Dec 2016 Goals

(Posted on the front site.)

Hey everybody, hope you’re safe and doing well (and doing well in Final Exams, if that applies to you). This post is to brief you on the various initiatives I and other Fuwa team members hope to accomplish by the end of the year.

Original VN Tracker

Last month Batman announced that we were looking into tracking original visual novels (VNs) in an analogous fashion to VNTS and translated VNs. While I don’t want to spoil the specifics, I can confirm both my project prototype and database were completed and approved by the rest of the team. In essence, that means this project is about ready to roll, so please look forward to its launch later this month.

Note to VN Devs: In the coming days/weeks we will be rolling out the listing standards and directed contact information. It’s difficult for me to track all of the devs which have contacted me on this issue, so please stay tuned for more information published to this site. I will not have policy or standards ready for you before that time.

Year-End Surveys

I’ve consulted with the math geeks who help me out each December, and I’m told the statistical models are ready. All that remains is for me to finish writing the surveys and pass them by volunteer editors for comment and feedback. I can’t promise an ETA, but I do plan on running the surveys for approximately one week (as is the usual for our year-end surveys).

Games Database (Front Site)

The games database will now focus on releases (original VNs; Licensed TLs; Fan-Translated Patches). My goal is to add entries near or at the same time as sitting down to complete VNTS posts. By December’s end, my goal is to have all 2016 releases added to the site.  Lastly, while I do not have any progress to report regarding a true-database implementation, I can confirm that I am still actively working on this issue.

For your edification, here is a nearly-complete listing of VN translation projects which were released in 2016. I believe we are missing only a handful.

[ See post on front site for this table ]

True Org Email with Unified Lists

Clearly the sexiest update on the post: the email system for administrators and project leaders is going to be overhauled, and certain team members will receive complete org software (limited by cost).

Year-End Public Report

Once the surveys are completed, I will be posting a year-end report of the state of the site. I plan on breaking down traffic patterns, survey results, site finances, and planned action items.

3 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

What will be the value-added aspect of the game database over what's currently available on VNDB?

I'm expecting it's just gonna look better. One thing I'd like to see is to have our own community scores

But yeah, this sounds interesting. Looking forward to the final product

Some of the main goals include an interface that's more convenient for people who are interested in playing VNs in English. It will only contain translated VNs, and will present information on how to read them in english as clearly as possible, as well as additional information like technical Q&As and walkthroughs. 

If the plans for an actual proper database system crystallizes, one of Tay's plans was to integrate translation status and tracking, similar to Tinfoil's abandoned translation tracker.