Asonn

Dies irae! kickstarter project commenced!

The stretch goals are up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986219362/dies-irae-english-localization-project-commences/posts/1772515

Yeeesh. They're bad.

1) Vita was moved up $50,000. So count out vita fan support.

2) In its place at $200,000 is a 16 page booklet addition to the physical editions. SIXTEEN WHOLE PAGES FOR $40,000.

3) Interview with Kaziklu Bey is just gone. Guess we're never getting that.

4) The fan book collection was downgraded to a single fan book.

Hope this inspires you to pledge more!!

Edited by Decay

34 minutes ago, Rose said:

It baffles me to even try and imagine how the hell they thought this would do anything but harm to the project.

40k for a 16 pages booklet is just ???????

You can clearly see the line of logic that led to this decision. PR team comes to light saying they need a stretch goal low-tier backers will like (they don't but that's another story). Cut to some business dude in Japan who has never seen a Kickstarter project before. "Let's see, we could enhance the physical edition. We probably don't want the goal to be for more than $40,000 extra. We'll expect to have X many backers. Account for markup so we can make a profit and... a 16 page booklet, perfect! Let's go with that!"

This is part of the reason why you don't want to do pot sweeteners as stretch goals. If you're making a stretch goal, the best way to go about it is to either reach a new market with it (different platforms), or to make it something that everyone will be able to appreciate. This especially goes for early tiers. An example would be a translation for Interview with Kaziklu Bey, that's a goal everyone can get behind. Instead, they got rid of that, and added a product that you have to back at a certain level for, and a really freaking shabby one at that. 

Also digital vita version only for 100$ is just plain hilarious for so many reasons, I don't even want to comment on that one. Coupled with upping the goal itself, looks like they really don't want any pledges from the console gamers. Gosh, I hope they won't ruin anything else and we'll at least reach the base goal without any needless adventures. 

2 hours ago, Decay said:

The stretch goals are up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986219362/dies-irae-english-localization-project-commences/posts/1772515

Yeeesh. They're bad.

1) Vita was moved up $50,000. So count out vita fan support.

This is stupid, didn't they follow SnK kickstarter?

Edited by WinterfuryZX

Greenlight page is up: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=827023212

And the funding is now $1000 under what it was six hours ago. Good shit.

edit: Also the greenlight went up over 5 hours ago but they never bothered to tell anybody. Extra good shit.

Edited by Decay

Thats not funny at all.
I'm 'monitoring' this KS for a few hours now and every ~20 minuts tehre is one backer/houndreds of dollars less.
KS got its momentum. Unfortunatelly it's backwards momentum. Mob psychology - The more people will see that others are withdrawing - the more the will be inclined to withdraw as well. Horrible day for this project.

EDIT:
Damage controll protocol #1 - deployed.

Dear Backers,

We would like to address the stretch goals with the higher price from the Prefundia page. From the inception of the project beginning with the Prefundia page, we misunderstood "add-ons" as being "items available for purchase after stretch goals are met".

Starting with the Prefundia page, you have been giving us your ideas and pointing us in the right direction. We would like to assure you that your words have not gone unheeded. With the launch of the Kickstarter, changes to the rewards were made. Because of these changes, budget adjustments necessitated the higher stretch goals.

However, with the higher goals in mind, we truly want to deliver merchandise of the highest quality.

Regarding the PS Vita version available set at the $100 reward tier:

The PS Vita version was not included in the initial development schedule. We are extremely thankful for backers' interest in a PS Vita version, however, due to development and download site expenses, we regrettably have to limit the stretch goal to only backers who pledged an amount of $100.00 USD or more.

We hope you will keep fighting on with us to make the project a success. We are working non-stop to include more of your suggestions, so please look forward to updates coming soon.

Edited by Vorathiel

"We would like to address the stretch goals with the higher price from the Prefundia page. From the inception of the project beginning with the Prefundia page, we misunderstood "add-ons" as being "items available for purchase after stretch goals are met". "

top kek.

This is gonna fail.

I came back a few days later to see what's going on with this VN and I see some bad news on the horizon.

It looks like this Kickstarter is starting to go downhill fast and PR handled it with one of these statements:

"We misunderstood "add-ons" as being "items available for purchase after stretch goals are met."

Wait, really?

It sounds to me that they don't know what is going on right now. What they're doing and what they're promoting either.

Edited by jetpack003

How unfortunate this seems to be going south quicker than Trump's approval rating. I am not overly fond of them only doing a steam version and not at least offering us the Mangagamer version. It's like they want us to buy it again. If anything it just makes me want to lower my pledge so I can buy the Mangagamer version instead after the campaign is over. I won't mind you because I want the game at least to succeed in making it but that's very unlikely at this point. The vita stretch goal while expensive likely has something to do with the fact the Vita is dying and Sony is stopping support of it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they increased publication fees. That said though for the few people who actually wanted a vita version it definitely is not looking good. 

The stretch rewards are a joke and they likely would have been better off ignoring all of them except the vita version. I also can't be the only one who was thinking the game itself should have been set at 120,000 or even 140,000 instead of 160,000. 160,000 is just unlikely especially at the time of the kickstarter happening. Some of us know what it the game is but the average fan likely doesn't. It does not help that advertising wise has been kinda missing. I haven't seen mentioned of Dies Irae kickstarter on any of the main gaming sites so that won't really help them.

More than any of this though the number one way that they messed up the campaign is they had it in December/January the absolute worst months for all kickstarter projects according to data. 

They could probably get people to back more if the extras for backing were actually decent and fit what the backers actually would want. 

Guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of this.  

I love how everybody blames marketing and stretch goals for the fact that the campaign isn't successful here. A few weeks ago, weren't we raving about all the ways they were pandering to the community with the initial Kickstarter setup?

• 18+ patch in addition to the new all ages content, check.
  • 18+ patch is free, check. (Isn't this still the case, in spite of Kyrt's comment? If not, it's a valid complaint, but I was pretty sure from the Prefundia this was a guarantee)
  • Uncropped original assets as well as assets resized for HD, check.
  • Known good translators, check.

And despite all that, now we're complaining about stretch goals when they're in real danger of not hitting the base? Or complaining about lack of goodies at higher tiers (incidentally, I do sympathize in that I would totally spring for the $400 tier and the art book, except that it's locked behind a $300k stretch goal... so, fair, to some extent).

I think the problem here isn't so much PR or marketing, or stretch goals and reward tiers, or even in the time of the year. You could probably adjust all of those to get a bit more cash, sure, maybe even to have met the minimum goal by now, but they were probably never going to make those stretch goals no matter what you put there. The game is just too niche, and the people excited about it don't have the money needed to localize it. English VN localization for games like this one, too focused on a good story and not enough focused on titillation, is just aimed at too small a market, and right now it's dreaming too big.

And that sucks.

There's nothing really relevant in stretch goals anyway, maybe the artbook, but that would be impossible to reach. Vita version is digital only and overpriced.

edit: Announcing MG collaboration right now is just another stupid decision. It has nothing to do with backers.

I demand something like 99% rabat coupon on the MangaGamer version for all bakers with digital version.

People are already asking for crazy unreasonable shit. Some dealings should remain secret, really...

Edited by WinterfuryZX

53 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

edit: Announcing MG collaboration right now is just another stupid decision. It has nothing to do with backers.

I demand something like 99% rabat coupon on the MangaGamer version for all bakers with digital version.

People are already asking for crazy unreasonable shit. Some dealings should remain secret, really...

Is it really unreasonable?
Making digital tiers only on Steam it's dangerously close to fucking people up their asses. I don't even have steam on my VN laptop, I don't even have an internet here. And if I would be forced to read DI with steam clinet in the background... I probably wouldn't read it at all. [well, I would download a cracked torrent and play it on my laptop, but it's illegal, and feels bad, when you actually own the game and can't play it legally].

1 hour ago, kyrt said:

The vita stretch goal while expensive likely has something to do with the fact the Vita is dying and Sony is stopping support of it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they increased publication fees. That said though for the few people who actually wanted a vita version it definitely is not looking good. 

Completely absurd and baseless speculation. By all signs, they lowered it, if anything. Not to mention I'm way past laughing at the "few" remark every time. 

But yeah, people start forgetting the strategic failures from the very beginning. 

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

A few weeks ago, weren't we raving about all the ways they were pandering to the community with the initial Kickstarter setup?

Not really, quite a few were sceptical about the month, sudden strart and extremely weak tiers, even on this site. 

Edited by novurdim

Can the west stop overrating the impact of dies irae already?

No one is waiting for this shit. BUT THE POLL ALWAYS HAVE DIES AS NUMBER 1. Yeah its the same backers that voted.

And for u retards think a 1 cour shitty anime adaption will change anything, get real. It will end up like demonbane and rewrite in the west, with other words flopping in views and sales.

Dies its not even the best game in 2009, baldr sky and muramase are better in that year.

1 minute ago, Kamigeorkusoge said:

No one is waiting for this shit. BUT THE POLL ALWAYS HAVE DIES AS NUMBER 1. Yeah its the same backers that voted.

And for u retards think a 1 cour shitty anime adaption will change anything, get real. It will end up like demonbane and rewrite in the west, with other words flopping in views and sales.

Dies its not even the best game in 2009, baldr sky and muramase are better in that year.

Ok. 

12 minutes ago, Kamigeorkusoge said:

Obviously, some people will dislike Dies Irae or think it isn't that great (like me), like many people think that Fullmetal Alchemist, Gintama, Clannad, SnK, Code Geass or any other overrated bullshit isn't that great or even good to begin with. But we all know that most people think otherwise. Most people love those anime and lots of people love Dies Irae. So you can't ignore it like that. Yes, I think it's overrated, but I don't act like my opinion is the only right one or something along those lines. Dies Irae is loved. Deal with it.

Well, trolling aside, I too don't really get why some say it should have funded itself so no real PR or good tiers are even needed and people are traitors for pulling out. 

Light has no following in the west. None. Unlike clannad, Grisaia and muv luv they had no popular anime, no fantranslation, literally nothing in English to form a community that could fund it either way. All it has is a bunch of Japanese speaking fellows who hype it up like crazy and some people who believe them for word. And, honestly, it got very far on that "believing" alone already while for some weird reason aiming for the results of that trio. They had to make up for the absence of real community with communication, great and varied merchandise, and passion. In that regard it's in no way better position than RD or Libra. But instead we got weird apathy from Light and failure on all KS fronts. It's not community's fault and it doesn't "suck", it's a simple logical conclusion of someone failing miserably at their work, and I don't really mean the useless PR team right now. 

Edited by novurdim