a bit alienated but that's an entirely different story. Please, I need help. 

10 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

The years of lead ended ages ago, Italy is a safe country expecially in tourist locations. 

Thank you. I am sorry if this comes off as offensive in away to anyone who lives there or enjoys it. I am someone who sadly suffers badly from anxiety and slight paranoia, which gives me a overactive imagination. Honestly I shouldn't have read the news. I read that people were protesting in Venice due to it being hard to live there and I also feel bad about that. I don't like contributing to hurting people either, so Im still not sure, but that's for your honest opinion. 

46 minutes ago, infel said:

I know my fears have some value to them given how crappy this year has been, but my family wants me to go.

It really doesn't. At all.

I don't understand why so many of my fellow Americans are scared to travel to other countries. Most of them are safe if you keep to yourself, and act accordingly. The world isn't as scary as the media makes it seem.

5 minutes ago, infel said:

Thank you. I am sorry if this comes off as offensive in away to anyone who lives there or enjoys it. I am someone who sadly suffers badly from anxiety and slight paranoia, which gives me a overactive imagination. Honestly I shouldn't have read the news. I read that people were protesting in Venice due to it being hard to live there and I also feel bad about that. I don't like contributing to hurting people either, so Im still not sure, but that's for your honest opinion. 

Venice is sinking into the sea because its a stupid place to live. That coupled with high unemployment will get people out into the streets. That said, still a good tourist city. You'll be fine. 

14 minutes ago, bigfatround0 said:

It really doesn't. At all.

I don't understand why so many of my fellow Americans are scared to travel to other countries. Most of them are safe if you keep to yourself, and act accordingly. The world isn't as scary as the media makes it seem.

You'd get along with my sister then. She says the same thing.  I've stayed away from the news as much as possible due to my condition, but still get things from time to time due to being on Twitter (though I only follow game devs yet still get news). I guess the news has poisoned a lot of people's minds, including some of mine sadly. 

10 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

Venice is sinking into the sea because its a stupid place to live. That coupled with high unemployment will get people out into the streets. That said, still a good tourist city. You'll be fine. 

Thanks for letting me know. It's sad that's happening though...

Edited by infel

6 minutes ago, infel said:

I don't know the specifics of the protest you are talking about. I can say most locals lives far from the hysorical center and there are problems related to the economical crisis, immigration unemplyment etc.

34 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

I don't know the specifics of the protest you are talking about. I can say most locals lives far from the hysorical center and there are problems related to the economical crisis, immigration unemplyment etc.

Oh it's about the influx of tourists in Venice but it ties in with the economy. Here we too have problems with those things so I guess it's a common thing around the rood. 

20 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

Anyway, don't miss the chance to visit Lucca and Pisa while you're in Tuscany.

And thanks =). If I go I'll visit those places if I can. I want to see the  Leaning Tower of Pisa.

There's no traveling that's 100% safe. But don't ever miss the chance to visit any foreign country. You'll get more experiences than you think it will.

I've never visited Europe but I did visit most of latinamerica countries and each one of them left memories I'll never forget.

Travel as much as you can, as long as you can. I can guarantee it will worth both the time and money you spend.

1 hour ago, infel said:

Oh it's about the influx of tourists in Venice but it ties in with the economy. Here we too have problems with those things so I guess it's a common thing around the rood. 

And thanks =). If I go I'll visit those places if I can. I want to see the  Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Ah that's because the hystorical center is becoming more and more a sort of tourist exclusive area.

edit: That's not mean they will riot against tourists, they're asking for some regulations to make the old town more livable for the locals (which is imho bullshit because there's no way to regulate tourism)

Edited by WinterfuryZX

Well, by far the most "dangerous" thing there for you is taking those planes. I know of a famous mental patient that felt ill after traveling to Japan (long journey), with interesting results, maybe you know about this. What I mean is that plane travels can mess your mind up.

Italy is a country as safe as the next one, but there will be undoubtedly people there, especially if you go to tourist places, so take that into account.

You don't specify if you're being forced to go or not -but if you feel safer where you are, don't go? Your decision really.

You have to understand as a tourist you're not going to experience the same hardships as the locals. Most popular cities are filled with tourist attractions for you to enjoy your time in. 

For example, I consider my country a pretty shitty place to live in, but if I was here as a tourist there's so many things to see that I would likely not even be bothered by the many problems the country is facing. 

As long as it's not a warzone, most countries are a pretty nice place to visit. 

45 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

As long as it's not a warzone, most countries are a pretty nice place to visit. 

Not sure about that, there are countries that, while not being at war, have a lot of security problems. Bribes, robberies, violence, et cetera. I heard some places of Africa with no war are at the same time not very nice. Or places in the Far East such as Thailand. Or autocracies such as Turkmenistan or Belarus.

Also with my previous post I tried to take into account the OP's anxiety problem. In theory, if you're not feeling completely okay, a trip can be tolling, because of the change of environment, the unfamiliarness, and so on. It's... just stressful (if you're not feeling well in the first place). Despite the stress, the trip can still be a lot of fun, and a meaningful experience. The OP just has to make a decision.

Edited by Okarin

4 minutes ago, Okarin said:

Not sure about that, there are countries that, while not being at war, have a lot of security problems. Bribes, robberies, violence, et cetera. I heard some places of Africa with no war are at the same time not very nice. Or places in the Far East such as Thailand. Or autocracies such as Turkmenistan or Belarus.

Also with my previous post I tried to take into account the OP's anxiety problem. In theory, if you're not feeling completely okay, a trip can be tolling, because of the change of environment, the unfamiliarness, and so on. It's... just stressful (if you're not feeling well in the first place). Albeit the stress, the trip can still be a lot of fun, and a meaningful experience. The OP just has to make a decision.

Well yes, obviously there are countries with bigger security problems, but travel agencies will typically warn you about things like that. There are certain types of conduct you should have when you travel anyway so you don't get robbed. Every single country has robbers after all.

What I meant with my post is that most countries have good things to offer if you're a tourist. That includes African countries, despite the security concerns with some of them.

Europe in particular though tends to be the most tourist friendly, as long as you're in populated tourist zones, so OP shouldn't have to worry much.

52 minutes ago, Okarin said:

"security problems" lol

You'll be fine as long as you know how to act accordingly. So many stupid tourists get into shit because they don't know how to act or they flaunt their money. Just keep your head down, have as little cash as possible on hand, and don't carry any valuables. A thief might be in need of money but that's all they need. Just hand it over if confronted by one and don't try to be a hero. Also don't go looking for drugs in an area outside of tourist destinations unless you speak the language and can pass off as a person from that country. There really is no reason to be scared of poor or crime ridden areas. Most people are just trying to live their life and won't mess with you unless you do stupid shit.

Edited by bigfatround0

Venice have some problems with tourists some years ago but now they are resolved, you will don't have problems,if you go to Florence you need to visit Gustapizza and Il Pizzaiulo, seriously the best pizzas that i eat.

About London, i don't know the actual situation, but one tip is to always have a umbrella in the hand, seriously it start rain out of nowhere.

If you are insecure try don't deviate from the touristic locations and always walk in group, touristic spots tend to have more policing.

Planes are one of the most secure way to travel, i travel by plane several times in the year (at least 8 times in 2016) and never have any problem, you could take a sedative if you are too nervous.

41 minutes ago, Norleas said:

Venice have some problems with tourists some years ago but now they are resolved, you will don't have problems,if you go to Florence you need to visit Gustapizza and Il Pizzaiulo, seriously the best pizzas that i eat.

There are still problems and occasional protests:

http://www.vvox.it/2016/09/11/venezia-la-protesta-in-mille-contro-turismo-mal-gestito/

I think that's bullshit because tourism brings money and you have to deal with it, even if you feel your native town hystorical center has been "stolen" from you.

For food you should to visit the so called Food Vally (where I live), for Pizza, Naples.

Edited by WinterfuryZX

1. You're paranoid.  Probably should get some help with that.
  2. Travel abroad is risky.  Many bad things can happen even in the safest of areas: missing your plane, being pickpocketed, losing your luggage, getting lost.
  3. Given your anxiety problems it might be best to let someone else manage the trip, someone reliable who's both good at planning and able to improvise when unexpected things happen.